Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone gone VEGAN while banded? And were you successful?

So, for the past month and a half, I have been eating no animal meat or dairy products. I do my best to look up recipes substituting meat for tofu, etc. So far, I haven't seen any special weight loss, but I feel GREAT. I drink 24 ounces of fresh watermelon juice for Breakfast, then for lunch I either have a salad or a quick meatless burrito, and for dinner, it's just veggies and more complex carbs.

My cousin is devouted vegan and I decided to jump on the wagon with her. However, I haven't been too successful at finding anyone who has gone vegan while being banded. To be honest, one of the main reasons why I decided not to consume animal meat anymore was because I was always getting stuck even when I chewed the living life of out my chicken and I wouldn't even be able to finish 2 ounces. ALso, after eating meat, I feel heavy.

I would love your insights on this!

P.S. I do not eat much nuts either. I know they are high in fat and I stay away from oils too.

A few months after being banded, and after my 2nd fill, it became difficult to eat Red meat of any kind...since my Dr.'s have always been after me to cut back on Red meat for health reasons, I decided to stop altogether....no red meat for over 2 years now....

I had already stopped dairy products, again because of health reasons, long before being banded....a little cheese here and there but that's it.

I do eat chicken and fish, but I am cutting back on chicken more and more....eventually I may go all vegetarian....

I can definitely tell the difference physically....and I am sure it had a lot to do with my now "Normal" lab tests (blood work) along with loosing all my excess weight from the band.

I do it for health reasons....not for moral issues....I still wear leather shoes, etc...

My comment would be wrote B-52 wrote above. Health reasons, not moral reasons. I'm all about wearing leather and lipstick made from beeswax! Don't tell anyone but I have a fox-trimmed parka, too.

Some of my Friends are Vegans...It's not my business, it's a free world....they simply believe they will NOT eat or use anything that is derived from animals....moral issues, not health.

I went vegan for a bit pre-band. I felt great and my skin was soft and clear. I also did not consume a lot of soy. I still do only drink almond milk, but I eat cheese again - the only thing I missed being vegan cause vegan cheese sucks...

It may be something I will look into again after I get used to life banded. I love animals, but I didn't do it for moral reasons, although I do buy cruelty free beauty products.