Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid of failure!

Hi everyone! I just turned 60 and I have been reading about the Lapband for a couple of years. But at the point that I am REALLY getting serious about it. I will be self-pay, which scares me, cuz I worry about failure. I have done Weight Watchers, kept it off for a while and it crept back on. Did Medifast, it crept back on. You see the pattern? I worry about failure. I am not concerned about getting food stuck or sliming, cuz I do that now. And, I know how to deal with that. I know my life will change drastically with the 'band'. Eating changes. I want to be me of those people that Eat to Live, not Live to Eat. I want to like myself again. Sometimes I wonder how my husband can love me. He is so supportive tho, regardless of what I want to do. I want to know what makes this different for YOU, rather than other things you have done? I think that is my big question for anyone out there reading this. I am in SW Washington state. Thanks everyone!

For me, the difference is hunger. Because the band controls my appetite, I feel satisfied on very little food. Whereas before I had the band I'd be starving all the time so constantly grazing a preoccupied with food. Now, it's no longer an issue. Plus, because it takes so little food to satisfy me, I don't feel deprived.

Btw, you get food stuck and slime now? Without the band? Why?

I am not sure why I get food stuck. At one time I was told I had a small hiatal hernia. food will get stick, feels like I am chocking. Will do Lamaze type breathing and it will pass, or sometimes have to throw up. Before it passes I will start sliming. I am assuming that is what it is. My mouth keeps producing saliva and no where for it to go.

What you said about feeling satisfied without gorging! That is what I need! Want! I am not worried about working hard to do this, have done it several times with other diets. I just need some help!

if you try....and do the best you can....how can you fail..

Hi everyone! I just turned 60 and I have been reading about the Lapband for a couple of years. But at the point that I am REALLY getting serious about it. I will be self-pay, which scares me, cuz I worry about failure. I have done Weight Watchers, kept it off for a while and it crept back on. Did Medifast, it crept back on. You see the pattern? I worry about failure. I am not concerned about getting food stuck or sliming, cuz I do that now. And, I know how to deal with that. I know my life will change drastically with the 'band'. Eating changes. I want to be me of those people that Eat to Live, not Live to Eat. I want to like myself again. Sometimes I wonder how my husband can love me. He is so supportive tho, regardless of what I want to do. I want to know what makes this different for YOU, rather than other things you have done? I think that is my big question for anyone out there reading this. I am in SW Washington state. Thanks everyone!

You sound very motivated. And those who are motivated do well. Here's my experience. I used to be hungry all the time...starving actually though that's ridiculous considering how much I stuffed myself. Now, I get hungry but not ravenous. And by the time I finish my band sized portion, I feel satisfied...not full. Full no longer exists. What you should hope to feel is satiety. With that satiety comes the control to not overeat or chose the wrong foods. I've been banded since mid January, and have lost 80 lbs so far. I have another 40 to go but have no doubts that I will make that goal. Good luck to you...I am confident you will not fail.

I am not sure why I get food stuck. At one time I was told I had a small hiatal hernia. food will get stick, feels like I am chocking. Will do Lamaze type breathing and it will pass, or sometimes have to throw up. Before it passes I will start sliming. I am assuming that is what it is. My mouth keeps producing saliva and no where for it to go.

What you said about feeling satisfied without gorging! That is what I need! Want! I am not worried about working hard to do this, have done it several times with other diets. I just need some help!

It's really important you figure out the cause of the reflux, stuck episodes, and vomiting before getting the Lap Band. All these things can lead to band slips and erosion so it's important they are addressed before surgery so you don't put yourself at heightened risk for complications. It's also important to make sure there isn't an underlying medical condition that would be contradictory to the band.

Best wishes.

That's exactly what it is a hiatal hernia, my doctor fixed mine when she did my band, and I no longer have to take anything for AR. A double blessing of this surgery. I'm in the Portland area so we are near neighbors!

Sorry you are having some issues, they don't sound like a lot of fun. I haven't had any of those issues with my band so far and it sounds like it just might help you out to have the band placed.

Some advice, since you are having these other issues maybe you can work your way around your insurance company to help you pay for the surgery….?

You're not a failure, and all those other diets and methods weren't failures either they were stepping stones on your journey. They taught you much, and have brought you to where you are today.

Best of luck for the future!

Hello CLG,

First, the hiatal hernia. Alot of bandsters had HH and were able to have it removed during the same surgery. Definitely keep your doctor abreast to coordinate those 2 surgeries at the same time= less recovery time. If your insurance does not pay for lapband they may pay for the hiatal hernia portion of the surgery (which means less the anesthesia, setup/supplies/equipment and recovery bed etc). Bonus for you!

As for the difference between the band and other diets...

The band is a unique tool that restricts your portion intake. It creates a second smaller stomach pouch on top of the band which typically holds 1/2c-1c of food per meal. On average it only stays in that pouch for a handful of minutes before funneling into the second (original) stomach for digestion. However, alot happens in those few minutes. 1) signals are sent to the brain to say you are full and typically after 1 cup you are indeed full and 2) when you have reached the limit of your pouch it becomes uncomfortable to eat more and discourages overeating.

Now I realize reading that makes it sound like you eat no food (1 cup seems so little right) and how would you ever be content on such small portions of food. But the reality is, you will be content and that is the magic bullet right there. No other diet provides that. All diets are about self control. But what happens when you become weak..you splurge, you binge, you repeat the process and weight packs on. The band (for me) prevents that viscious cycle from starting. And that has been my lifesaver. I indulge in just about every food, but whereas I use to eat 2-3 slices of pizza, I can only eat 1/3 of one slice, or when I use to easily eat a dozen+ Cookies, 2 will do etc.

I hope this helps you and good luck in whatever you decide :)

I am in your same age cohort, and a former resident of Everett WN.

I agree with what information others have previously posted regarding the need for your current medical issues to be addressed prior to having a bariatric procedure. In my case, I needed a non-band issue to be surgically corrected prior to being medically cleared to have my band placed. This resulted in a significant delay for band surgery, but it is a good plan to be in good medical condition before you begin your weight loss journey.

In my case, though I had lost significant amounts of weight(60-90 lbs. post pregnancies and medication side effects) several times and managed to keep it off for years, when I gained weight as a side effect of medications and was older than 50, I was unable to lose more than 40 pounds and even with that it was a monumental task to try to keep it off. I chalk it up to my metabolism going into hibernation...but I had to do something to get my A1C below the diabetic threshold.

I was also afraid of failure, but chose to face life with the band with the same determination for success as I had when I was younger. I have experienced some significant complications, and have managed to be reasonably successful with losing weight, and most of the time it was done without having any significant amount of Fluid in my band. I do not have the plication some of the members of this forum discuss from time to time. Recently, I have managed on average to lose around 2 lbs. a month with a totally empty band. Most of the accountability to manage my eating and appetite has to come from me, and because I am motivated to complete my journey successfully, my scale is continuing to move in the right direction.

Your motivation for success is the key to your success, IMHO. And from your post, you seem to have the motivation you will need. Understanding ahead of time that you will need to "get your head in the game" to modify your behavior with eating and your relationship with food to be successful will serve you well. Only you have an accurate understanding of your level of motivation for success.

The band is only a tool. Despite it being empty now, it does still help me manage my portions, but I am the only one who will monitor my behaviors to drink Water when I am hungry instead of looking for anything else to eat. I also understand that at this stage, the only way I will keep the weight loss at the current pace is to be committed to regular exercise. The band does not stop you from eating the wrong foods, you still need to make healthy choices for your meals.

I understand your concerns about failure...a common fear for many. You won't truly know your abilities for success unless you take the steps to move out of your "comfort zone".

Best wishes to you as you move forward with your decisions...

I think we've all been where you are and I'd like to put your mind at ease when I say you will be fine. The band is a very powerful tool, it not only gives you the power you need to resist bad eating, but it has corrected other negative habits I had. Rest assured, you've made a very wise decision to pursue this and your only regret is that you didn't opt for it a long time ago. No fear here!

Hello, I just turned 60 also. I had my lap band surgery on August 22, 2013 with Dr. Pedro Kuri in Mexico. Beautiful hospital, great care, and caring physician. I understand your feelings, I have been through the same weight loss treatments as you have, I suspect most of us have.

Remember that you are the only one who can make the change, and I am sure your husband will be right there to support you. The lap band is a tool, you have to use it. You are worth it, and you have a lot of years left, make them some of your best and your healthiest.

The only way you can fail is if you stop trying. Read the posts by some of the more experienced bandsters, and learn as much as you can. You can do anything if you are kind to yourself through the process and communicate with your doctor and team and other bandsters about any issues or concerns you are having. Good luck!

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

For me this was my last shot.

I also hit goal weight with WW way back, I think it was 123 success counted Protein, milk,veggies,fats,fruits. Was at 178 lbs-did not hold that for long and have topped out at 271 lbs.

Lap-band gives me hope!