Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story--banded for 9.5 years.

I have been banded for almost 6 years. It wasn't quick by know means I am a slow loser. But I haven't gained any back. I haven't had any complications from the band and I do not regret doing it at all, before I did my band I also did a lot of research I wanted to know what to expect and other bandsters experience with that everyone is different, I remember reading horrible stories but then again I read a lot more successful stories. I am sorry of the band hasn't worked out for you, I wish you luck with the sleeve. I just figure I would share my story.

Hi Megan' date='

I suppose at 5 years post banding, I am not what you would call someone in the 'first flush' of the glory days of my band. Nor am I by any means a newbie, and as time goes on I am more interested than ever in posts that discuss the longevity of the band, especially with regards to symptoms experienced, in the hopes that I can in fact be vigilant of possible complications.

First let me qualify that I'm Australian, and Australian surgeons have been placing bands for a lot longer than American doctors. My surgeon has well over a decade's worth of experience and to this day, still thinks the band is the most effective wls there is. I just wanted to make that clear so you understand where I stand on this.

I recently had band replacement surgery as a result of a leaky band. I had the option of revising to a sleeve but both my surgeon and myself agreed that the band was a better choice. I have lost 100% of my excess weight, I have not experienced pain, reflux, nothing at all that has caused me concern, and even when my band was leaking for 15 months, I only gained 35lbs of which I then lost 40% of without the band's help before my replacement.

All the recent posts I have read regarding complications experienced by banders who have had the band for 5 years or more have the same theme to it: pain, reflux, weight gain, discomfort, damage etc. I have experienced none of these. I maintain my weight easily when my band is working. I live with my band very easily. I have had a multitude of tests as a result of my leak and I have no physical issues or damage caused by the band. I have no reason to believe that will change, either, seeing as it hasn't happened yet, and if it was going to, I'd expect it to have happened before now.

I also have a good lot of bandster friends on FB who have been quietly living their lives with the bands without complications, who have had their bands as long or longer than me, who just don't talk about it that much any more, unlike when they were first banded.

So just to provide some balance, I do believe people have complications, and in many cases, serious ones too. And I do believe you have and it's always a wake-up call to see it talked about. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that everyone will, or that it will even be as common as some people make it out to be. Nothing you've said about your personal experience or anything I've seen posted about complications just recently has convinced me of that at all, especially since I see so few similarities with my own experiences with the band.

So I'm piping in, I guess, to give a different view of what long-term life with the band is like so anyone reading understands that there is more than just one point of view to everything. And I personally have nearly nothing bad to say about my experience with the band.[/quote']

Thank you Lellow!

I think I posted once before I don't mind reading the bad and the good , however I like to stay positive and like Dawalsh said I will be the judge of me also it may work for some and some may not but I do like the more positive ones so I just try to stay positive and I am doing fine even with my slow weight loss but I am determined also I have family members who have done most of the diffrent weight loss surgerys and some are still working at it some failed so I am me and they are them so I don't compare myself to ANY ONE ONCE AGAIN ALL OUR BODIES ARE DIFFRENT THAT'S WHAT MAKES US UNIQUE, and I like to encourage people as I like them to help and encourage me also so thankyou to all that do on this forum site as it is helping me.

I have been banded for just on a year, I have lost just on 20 kg with the 14cc band. I am quite disappointed with my weight lose so far, although any weight lose is good I understand that. However, I think the band is sometimes sold by doctors as a miracle solution ( well it was to me). I honestly didn't realise that living with the band would mean making so many life changes.

I stopped for almost 7 months going back to my surgeon and in that time I regretted my decision of getting the band.

Although, with great bandster support I went back to the dr. This time I was completely honest with my dr about my disappointment and the issues I was having. I wish I had done this earlier, we are now back on track and I'm losing. I'm still a slow loser, but its working. and I understand that the band is a tool, it can not do it all alone I need to work with it,

I think the point I'm trying to make is it is very.

important to communicate openly to your dr, this was something I initially didn't do. And for me it made my journey miserable. I am so happy and finally happy with the band.

However, I do appreciate hearing other people's stories good or bad. For those of us that are early on with our journey it is important that we receive this information from previous bandsters, so we know what the potential complications are and what to look out for. I am grateful that you shared your story, as now I know how important it is to communicate openly to my doctor about my concerns and not let things drag on.

There can be complications with any weight loss surgery, seems to me its more likely than not. I had a RNY 11 years ago. I never made it anywhere close to my goal and have horrid dumping issues. One of my best friends had the Sleeve done 6 months ago, and she regrets her surgery. She is sick all of the time and she has lost a lot of her hair. I know people who have had the band, and had it removed. The issue is, the reason we have weight loss surgery is because we need help, or a tool. Before my RNY, I could lose weight, but would gain it back, plus more. Now, at least I don't gain as easily. I'm thankful for that!