Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SAN DIEGO bandsters! where u at???

Hello everyone, my name is nicole, im 23, and I was banded on may 8th..literally 4 days ago. Even though I have a great supportive family and friends, I am reaching out to anyone in San Diego that can relate to me. I need some new friends that can share stories, advice, and even vent about this amazing journey.

Please get in contact with me so we can get the ball rolling :)

Good luck on your journey.... I've been on this site for about 10 weeks, and haven't seen many Californians in the forums. There are some, but not a whole lot. I hope some surface for you from SD. I'm north of you, in Thousand Oaks :-)

Thank you so much. Ive learned it gets alil bit easier everyday. Im hoping to meet people here on the site and locally that will be there along my journey as well as me being there for them. How long have you been banded? :)

Tomorrow will be 7 weeks for me. I got the band with further curvature gastric plication. I've lost 20 pounds so far, and I'm thrilled.

I'm doing very well with the band; no band related issues of pain, getting stuck, throwing up, etc. But I can't say that it's been easy. I STILL want to eat more than I should, and I want to eat things that I shouldn't. It's hard work, but the band is the first thing I've done in years, that's actually helped me lose a chunk of weight. I still have a way to go, but I'm on my way (thank God).

How are you feeling, now that you're 4 days from surgery? Are you on clear or full liquids?

PS: Though I hope some people surface from SD, you will find a tremendous amount of support from people all over the country (and some out of the country)....on this site. I wanted to find some people in SoCal at first, but the reality is, no matter where any of us are located, we ALL share the same issue. There is a common thread that runs through all of us, and the sharing and support that I've found here is Great :)

That is sooo awesome. Im so happy for you and the fact that you havent had any complications is even more of a bonus. Ive learned that this journey will take a great deal of patience but I am prepared for it because the end result is what is so rewarding.

As for me, the past few days have been rough but im staying positive. Ive had a hard time dealing with the gas pain even tho in walking about 3 miles a day. Im on Clear Liquids but Im going to try a little Soup tonight and see how I feel.

Everyday gets alil easier :)

The walking helped with the gas, but to me it seemed like it was going to leave when it was good and ready :unsure: I was completely rid of it after about 2 1/2 weeks.

I'm in San Diego and trying to gather all of the information that I can. I'm trying to decide gastric sleeve vs. lap band, but leaning more towards lap band. Any suggestions? I'd love to talk to those who actually have the band and is going through everything.

I have the band with plication. I looked into all of the surgeries prior, and out of all, the sleeve was never an option. It's way too extreme, and any possible issues of leakage from the staples, is life threatening. It could also require 4-6 weeks in the hospital, which I cannot afford.

I chose banded plication because I wanted the least invasive of all surgeries. Plication gives the added restriction of the sleeve, without cutting & removing 3/4 of my stomach. Once it's gone, you can never get it back. The band can be removed, and the sutures on the plication can be taken out.

I was banded on 3/25/13, and have not regretted it for one minute. I'm not going to lie......it's hard work. But it's hard work with ALL of the surgeries. They are a tool, not a cure. The difference with the band over the gastric bypass, is that the work begins as soon as you open your eyes from surgery. With the bypass, there is a honeymoon period where the weight comes off very quickly. But after 12-18 months, that stops and you're in the same boat as the band; having to control what you eat, and make healthy choices. There are other food limitations with the bypass; like sugar. But it doesn't sound like you're considering that procedure.

My vote is the band. But it's a very personal choice, and you have to do what feels right for you. But just know from the get go, that whether you go with the band or sleeve, it will be up to you to control portions and food choices.

Good luck :)

Thanks so much for your information. That's the one thing about the band that I can appreciate and that is the fact that it is reversible. I'm also n the vertical sleeve talk forum and the people that that have had issues with their band and removed it for the sleeve honestly scare me a bit away from the band.

In any WLS forum, you will read many stories that are scary. I contemplated surgery a year before having it done, and it was what I read in all of the forums that freaked me out. After packing on another 10 pounds, I knew I had to move forward, and I chose banded plication. I was scheduled for the bypass, but was too scared to go through with it. Also....I've known a couple of bypass people who gained a lot of weight over time, and ended up getting the band over the bypass.

The downside to the band over the other surgeries, is that there is continuous adjusting & follow up. With the sleeve and bypass, the surgery & done & that's it. Yes, you still have to follow up with your doctor, and there is support, etc. but the band required fills, un-fills, etc. Even still, knowing that it can be reversed was the peace of mind I needed, going into this aggressive form of weight loss.

No matter which surgery you decide to go with, eating behavior has to change. Most people have good results in the short term with all procedures. But over time, it's so easy to fall into old patterns; there isn't a surgery out there to change that.

One more thing..... When reading through these forums, please keep in mind that the success stories far outweigh the complication stories. It's unfortunate that some people have had a very bad experience. Some of the ones who post about it, feel the need to warn the masses of impending doom. When making your decision, try & keep your eye on the big picture ;)

Thank you for your response. I'm starting my journey on Sept 9, and since I'm a kaiser member, it's a 6 month process. It's scary, but I'm excited to do this for myself.