Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help 7 weeks Banded!!!

I had my Surgery on the 22 of April 2013. I have always been over weight, the only fat kid in the family! I went for the Lapband as I have failed every diet on earth & it seems like I still am! I have 30-35kilos to loose and when I was on the pre-op diet I did loose about 5kilos and since then I have gone back up to my original start weight! I am writing down all the good I eat & yes there still is some bad choices on there but I guess I'm looking for anyone whom has started off on a bad foot and got through it and went on to loose weight! I made so many bad choices with my diet over the years I hope I can see a slimmer me in the future!!! I have had my second fill today and I'm yet to see if this will help yet, I know it's still early days but I'm 37 and wanting to start a family soon in the future and was wanting to loose this excess weight before we start a family!!! Helpful advise please! :(

The band will not make you lose weight. It is only a tool to help with weight loss. If you don't use the tool properly (by making wise food choices) you will not lose weight.

I had my Surgery on the 22 of April 2013. I have always been over weight, the only fat kid in the family! I went for the Lapband as I have failed every diet on earth & it seems like I still am! I have 30-35kilos to loose and when I was on the pre-op diet I did loose about 5kilos and since then I have gone back up to my original start weight! I am writing down all the good I eat & yes there still is some bad choices on there but I guess I'm looking for anyone whom has started off on a bad foot and got through it and went on to loose weight! I made so many bad choices with my diet over the years I hope I can see a slimmer me in the future!!! I have had my second fill today and I'm yet to see if this will help yet, I know it's still early days but I'm 37 and wanting to start a family soon in the future and was wanting to loose this excess weight before we start a family!!! Helpful advise please! :(

Just don't give up. There will be bumps in the road, but in the end your desire to be thinner has to be greater than your love for unhealthy foods. You didn't mention if you were getting any exercise in. The key is to find something you enjoy doing - that you would do even if you weren't trying to lose weight. For me that is swimming and dancing. My gym has a pool and since it's summer time, you can find a swimming hole just about anywhere around here (I'm in Houston, TX); if you aren't so privvy, go grab a coupld of DVD's that are centered around dancing - hip-hop abs, zumba, or salsa are great and the beauty of it is you can do it in the privacy of your own home. Let's face it, who doesn't like to dance? Whitney Houston's - I Wanna Dance With Somebody is a great mid-tempo tune that surely gets you fired up. Find what gets you going and make an effort to do it once a day - even if you start off with only 1 song...build it up to 2...before you know it you'll be choreographing your own monster jam.

Another key is to have at least 20g Protein within 30 minutes of getting out of bed; 25g no more than 1.5 hours before your workout and another 16 - 25g within an hour of your workout. Now if you're not exercising more than 30 minutes at a time, this formula will not work - eliminate the pre-workout Protein, but do get the recovery protein after working out, that is critical.

Good luck to you, keep trying combinations of things until you find out what works for you.

GG

Try not to think of it as starting off on the wrong foot. It might not be the way you wanted it to start, and we all want to lose that weight quickly and feel better about the way we look and feel but we can't feel good about ourselves if we keep putting ourselves down.

I had my surgery on May 6th, and I have lost 19 pounds so far. When I went to the Dr. for my one month follow up, I was feeling down and a bit disappointed because my husband who also had the surgery with me, 2 days later then I did had lost more weight than I had. He had a five pound loss in that 2 week period. Where I had actually gained back three pounds. I was about to feel all upset and depressed and start beating myself up, but you know…I can't do that to myself.

I had an infection in one of my incisions, and then even as that was still draining out I caught a bad case of bronchitis I'm still coughing and sound like I have been smoking 2 packs a day for 40 years! (I don't smoke at all!)

My father had to have major surgery and has spent the whole week in the hospital, my youngest and last of five son's is about to graduate and I get a call saying wait we can't find his report he might not! WHAT!!!

I have been eating right, and before I got sick even with the infection was trying to walk 20-30 minutes a day.

What am I getting at here?

Simply this, stuff happens. It always will, and it's the way we deal with it and the way we treat ourselves that defines how we are going to feel. So instead of beating myself up, I patted myself on the back and said girl you have had one heck of week, and it's OK. Feel better, stay strong and you can do this because it's for YOU and you are worth it!

This week I am feeling better, I lost the three pounds and though I'm still coughing and I haven't gone back to the gym yet, it's OK. Sometimes I know I push myself too far too fast, so I'll slow it down and I will get there and so will you my friend!

Stay steady, stick to the plan and even if you hit a bump in the road now and then you know you can get up dust yourself off and get back on the track.

Thank you for your posts! I'm in Australia and its winter here but I have started walking in the mornings with my little dogs which I love!!! I think the full realisation of the band has set in, I guess I thought that the weight would just fall off! I read up on how much weight people loose and not the effort that it still takes!!! Thank you for your inspiring words!!:-)

BAND UPDATE:

Well I was banded on the 22nd April 2013 and I started losing weight at the 9 week mark and I finally have restriction and band has started to work on my 4th fill! I never thought I would get there but it has kicked in ;-D

As the doctor kept telling me "everyone is different and we all want the weight to just fall off but it will happen when you have the right amount of fill" and she was right!!!! I'm on week 11 and I very much still in learning mode with food and limits but I'm learning fast!!!

Thanks to everyone on this site too for all the information you share as it is really so helpful through the lapband journey!!! ;-D

BAND UPDATE:

Well I was banded on the 22nd April 2013 and I started losing weight at the 9 week mark and I finally have restriction and band has started to work on my 4th fill! I never thought I would get there but it has kicked in ;-D

As the doctor kept telling me "everyone is different and we all want the weight to just fall off but it will happen when you have the right amount of fill" and she was right!!!! I'm on week 11 and I very much still in learning mode with food and limits but I'm learning fast!!!

Thanks to everyone on this site too for all the information you share as it is really so helpful through the lapband journey!!! ;-D

I wasn't aware that I had 3cc's put in my band during surgery, but I am convinced that is the reason I started losing right away. I'm glad you're starting to see results...it's going to start melting away quickly now!

Wow....I didn't know they put Fluid in while in surgery but that's great! thanks for reply & I hope my weight does melt off quickly! ;-D