Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fell off the wagon and struggling to get back on

Hello! My name is Megan and I have had my lapband since March 2010. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. I was strict about everything from my portions to my food choices. The weight just fell off. I rarely exercised, which is something I really regret. In July 2011 I got pregnant with my son. My doc's protocol was to completely unfill my band. I experienced terrible all day sickness that only seemed better when I kept food in my tummy all day. I quickly gained as I had no restriction. I ate things I never ate with my band and had no control. By the time I had my son and went in for my first fill I had gained 60 pounds. I had my first fill and things were terrible. I had forgotten how to eat with the band. 4 cc's felt like 10 cc's and I started developing terrible acid reflux and sticking issues.

Everything I had been "programed" to know with the band was gone. I had completely forgotten how to listen to my body and stop when I was full.

I am now struggling to get back into things. I would like another fill, but my band just doesn't seem happy where I am at now and I worry that a fill will only upset things. I know when I had my surgery things had "slimmed down" in there to prepare for surgery and I know that needs to happen.

I am pleding with those of you who have been where I am at now. How do I get back to where I started from?

I have not been there ,as I am just a couple months out so I am sure other will offer their advise and I will offer my support :)

I would suggest if you want it... can you get back in with your NUT and maybe do the Post op diet over ( for a couple wks liquids then Mushies) esp since it sounds like your band is unhappy right now... Good Luck and like I said I am sure others with much more experience will chime in...

Being as you're already struggling with reflux, the last thing you need is another fill. In fact, I fear you may be too tight and need a slight unfill.

You have to remember your band has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss nor does it make it you lose weight. Losing weight boils down to simple math- when you burn more calories than you consume you lose. The band only controls your hunger making it a lot easier to be satisfied on smaller portions thus consuming less calories.

Here's a couple links that I think will really help you get back on track by better understanding your band:

The Lap Band is NOT About Restriction- Dr. Simpson

Tighter Isn't Always Better- Jean McMillan

You did this once before successfully and I have no doubt you can do it again. Look at it as starting over. Go see your nutritionist and let them help you get back on track with food. Read the above links. You can do this!

Best wishes and congratulations on your son!

I posted a few days ago how I fell off but the last week I really tried to get back on track and today I weighted myself and 4pounds down. I am smiling and glad to know for best results......follow directions!

when one falls (off)

you just get right back on

easier said then done i know

but its what you and me must do

how do you do it? how do you start?

you just begin

from basics....from scratch

eating your allotted amounts

drink alot

eat fresh protein/fresh veggies and fruit

and BELIEVE in yourself enough to do what it takes.

YOU CAN...

Thank you all for the support! Mis73, yes, I do believe I am a tad too tight. Going in for un-fill today. Thank you so much for those articles. Completely changed my entire outlook on the band. I wish I would have been trained to think that way, it would have made this easier. I need to start relying on myself to make good choices rather than relying on my band to keep me so tight. I feel much more confident and I'm hoping that things are up from here! Maybe next time I will make better choices and won't keep making my band angry. I know that is why I am uncomfortable now. I eat past my full point and just make everything unhappy. Thank you so much for your feedback!! :)