Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long to be approved?

I have had the consult with he doctor, the psych and nutrition appt. I have to get clearance from my PCP, who says I will regret this surgery, and doesn't want to give me the clearance letter. I am hoping to get the letter this week. Then my doctors office will send everything for approval. I have anthem blue cross blue shield. They said it takes about 30 days to be approved. What is everyone else's experience....does it always take 30 days, does it take longer sometimes? What are some reasons that insurance will deny it? I'm so scared I won't get approved for it.....

Thanks!!!

Hey Culver!

I have BCBS of IL (Anthem is close to the same benefits I have) It didn't take me very long to get the process moving before I got my approval in a week. It depends how busy the medical team is BCBS. They have there own set of doctors that makes the medical decisions for WLS and or any type of surgery. Ask your doctors office on how quick they get there approval's back. Since it is almost the middle of the year you might have a longer wait. Hopefully that isn't the case and you get approved and have patience! Good Luck on your journey!

-Amine

I have Aetna and it took exactly 1 month.

1 month is a cake walk. Cigna required 6 months of supervised diet. It seemed like time had stood still at some points but now it feels like a lifetime ago..

I also have Anthum BCBS and I'm sorry to say I was denied... My bmi is 38 and I have no co-morbids.. It took about three weeks fir them to give me an anwser and i was crossing my fingers the whole time.. am sure if your bmi is 40 or above you will get approved quickly. June 1 my husbands insurance changed to united healthcare...they require me to have a bmi of 40 and 6 months of nutritionist ... I'm looking into self pay so I can start my journey.

Good luck to you I really hope you get your approval very soon!

I have United Healthcare, but bariatric surgery under my plan goes through Optum Health. I started my journey in Feb; but it took until December before I could have surgery.... six months of nutritionist visits, upper GI, blood work, pysch evaluation, and two required support group meetings!

The wait was depressing, since I wanted to loose the weight sooner than later, but now that the surgery is behind me it was worth it! I should mention that it took until March before I started to see weight loss--after the third fill. It was a long start before I could even begin.

I have horizon bcbs- took almost a month. My pcp was against it as well- I found a new one that would be supportive.

I also have BCBS it only took about a week for approval I had a BMI of 45 without any co morbidities good luck

I have united healthcare military west (tricare) and had my approval on day 6.

I have united healthcare military west (tricare) and had my approval on day 6.

Wow that's great Rebeccawks I too have tricare prime and I have my psychiatric appointment tomorrow.hope it goes well :/kinda nervous that's the last thing I have too do beside I guess 4 more months of nutrition visits with my dr. Since everyone says tricare west needs 6 months of it I've only done two should I wait to finish all six months then submit my paperwork to the insurance or submit after my psychiatric appointment ..gosshh I need some helpful info if anyone has any

I have UHC Optum Health, approved in less than 1 week. Surgery scheduled for 20 November.

I have Aetna. I had to do four months of supervised visits including various tests they decided they needed. Happily I didn't need a sleep study or endoscopy or anything like that. Just routine blood work and an EKG and a breathing test. Easy-peasy. I had to have a psych eval and a couple of meetings with a nutritionist. Then I had a five week nail biter of a wait for my approval and surgery date.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches