Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 2 of being banded and 2nd stage diet?

Today makes day 2 of my liquid diet. I stayed over night in the hospital last night after the surgery. Today I am home and I am starving.. I think. Im still sore and gassy but I question is when do you start stage 2?

I tell myself I am going to wait a few more days and just stay on the clear liquid diet but the hungry side of me wants yogurt, or sf pudding, or a Protein shake..lol

I go Thursday to my post op Dr. visit.

Any suggestions?

What did your doctor tell you? You have to try your hardest to follow their instructions. The first couple weeks after surgery is rough. If you are on an all liquid diet then you'll need to stick to that. I had sugar free popsicles and my Protein Shakes and tea, diet snapple. That is what I was having for the first week after surgery, into my second week. I started on creamy Soups on week two along with a scrambled egg. Hang in there! but check to see what your doctor advised you!

I had surgery Monday June 3rd. Stayed on liquid all day Tuesday , added shakes and tea and diet snapple until this Monday starts mushy foods. I think I'm starting to get hungry now but I have so many gas pains, I don't feel as hungry. I just drank a can of chicken broth for 1st time and I thought I drank slow and took like 20 min but holy **** am I full and bloated. Maybe too quick or too much??? Keep me posted. It's def challenging

Wow! definitely get differing opinions from surgeons. My surgeon says 2 weeks clear, 2 weeks full and then in 5th week start mushies. They, also, say that cottage cheese is not mushies. Besides the Snapple and broths and popcicles, there is sugar free Jello and hard candies to suck on, and Special K has a clear Protein Powder to add to your Water. You need to think outside the box without going against your surgeon's advice. Best wiehs, Karen

That's about how my recovery was too- 2 weeks clear, 2 weeks full, then mushies. Unjury also makes an unflavored powder that you can add to Jello and other things.

How did you get past the nausea? I woke up this morning feeling fine, now I'm gassy and nauseated. And this broth is just not cutting it. :/

How bad is your nausea? I was prescribed suppositories in case I needed them, I think I used them twice. As far as Clear Liquids I had home made broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, no sugar added fruit bars, no sugar added apple and cranberry juice. I think it wasn't so bad for me because I don't like canned or packaged broth so I made my own. I make some really good Soups and stocks. I think a couple of times I had my husband pick up some wonton Soup for me and I took out the wontons and stuff and just drank the broth.

the nausea is mild, I think its from sinus drainage. But all the sugar free things are making me go ick. I have not had sugar substitutes in over a year, now I am eating them and they are just soo sweet. I think I might stick with the broth's, ice, and Water for a while today. No more sugary tasting stuff.

Sorry everyone, I feel like a total whiny butt, but I do appreciate all the answers!!

You're not whining and this stage is tough. You don't feel good, you're hungry and very limited on what you can eat and drink. It made me crabby and whiny sometimes too. :) It used to be when I didn't feel well, I wanted to eat whatever food sounded/tasted good at the time. I liked to sip on clear sodas like Ginger Ale and lemon/lime ones and that no longer is an option. Try some no sugar added apple juice. It's not too sweet and there are no artificial sweeteners. You could also try some light Cranberry juice since that's a little tart and you can mix it with the apple for some variety. I think I even drank a little no sugar added Grape juice and you can mix that with the cranberry juice too.

I don't know what type of artificial sweetener you're using but perhaps you should try a different one. I usually go between Splenda and Nectresse. I'm one of those weird people who doesn't care for Stevia.

I meant the sugar substitute in the sf Jello and the sf popsicles. I have fresh stevia growing in my garden, but getting out there to get it is a big no no. I use to be a sweet n low fanatic, but I got away from it when I realized it was giving me bladder spasms. If I absolutely had to put a sweeter I would use Splenda or stevia drops. I usually use raw sugarcane sugar or go with applesauce to sweeten something..but of course I'm not baking anything..lol

I will get my hubby to get me some sugar free apple juice!