Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help- pre-op white blood cell count high? not cleared for surgery

Hi all- really sorry if this is a repeat thread.. just very stressed out. Had my blood work done for my pre-op clearance- surgery is August 13th and my Doc's office said my white blood cell count is elevated… I had an abscess on my inner things (bc i'm over weight they rub together and make life miserable) -any how my doc was draining it and gave me antibiotics at the time of my lab work.. I'm wondering if anyone more medical knowledge than myself could let me know if they think that could be the cause.. I understand that wbc elevation is related to infection but just unsure if since i was on antibiotics that would have been the cause? .. ugh so disappointed /stressed out they said i could retake but my PCP is on vacation (great timing right??). I guess I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar situation.. has it ended happily ever after (aka on time surgery). Thanks guys!!

I have no advice, but wanted to give you a (((hug))), and wish you the best!

I have no advice, but wanted to give you a (((hug))), and wish you the best!

Awe! thankyou!!! that's so sweet- i could use a hug!! my hubby is at work and im trying not to stress bc that can cause an increase in white blood cell count too!

The antibiotics won't cause the white cell elevation, in fact they're supposed to lower it by killing the infection. If you still have a high white blood cell count then that means you still have an infection.

I know it's frustrating, but it's a good thing they're postponing your surgery until it clears up. The last thing you need a post surgical infection.

Best wishes.

yeah- I just wasn't sure if the abscess could be the cause of the high white blood cell count could cause the infection even if i was on antibiotics for it? :-/ … i know its for the better but i'm just disappointed :( I am on a time crunch because of my life/work schedule and just hope this wbc count can come down by my surgery date

Yes, the abscess is the most likely cause of the elevated wbc's. It takes a while for antibiotics to work. Did the PCP who drained it take a culture? sometimes we treat infections by what is most commonly found in those types of infections. For example, if you had a wound that we thought was infected with MRSA we would treat it with antibiotic A. We would give you the antibiotic that treats MRSA and send you home. When we got the culture back it could say you didn't have MRSA in it, but it was a staph infection. We would need to change your antibiotic because different antibiotics treat different bugs. Does this make sense?

yes! this makes a lot of sense… my sister is a DR. and was surprised he didn't treat for MRSA bc it was a nasty looking abscess--- he prescribed an older antibiotic--the bottle had enough pills for 2 rounds of antibiotics.. i must admit i forgot to take the last 2 doses of the antibiotics…. I know no doctor recommends self medicating but i was going to restart the cycle of antibiotics (before i found out about this wbc count issue-- bc the abscess is still there a bit…) is this going to affect my retake of the exam?

Dr.'s office just called back- the dr supervising my PCP's pt's while he's out said that the abscess could have definitely caused the high wbc (as we have figured out here collectively) and told me to get the blood work redone tomorrow. So- I'll be getting that lab done tomorrow- hopefully results wed or thurs and will keep you guys posted- hopefully it will come back in an acceptable range- it was 14.8 needs to be 10 for surgery i guess? Really stressed because we will be away from the 4-10 so and surgery is the 13th.. really hoping that everything is sorted out before we leave so i can just worry about the pre op diet and come home to get banded!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!

Dr.'s office just called back- the dr supervising my PCP's pt's while he's out said that the abscess could have definitely caused the high wbc (as we have figured out here collectively) and told me to get the blood work redone tomorrow. So- I'll be getting that lab done tomorrow- hopefully results wed or thurs and will keep you guys posted- hopefully it will come back in an acceptable range- it was 14.8 needs to be 10 for surgery i guess? Really stressed because we will be away from the 4-10 so and surgery is the 13th.. really hoping that everything is sorted out before we leave so i can just worry about the pre op diet and come home to get banded!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!

I would even request a culture of the abscess to be done with your blood work tomorrow. As Beanie stated, they need to know what type of infection it is to prescribe the right antibiotic. Obviously the first antibiotic didn't work so they need to re-evaluate it.

Also, be sure to take it EXACTLY as directly including all doses. If they get you on the right antibiotic and you follow the directions, you have a good chance of getting it cleared up in time for surgery.

So- update-- I went, got my blood work re-done and my worst nightmare is true-- my WBC count has gone up to nearly 18.. we're 80% higher than what it should be… doc thinks it could either be gallbladder infection that might require surgery *if this is the case, up to my lap band surgeon to maybe just do a double surgery- oddly enough this is best case scenario)… or an intestinal infection, went today and got more bloodwork done have to bring a stool sample (ugh) and then get an ultrasound of my gallbladder tomorrow morning! could use a prayer or two if anyone has free time! i'm really feeling defeated and down.. I did EVERYTHING necessary to get all my paperwork in all my LOMN my mental health eval, alll my records everything in ONE WEEK- got everything collected submitted to insurance and now my body is failing me and holding me back- i dont think i'm going to be able to have my surgery the date im scheduled and im devastated

So- update-- I went, got my blood work re-done and my worst nightmare is true-- my WBC count has gone up to nearly 18.. we're 80% higher than what it should be… doc thinks it could either be gallbladder infection that might require surgery *if this is the case, up to my lap band surgeon to maybe just do a double surgery- oddly enough this is best case scenario)… or an intestinal infection, went today and got more bloodwork done have to bring a stool sample (ugh) and then get an ultrasound of my gallbladder tomorrow morning! could use a prayer or two if anyone has free time! i'm really feeling defeated and down.. I did EVERYTHING necessary to get all my paperwork in all my LOMN my mental health eval, alll my records everything in ONE WEEK- got everything collected submitted to insurance and now my body is failing me and holding me back- i dont think i'm going to be able to have my surgery the date im scheduled and im devastated

I am so sorry.

Please don't give up. Even if your surgery is postponed- that's ok! Postponed isn't canceled, you know? Plus, it's so important you go into surgery healthy. It's good they found this infection ahead of time or it could've caused major problems later.

I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I'll pray they find the source of the infection and treat it ASAP so you can get your surgery.