Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was afraid this would happen...

I've had a ruff couple of months...started having reflux in June, difficulty swallowing. I only had 2 cc in my band, so never kept it tight. Emptied it, things got worse and fast. I've been on soft diet to rest my esophagus, but the doctors think the band has grown scar tissue under it and its going to come out. I'm very upset about this. I've been super vigilant about my diet, eating habits to make sure I wouldn't fail. Didn't make a difference. Doctors say they are seeing more and more like me and there's a chance I will have damage that won't heal, so prolly no revision surgery. I'm so close to goal. Not a happy camper right now and questioning why damage to the esophagus wasn't specifically mentioned in the pre op time.

I am so so sorry :(

It's not common but sometimes people do have serious complications by no fault of their own. You seem to be one of the unlucky 5% that do.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a second opinion from another bariatric surgeon. The reason being is, if the problem is something like the original surgeon didn't place it correctly, you'll want a non-biased second opinion to tell you. I'd also want a second opinion on the scar tissue and possibility for a revision surgery.

Just my opinion.

Again, I'm truly sorry this happened to you.

Sorry to hear this. It's quite common to have scar tissue build up, causing problems. I had that happen, too. My esophagus was also damaged. And my diaphragm, and my stomach... the list goes on and on.

It's the best course of action, having the band removed, if you're developing scar tissue. It only gets worse, I can attest. I know it's disappointing and painful, though, and I'm very sorry. That's what stinks- doing everything right and having the band fail, anyway. It happens a lot, though. It's not your fault and don't let anyone make you feel like it is.

I didn't have a revision surgery either. Too much damage done by the band. You'll be okay. Keep positive. Talk about it whenever you need to.

I had the same symptoms occur. After the second unfill and before the third, I demanded a barium swallow to make sure nothing major had happened (slip, etc). My band had gotten a lot tighter due to allergies, but the surgeon did say that it's possible I have scar tissue under the band as well.

Just watch everything closely and contact your dr with any unusual changes. I hope all goes well for you.

How did you guys find out you had scar tissue? About a year or so ago I had such bad reflux I ended up getting aspiration pneumonia because I would wake up vomiting on a regular basis and would then hyper-ventilate...it got bad enough that this would happen even if I dozed off sitting up, not just lying down. They did a slight unfill but I'm back to I think about 6 cc's and can't have anything to eat/drink at least an hour before sleeping or risk the reflux. That being said, I haven't had any x-rays of my band since my original swallow test so just curious what made your doctors check for scar tissue...

Yes, I'd very curious about the scar tissue. How long before this was discovered. I'd be devastated if I couldn't do a revision surgery. I pray that never happens but how you holding food down without the band? How much scar tissue and is it the scar tissue that damaged your esophagus?

I really hope you're doing OK and not struggling with food.

During the second band surgery, my surgeon said there was a lot of scar tissue building. The more corrective surgeries, the more scar tissue. I hadn't realized just how much there was, though, until my gastroenterologist had a really hard time doing a colonoscopy because of how much scar tissue I had. It was causing my organs to adhere to one another. Also during a hysterectomy (which I had to have open incision) my surgeon remarked that there was an abundance of adhesions and scar tissue. It can often cause a pulling-pinching feeling in your abdomen. Or at least it did for me. And still does occasionally. It's a vicious cycle, though- if you have scar tissue removed during surgery, your body forms more scar tissue. The least amount of surgeries you can have, the better!

I think my esophagus is healed pretty well, but my diaphragm is still pretty screwed up.

Wow! That's interesting. I hate to hear that. I do hope it all works out for you.

I know I mentioned this in a different post, but thought I should update. I had my band removed, three+ hours of surgery, difficult recovery, but I'm able to swallow again. I was on a soft diet for several weeks because of the damage to my esophagus. There was scar tissue under the band and around the bottom of my esophagus, so much that the doctor said to forget revising. Tissues are too thin and damaged to tolerate any revision. I'm totally bummed out by this and struggling to maintain my weight loss, but it's hard! I was 10 lb from goal, now up 7 lb. My esophagus has permanent damage.

Scorpio Girl, that is truly bad news, and I'm so sorry. I am reading more and more about eosophagus issues with the band on this site, and it does make me wonder why, as a possible complication, this is not being mentioned more. I also have to admit, I have not seen a lot of these issues among the Australian banders I know though, and despite my research, there doesn't seem to be a lot of Australian banders who have reported the issue. I am ever vigilant regarding complications so this type of complication, and the occurence rates, is of particular interest. I think there needs to be more research into the cause.

Scarring must occur under a certain set of circumstances, whether it be something some are more prone to, or the placement of the band etc, or SOMETHING that causes it to occur in some but not others. I think trying to determine what those circumstances are might be would be highly beneficial in trying to prevent these problems, especially for someone like you, where this has literally affected your quality of life. I think more answers are needed than 'we'll just remove it and send you on your way'.

I personally have had the band 5 years, one replacement placed just recently and have no eosophagus issues. Two bands, great weight loss and no real issues. So I guess for me, that's proof that living with a band without damage is possible. But something, somewhere isn't going right for a complication like this to keep arising in some banders. I think the bandster community deserves to know what that is.

I've had a ruff couple of months...started having reflux in June, difficulty swallowing. I only had 2 cc in my band, so never kept it tight. Emptied it, things got worse and fast. I've been on soft diet to rest my esophagus, but the doctors think the band has grown scar tissue under it and its going to come out. I'm very upset about this. I've been super vigilant about my diet, eating habits to make sure I wouldn't fail. Didn't make a difference. Doctors say they are seeing more and more like me and there's a chance I will have damage that won't heal, so prolly no revision surgery. I'm so close to goal. Not a happy camper right now and questioning why damage to the esophagus wasn't specifically mentioned in the pre op time.

Sorry you had to get your band removed that must have been devastating.

However, two things caught my eye, the things that other vets used to warn me about over 8 years ago, and sadly MANY newbies are not listening or being educated on warning signs with the lap band, many ignore the warnings especially if they are losing weight, so it's extremely hard to convince someone to get a small unfill if the scale are moving.

When you first mentioned:

I've had a ruff couple of months...started having reflux in June, difficulty swallowing

That ruff couple of months really meant your band was way too tight, I have seen others refuse to get saline removed from the band, you decided to do something when the reflux started, which is often times TOO LATE, and the band has slipped and permanent lap band damage has occurred.

Time is of essence to prevent permanent damage to the lap band, my pouch got dilated with my old band in less than 6 weeks, so damage can occur pretty quickly if someone is too tight and don't get saline removed immediately, this is the part where AFTERCARE IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT WITH THE LAP BAND, because if someone can't get to their surgeon in time before damage is done, they risk losing the band or living a horrible banded life filled with vomiting and horrible reflux, pain and burning.

You also mentioned you only had 2ccs in your band, this has NOTHING to do with it, it's NEVER how much saline is in your band, it's how you feel, some people are too tight at 1cc, sometimes the surgeon places a too small band for someone's anatomy which can cause issues too, if your band was too tight at 2cc, you should have immediately got some saline taken out, banded life should never be rough.

I've had a band almost 8 years and I've read NUMEROUS studies, how lap band complication, occur, I even had a complication myself 6 years ago with my first band mild pouch dilation, my first surgeon filled me too tight, (and I traveled, which caused additional swelling) which was treated immediately when I got home, with completely emptying the band, and medication, before too much damage was done) plus I had a hiatal hernia last year that also caused some pain, and every time I would fill the band optimally I would get reflux.

My new surgeon told me that my first band was never placed properly, also it was damaged from being too tight in the first year, But I never had band slippage, or difficulty eating unless my band was too tight, but, I decided to get my hernia repaired, and my surgeon removed my old band, port and tubing, and replaced it with a new AP small band all in one surgery, and my second band surgery was a WHOLE LOT EASIER than my first band surgery

Why was my second band replacement recovery was easier? Could be that my new surgeon has more experience placing bands, I was my first surgeons 10th band placement over 8 years ago, and my second surgeon had done over 500 bands and had much more experience

I had a LOT of scar tissue/adhesion's too when my surgeon went in to replace my new band, and SCAR tissue is very common after band revision, some people have more scar tissue than others, and too much scar tissue will make it very difficult to revise to any weight loss surgery band or not. But some surgeons are very skilled to clean up the scar tissue to make it possible for weight loss surgery and revisions. My surgeon told me it took an extra hour during my band replacement to clean up all the scar tissue before placing the second band.

Also you are correct everyone is not a candidate to get rebanded, some people have too much damage to the esophagus and band slipped too bad, this is why it is VERY important for lap banders to know the warning signs of being too tight, and THERE ARE WARNINGS, such as not able to eat solids after a fill adjustment, many people will NOT go back to get saline removed in fear that it will cost too much money, or they think they can lose weight more quickly, also frequent vomiting are warnings, coughing and reflux are lap band killers, and when the reflux starts this often indicate that the band has already slipped to some degree.

Can reflux be treated with a mild damaged band? Yes, I lived with a mild pouch dilation with my old band for over 7 years, plus I had a un diagnosed hiatal hernia which also contributed to reflux, and I was still able to get good restriction, but I had to take PPi's to control it, and be mindful of not eating too close to bedtime and use pillows to prop my head.

Thank god, and lessons learned with my new band I have no refux -- yet because my new surgeon repaired the hiatal hernia before he placed my new band and I am almost 1 year post op with my new band.

Again, I had scar tissue too, but I was able to have a successful band revision ALL IN ONE SURGERY, I have never read any studies to support scar tissue that cause lap band complications, however the symptoms you mentioned are WELL DOCUMENTED as band slippage and pouch dilation from being too tight.

Posted Today, 4:42 AM

Scorpio Girl, on July 16, 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

However, two things caught my eye, the things that other vets used to warn me about over 8 years ago, and sadly MANY newbies are not listening or being educated on warning signs with the lap band, many ignore the warnings especially if they are losing weight, so it's extremely hard to convince someone to get a small unfill if the scale are moving.

I've had a ruff couple of months...started having reflux in June, difficulty swallowing

That ruff couple of months really meant your band was way too tight, I have seen others refuse to get saline removed from the band, you decided to do something when the reflux started, which is often times TOO LATE, and the band has slipped and permanent lap band damage has occurred.

No, my band wasn't "too tight". The scar tissue UNDER the band was constricting my stoma. Maybe you didn't see I only had 2cc in a 10cc band. I also DIDN'T have a slip.

Time is of essence to prevent permanent damage to the lap band, my pouch got dilated with my old band in less than 6 weeks, so damage can occur pretty quickly if someone is too tight and don't get saline removed immediately, this is the part where AFTERCARE IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT WITH THE LAP BAND, because if someone can't get to their surgeon in time before damage is done, they risk losing the band or living a horrible banded life filled with vomiting and horrible reflux, pain and burning.

You also mentioned you only had 2ccs in your band, this has NOTHING to do with it, it's NEVER how much saline is in your band, it's how you feel, some people are too tight at 1cc, sometimes the surgeon places a too small band for someone's anatomy which can cause issues too, if your band was too tight at 2cc, you should have immediately got some saline taken out, banded life should never be rough.

Perhaps you should read my profile to see that I've been diligent with follow up. I had mild reflux earlier and had 1cc removed. When the reflux returned I got the rest removed. I'm very close to goal. I didn't get there over night, it took over 2.5 years of utilizing my tool properly to get there.

I've had a band almost 8 years and I've read NUMEROUS studies, how lap band complication, occur, I even had a complication myself 6 years ago with my first band mild pouch dilation, my first surgeon filled me too tight, (and I traveled, which caused additional swelling) which was treated immediately when I got home, with completely emptying the band, and medication, before too much damage was done) plus I had a hiatal hernia last year that also caused some pain, and every time I would fill the band optimally I would get reflux.

My new surgeon told me that my first band was never placed properly, also it was damaged from being too tight in the first year, But I never had band slippage, or difficulty eating unless my band was too tight, but, I decided to get my hernia repaired, and my surgeon removed my old band, port and tubing, and replaced it with a new AP small band all in one surgery, and my second band surgery was a WHOLE LOT EASIER than my first band surgery

Why was my second band replacement recovery was easier? Could be that my new surgeon has more experience placing bands, I was my first surgeons 10th band placement over 8 years ago, and my second surgeon had done over 500 bands and had much more experience

I had a LOT of scar tissue/adhesion's too when my surgeon went in to replace my new band, and SCAR tissue is very common after band revision, some people have more scar tissue than others, and too much scar tissue will make it very difficult to revise to any weight loss surgery band or not. But some surgeons are very skilled to clean up the scar tissue to make it possible for weight loss surgery and revisions. My surgeon told me it took an extra hour during my band replacement to clean up all the scar tissue before placing the second band.

Also you are correct everyone is not a candidate to get rebanded, some people have too much damage to the esophagus and band slipped too bad, this is why it is VERY important for lap banders to know the warning signs of being too tight, and THERE ARE WARNINGS, such as not able to eat solids after a fill adjustment, many people will NOT go back to get saline removed in fear that it will cost too much money, or they think they can lose weight more quickly, also frequent vomiting are warnings, coughing and reflux are lap band killers, and when the reflux starts this often indicate that the band has already slipped to some degree.

I didn't have problems eating solids after a fill EVER. I never had a slip.

Can reflux be treated with a mild damaged band? Yes, I lived with a mild pouch dilation with my old band for over 7 years, plus I had a un diagnosed hiatal hernia which also contributed to reflux, and I was still able to get good restriction, but I had to take PPi's to control it, and be mindful of not eating too close to bedtime and use pillows to prop my head.

Thank god, and lessons learned with my new band I have no refux -- yet because my new surgeon repaired the hiatal hernia before he placed my new band and I am almost 1 year post op with my new band.

I had a hiatal hernia repair with my band placement.

Again, I had scar tissue too, but I was able to have a successful band revision ALL IN ONE SURGERY, I have never read any studies to support scar tissue that cause lap band complications, however the symptoms you mentioned are WELL DOCUMENTED as band slippage and pouch dilation from being too tight.

Just because you never read studies that scar tissue can cause complications doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Like This

Banded 9/30/05 - Dr. Moazzez, Fairfax, Va

4cc 10m Lap Band, lost 130 pounds.

Rebanded 11/13/2012 - Dr. James Ku, Lancaster, PA

AP small lap band

MultiQuote

I really am insulted by your assumptions. I have my surgical report that states clearly that I had scar tissue in "remarkable quantities under the band position and around the lower esophagus preventing the lower esophageal sphincter from opening in response to swallowing. This caused food to remain in the esophagus causing profound esophageal dilation. Patient was compliant with dietary plan throughout the course of treatment and kept all follow up appointments. Pre operative manometry testing might have shown that the patient was not a candidate for AGB, since this is a high pressure system that has the potential to cause damage to nerves in the gastro-esophageal junction, causing achalasia like symptoms. Tissues are compromised in the esophagus and gastric fundus making further bariatric surgery risk excessive and contraindicated."

You make it sound like I should have been aware of the scar tissue forming before I had symptoms....exactly how does that work?

Who are you, I haven't seen you post until very recently?

Posted Today, 4:42 AM

Scorpio Girl, on July 16, 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

No, my band wasn't "too tight". The scar tissue UNDER the band was constricting my stoma. Maybe you didn't see I only had 2cc in a 10cc band. I also DIDN'T have a slip.

Perhaps you should read my profile to see that I've been diligent with follow up. I had mild reflux earlier and had 1cc removed. When the reflux returned I got the rest removed. I'm very close to goal. I didn't get there over night, it took over 2.5 years of utilizing my tool properly to get there.

I didn't have problems eating solids after a fill EVER. I never had a slip.

I had a hiatal hernia repair with my band placement.

Just because you never read studies that scar tissue can cause complications doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Like This

Banded 9/30/05 - Dr. Moazzez, Fairfax, Va

4cc 10m Lap Band, lost 130 pounds.

Rebanded 11/13/2012 - Dr. James Ku, Lancaster, PA

AP small lap band

MultiQuote

I really am insulted by your assumptions. I have my surgical report that states clearly that I had scar tissue in "remarkable quantities under the band position and around the lower esophagus preventing the lower esophageal sphincter from opening in response to swallowing. This caused food to remain in the esophagus causing profound esophageal dilation. Patient was compliant with dietary plan throughout the course of treatment and kept all follow up appointments. Pre operative manometry testing might have shown that the patient was not a candidate for AGB, since this is a high pressure system that has the potential to cause damage to nerves in the gastro-esophageal junction, causing achalasia like symptoms. Tissues are compromised in the esophagus and gastric fundus making further bariatric surgery risk excessive and contraindicated."

You make it sound like I should have been aware of the scar tissue forming before I had symptoms....exactly how does that work?

Who are you, I haven't seen you post until very recently?

Your post mentioned:

Pre operative manometry testing might have shown that the patient was not a candidate for AGB, since this is a high pressure system that has the potential to cause damage to nerves in the gastro-esophageal junction, causing achalasia like symptoms.

Bingo...

First of all I am not saying this is YOUR fault, and I am truly sorry that you suffered complications, I do not wish this on anyone.

But the purpose of my post is to let anyone know that scar tissue ALONE DOES not cause lap band complications, there has to be some "other underlying issues such as a too short esophagus, achalasia (which is a complication of the esophagus without any lap band) being banded will make it worse.

I am ALSO sure if someone lives with a too tight band for long periods of time, and suffer band slippage, scar tissue will form under that slipped band area, that is what I was told by my surgeon.

Everyone is not a candidate for the lap band, hiatal hernia are contradicted with the band also, I got my repaired, does not mean it will not come back, does this mean everyone that gets a band will get a hiatal hernia? No, but it's good to share our stories so that it may help someone with similar issues.

Scar tissue forms around the lap band anyway because it helps hold it in place long term along with the sutures.

Who am I? I am a long term lap bander going on 8 years and have seen it ALL....been a member here over 7 years.

But the purpose of my post is to let anyone know that scar tissue ALONE DOES not cause lap band complications, there has to be some "other underlying issues such as a too short esophagus, achalasia (which is a complication of the esophagus without any lap band) being banded will make it worse.

I don't have a short esophagus, didn't have any signs of achalasia pre-band.

Scar tissue forms around the lap band anyway because it helps hold it in place long term along with the sutures.

Yes, but the scar tissue isn't under the band, it's usually at the site of the tissue that is used to suture the band in place.

Glad you're enjoying life with your second band.

You seem to consider yourself an expert in Lapband.

I don't have a short esophagus, didn't have any signs of achalasia pre-band.

Yes, but the scar tissue isn't under the band, it's usually at the site of the tissue that is used to suture the band in place.

Glad you're enjoying life with your second band.

You seem to consider yourself an expert in Lapband.

I don't know your medical history, I was just saying those who have achalasia pre band are not candidates for the lap band, and if you developed it AFTER the band, does not mean everyone else will.

I've had a band for 8 years and I've never developed it, apparently it is rare occurrence, but horrible if it happens to you.

Just FYI, IF you got your band placed in the USA, later than 2007, most likely you DID NOT have a high pressured lap band.

The AP lap band is a lower pressured band, I had the first generation lap band when Inamed was the manufacturer (which was a high pressured band), here are links to different bands throughout its life-cycle.

http://www.wlshelp.c...alize-band.html

My old 4cc/10cm lap band WAS high pressured, surgeons quit using the 4cc bands for this very reason, they were more prone to complications, like pouch and esophageal dilation when the band was filled tightly for long periods of time.

Those who go to Mexico and Canada, the 4cc bands are still used, this is why those who go to Mexico to get a lap band ARE NOT getting the safer AP lap bands and they need to know that, and they are NOT deemed safe no longer in the US.

But many lost weight a lot quicker with the older 4cc bands overall than the newer AP bands because they were much tighter and very easy to get restriction.

Is everyone doomed with the older 4cc bands? No some people are doing well with them, but MOST have to get a revision or their bands removed due to the higher pressure which can cause damage to the esophagus long term and band slippage.

That was one reason I changed to the new AP band, however, band slippage can still occur with the newer AP bands -- if someone keeps it dangerously too tight and vomit frequently -- or have any pre existing issues -- or if the surgeon does not place it properly, but the chances and are lower with the newer AP bands and advanced techniques in suturing the band in place.

If you need more studies on this I can provide links, I am not an expert the AGB, but I have learned a lot over the years, by living with my band and seeing others issues, and reading tons of studies.