Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doing my homework and getting serious

I've previously done a bit of research on Lap-Band after my doctor brought it up earlier in the year, but this time I'm actually seriously considering it. In fact, I'm signed up to go to an information session at one of the local hospitals tomorrow night with a surgeon who I've heard lots of good things about. Before, it was sort of a "well, ok, maybe I'll think about it as a vague possibility" situation, but now I'm in a spot where I could actually see myself going through with it. Scary, but good!

I'm going to be a fun patient because I'm a data geek by trade-- I've got an MA in sociology (no fear of PubMed here!) and I work in healthcare outcomes reporting. Success stories are fun and exciting, but I definitely want to see as many numbers as I can, particularly regarding long-term complication/removal rates. I'm open to banding because I'd personally rather not have my insides rearranged, but I'd like to see what the average patient experience is 10 years down the road.

If I do end up doing this, it'll be quite a way out; due to work schedules and such, I think my best shot would be in early December or mid-February. And if my research makes me nervous, I can wait longer, or not do it at all. That's why I'm here, doing my homework.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone and reading as much as I can! :)

Dont forget much of the data you find includes those from older and outdated bands. The newer upgraded bands have far less complications then the generation before it.

I suggest starting in the lap band success stories.

Hi, I'm planning on banding in December and I'm a nurse so I'm here getting the feel of how it all works too. I'm doing tons of research on what to expect pre-op, post-op and long term. I need to know how this will not only affect me but my family and work life. I'm making lists of questions to ask at my next appointment, list of websites to check out, shakes to try, foods to try, foods ill most likely not be able to have again, things ill need for immediately after surgery. I've already read the lap band book and my notebook is filling up. I will have never been so prepared for anything in my life including having kids!! Lol!!

Well, it sounds like you've done your homework! I had my band done on 12/28 which meant skipping all those holiday goodies but it was worth it for me. Best of luck!

Hi there and welcome. I have been doing the same, collecting all the information I can. This is a good place to do that. The hospital where I plan to be banded recommended a forum hosted by the manufacturers of the band. I went and had a peek but predictably enough it is very slick, appears to be written by professionals. I like this site, which is very real. People share their ups and downs, worries and successes.

It's imperative we all do our research to get a basic knowledge of the procedure, the lifestyle etc and determine if it's right for us. However, statistics are just that, statistics. The variables are left out of the picture. Unlike quantifying how many people are successful after a cholecytectomy where there is very little patient demand and compliance requirements, the band is a whole new beast. It requires patience, followup, compliance and a good sense of mind. Again, variables that can and will drastically effect the longterm success of the lapband.

The numbers I see associated with the lapband can be discouraging. I'm disappointed that we can't do better. True, they combine old bands and new bands, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the patient is the #1 factor. The band was never designed to simply take care of your weight. It's a tool to assist you in that goal.

Bottom line, you sound like a smart woman and I'm sure you already know how tweeking the compliance can tweek the results. Follow the rules and you'll be at goal in no time.

Hi, Julie! I feel like I'm in the same boat as you are, but on a slightly more accelerated timetable. I plan to quit my job at my current law firm by the end of the year. I'll have another, but I don't know what that will be and I don't know what insurance will be available, what salary I'll have, how easy it'll be to take a few days off work, etc. Especially since I'm considering a pretty drastic career change with less reliable hours/fewer benefits, I'd like to take care of this at a time when everything will be as low stress as possible.

That said, I really want to make sure it's a smart decision for me. And while I've loved these forums and have found them incredibly informative and the people in them very supportive, I do think there's an element of kool-aid drinking going on. Most people are extremely positive, which is great, and I'm sure that attitude helps nurture everyone's chances of success. However, I think with limited exceptions (the complications forum is also great to check out), the complications and possible failure rates are glossed over. Even within those forums, there's a lot of backlash to negative experiences. (i.e. "The band didn't fail you. You failed the band., etc.) The little information I've seen suggests that very few people (far less than half) who were banded a decade ago, still have their bands, and that long-term, significant weight loss, without going in for future additional procedures that far out is also less than certain. Simply stating that the new bands won't have these complications isn't a panacea. The new bands may be much improved, they definitely appear to have fewer immediate complications, but the long-term data isn't out there yet. Or at least I haven't been able to find any. If any members are aware of it, I'd love to see it.

And in the meantime, I'll keep reading the boards. It's just that while I don't want to underemphasize the value of reading about the individual experiences here, they're not statistics, and I don't think they're likely to be even representative of underlying statistics, because participants are so skewed towards being successes. (Just like any other diet board- very few of those it doesn't work for will be motivated to post- they'll move on to try something else and expend energy elsewhere.)

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately, I took a closer look at my insurance... and it looks like I'm actually a no-go. They require a diagnosis of "morbid obesity," not just "obesity," for the past 5 consecutive years. That would be BMI of 35+ with co-morbidity... and from what I can mentally recollect of my medical records, I don't qualify. I've been BMI of 35, but I only actually started BP meds and CPAP within the past 18 months.

So I guess no seminar, and a hold on the homework, though I'm kind of tempted to go anyway and call the insurance for clarification, I don't know. It's probably a good thing, long-term, that I don't qualify, but emotionally a bit frustrating.

All insurance companies are different of course, but that term surprises me. I've seen that you have to be fat for five years, but not that you have to be suffering from a comorbidity for that long. Doesn't seem to make sense either, since the longer people have those, the worse and more expensive they get to treat.

Turns out you're right, Anna, ha! I went to the seminar anyway and talked to the lady who handles their insurance stuff. Apparently, if I was 35+ 5 years ago, and have a co morbidity now, then insurance should approve me. So apparently I'll be making an appointment for a one-on-one with the doc, crazy!