Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

percentages of weightloss

What will it accomplish? It may help the patient lose weight. In the U.S. study, the average weight loss was 36% of a patient’s excess weight three years after the device was implanted. More than half of the patients lost at least 25% of their excess weight; some patients lost over 75%, but some lost no weight.

I got this statement from the FDA website about lapband and when they approved it... I am in the process of researching doing the band.. i weigh 245 and would like to lose 80-100 pounds. the thing that concerns me is what it says the average weight loss is.. 36% of excess weight?? so 100 pounds of extra weight and losing 36% of it you only lose 36 pound? I know that its a study and just an average, but wow.. and then it says some lose no weight!!..:bananadoggywow:

Hiya Hay! And welcome to LBT!! You're doing the right thing... researching!

I believe the band is as successful as you let it be. It isn't a miracle cure... it's just a tool. You can have the best hammer in the world, but if you never take it out of your toolbox, that nail isn't making it into the wall.

When I researched, these were the theories I came up with on why the average is 36%:

If you're a sweet eater & don't change your eating, the lap-band won't be successful (it doesn't restrict sweets... they slide through the band very easily).

If you're a liquid/soft calorie eater (drinks, Soups, yogurt etc), the lap-band won't help much -- same thing, they slide through.

If you don't follow the bandster rules, the lap-band won't be successful. Drinking with meals allows the food to be diluted & slide through. Not eating Protein first will effect your weight loss. Making poor food choices will effect your weight loss.

If you don't ever get fills & get to appropriate restriction (often called the "sweet spot"), you won't lose effectively. Fills can be expensive for some... so they put off getting them. Or perhaps they're afraid of the needle. Personally, we have fill appointments monthly. We don't have to get a fill every month, but the appointment is there, so we're taking full advantage of the band.

Basically, the band will allow you to feel full on less food. The more weight you have to lose, the more that restriction of food volume will effect you -- even without changing WHAT you eat. However, eventually you get to the point where you'll either have to exercise more or change your eating habits in order to drop more weight. Some aren't willing to make that change, so they settle for less of their excess weight being lost.

There are a few that obey all the rules & still can't lose weight. We call them "turtles". Often, there's an underlying factor... something hormonal or a disease or syndrome. Most doctor's will attempt to identify these problems pre-banding, but sometimes they don't. I wouldn't say that it's a large percentage of folks, but they are vocal! :bananadoggywow:

For myself, I decided that I don't have to be average! I can choose to make the required changes... I can allow my tool to work. So far so good!

We're glad you're here!! Keep asking questions! :Banane20:

Janet, beautifully said!! I can't add a thing. Hay4943, the question is are YOU average? I didn't think so! :bananadoggywow:

When you go to see a surgeon he/she will give you a packet of information on the lapband and the percentages you quote are correct. My surgeon flat out told me that he discourages the band for "junk food junkies" because that food is primarily comprised of simple carbohydrates. Carbohydrates begin digestion in the mouth. He advised that the lapband works best for high volume eaters as opposed to junk food eaters.

I somewhat disagree with the sweet thing and such! I am / was a high volume anuthing eater- including sweets. But since banding I can say the following. 1-2 mini reces cups makes me happy (instead of 4 king size), a small bag of mm's or skittles is four- 5 days worth (or at least servings) for me now (again not the 1 lb bag), and a mini blizzard is two servings (inless the kids are at the hospital- then it is dinner- I can't chance a pb when I am taing care of them there)

I have even had to throw out pies or cakes that we can no longer eat up before they go bad! SO yes my sweet intake is down. 10-15 corn chips is all I could eat if I didn't want ot eat anything else.

I do eat a lot of soup- but again I have five kiddos under 6 that I have to keep up with and I always eat Soup or cottage chees or a mushie for dinner now- cause I can not concentrate and eat at the same table. Breakfast and lunch ar emy solid meal - (Isqueeze them in a nap time where I can concentrate)

PS_ I feel I lost more than 100% of body weight. I am right in the middle and 15 lbs below my original goal

Ditto on what Janet said...

All I can tell you is that I have already in 6 months lost more than 36% of my excess weight. But you have others here that haven't lost 5% of their excess weight in the same time for ALL different reasons.

Good luck to you.

Oh my goodness, Jane! Congrats on your weight loss! Sounds like you've conquered your addiction & have things well under control! :bananadoggywow:

I have to lose right around 176 pounds, and maybe more we might just head to 200 instead of 250 it just depends on how I feel. I started at 426 and I am now 360 in 10 months and I am still losing. I want the other 34 pounds off by June but we will see. Everyday is a learning process. I eat less then I ever had and I eat healthier (most of the time) but if I do want sweets I eat less then I use to I eat less carbs also. I have a 2 year plan and a 3 year plan. June 2007 I want to be at 250 and I am finally doing more exercise so I plan on it happening. If you want quick weight loss - the band is not the way to go, but it your willing to take the time and make the changes the band requires then it is the best weight loss tool available in my opinion!!

I wouldnt worry. I was happy but a little disappointed in my weight loss - 18kg in 5 months. I was realistic when I started out but we all have that little part of us that hopes that somehow the weight will just magically disappear.

Then my surgeon pointed out last week that I've lost 50% of my excess weight in 5 months - that's what he'd hoped to see me lose in a year!

How do you figure out what your "excess weight is?" Until a few years ago, I always weighed 125-130 lbs. Even after having kids. So do I add up all the weight I've gained, or figure off an ideal BMI? Or do I come up with a realistic goal for a woman almost 50? Is it up to me or the doctor?

Are these too many questions??

I decided to figue mine on a weight that put me at 5'9" in a normal bmi range. 165 was my goal and normal.

I am now 150- 155 (right in middle of normal BMI range/ (propbably too skinny - because I have about 15-20 lbs of hanging skin and still have a bottome 2 sizes bigger than the top! Nothing will change that but another surgery! I have litterally walked my &$$ off. But is is a 14 while top is 8-10. (NOT COMPLAINING THAT MUCH- but waist is the 8 makes it hard to get fitted pants and such)

But I havbe often pondered that question about what is "normal" or 100% excess and no one really does seem to have the right answer.

No I have not conquered my demons, just held them at bay- I really fear that if no band I would be back there quicker this time