Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sure this was covered by my Dr. at some point but for the life of me I don't remember... :wub:

And to some/all of you, you may think this is common sense, okay so I'll just say it...sometimes (not often) I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I know that when we eat we should wait 1 min. before taking another bite then chew, chew, chew. swallow wait 1 min. and repeat.

so do you wait 1 minute between swallows of Protein Shakes?

I'm just starting purees today and theres not much chewing involved do I still wait 1 min. between swallows?

and last but not least, I am not hungry, but the nice lady that the Dr. has checking on me says I have to up my calories and Protein :huh: , so I eat/drink, but when to stop I can't get more than 1/4 of cup in, even of a shake (my stomach feels crampy) but when you have no hunger its hard tell when your satisfied, or when to try again. when did your appetite return?

Any advice will be happily heard.

I'll ask my Dr. tomorrow if I still feel like I need answers to these :) just wondering what you all went through!

Thanks!!!!

Short answer is no, no need to wait. Guzzle away. The reason we eat "Food", chew, swallow, wait, is because it takes our pouch one minute to pass most food through the pouch and into our lower stomach. Fluids pass through the band/stoma nearly instantly and give no or very little pressure to the vagus nerve(the nerve that stimulates satiety).

My appetite came back in 3 days :(

I found that if I take too many sips at one time, or big gulps, I get a tinge of pressure. I take about 4 small sips in a row, the stop & start again. I don't time it; just wait until I feel ready to kick in again. Usually about 10 seconds.

With food, I don't remember hearing the "put your fork down & wait one minute between bites". They did tell us to take small bites, chew it beyond thorough, and put the fork down while you're doing that. But if I waited one full minute between bites, my one egg in the morning would be completely cold and disgusting before I get a chance to finish. The key is to go slowly, and eat mindfully. Triple underline the mindfully part! If you eat too fast, you won't give your brain a chance to figure out what's happening in your body with each and every bite. It takes a little practice, but at three weeks out, I'm getting pretty good at it. But sometimes I find myself eating without thinking, and I have to back off, slow down and slip back into "mindful mode".

I found that if I take too many sips at one time, or big gulps, I get a tinge of pressure. I take about 4 small sips in a row, the stop & start again. I don't time it; just wait until I feel ready to kick in again. Usually about 10 seconds.

With food, I don't remember hearing the "put your fork down & wait one minute between bites". They did tell us to take small bites, chew it beyond thorough, and put the fork down while you're doing that. But if I waited one full minute between bites, my one egg in the morning would be completely cold and disgusting before I get a chance to finish. The key is to go slowly, and eat mindfully. Triple underline the mindfully part! If you eat too fast, you won't give your brain a chance to figure out what's happening in your body with each and every bite. It takes a little practice, but at three weeks out, I'm getting pretty good at it. But sometimes I find myself eating without thinking, and I have to back off, slow down and slip back into "mindful mode".

Yeah, that one minute is like an eternity aint it? I tried the one minute maybe twice and it's just too long. I try to pace myself and as time goes along you learn how fast you can eat to avoid stuck episodes. But waiting one minute would make each meal an hour long for me. I think my molars may be more efficient than some as I can mush that piece of steak in 12 Chomps.

tmf

Yeah, that one minute is like an eternity aint it? I tried the one minute maybe twice and it's just too long. I try to pace myself and as time goes along you learn how fast you can eat to avoid stuck episodes. But waiting one minute would make each meal an hour long for me. I think my molars may be more efficient than some as I can mush that piece of steak in 12 Chomps.< /p>

tmf

Thats good to know, I haven't learned how fast I can go yet! I had kinda figured I didn't have to wait with a shake, but really didn't know about the purees, thanks for clarifying! I know it won't happen over night but I can't wait until this band and I understand each other better :rolleyes: Thanks again

Yeah, that one minute is like an eternity aint it? I tried the one minute maybe twice and it's just too long. I try to pace myself and as time goes along you learn how fast you can eat to avoid stuck episodes. But waiting one minute would make each meal an hour long for me. I think my molars may be more efficient than some as I can mush that piece of steak in 12 Chomps.< /p>

tmf

LOL!! I was told that a meal should take 20 minutes. I told my doctor, if I take 20 minutes to eat, whatever I'm eating will be completely sickening before I'm done. He laughed; totally got it. He reiterated to just eat small bites, chew, blah blah. I believe that they give us these timeframes as a guideline, not as a Holly Bible. I also questioned his band rule of only three meals a day. I'd rather eat 5 smaller meals, etc. He told me that it was okay, as long as I counted everything. He said "you'll figure it out". But clearly, the rules are guidelines only. However.....there are a couple that aren't negotiable... one being, never drink with meals, and small bites chewed to a pulp.

LOL!! I was told that a meal should take 20 minutes. I told my doctor, if I take 20 minutes to eat, whatever I'm eating will be completely sickening before I'm done. He laughed; totally got it. He reiterated to just eat small bites, chew, blah blah. I believe that they give us these timeframes as a guideline, not as a Holly Bible. I also questioned his band rule of only three meals a day. I'd rather eat 5 smaller meals, etc. He told me that it was okay, as long as I counted everything. He said "you'll figure it out". But clearly, the rules are guidelines only. However.....there are a couple that aren't negotiable... one being, never drink with meals, and small bites chewed to a pulp.

Dr's are so different, mine was clear about waiting 1 minute had us watch a video and everything. I agree though we will all learn what our bodies will do. ;) there are a lot of people on here that have been told they can drink with meals as long as they wait the 1 min. between swallows LOL

It really is funny how we're all given different guide lines!

Thanks for the advice!

WOW - I thought drinking with meals is a cardinal lap band sin :P I think that doctor was the exception, not the norm. I love that when I DO drink about an hour or so after eating, I'm all filled up again. I can see where that dynamic really makes the band work for us.

If you have trouble getting your Protein drinks in, try this schedule.

Drink 2-3 oz Protein at the top of each hour.

At each 15 minutes interval there after, drink 2-3 oz of hydrated liquids.

in a normal 15 hour waking period each day, that will net you 30-45 oz of protein averaging 17-23 gr per 10 ounces. and well over your needed hydration Fluid. Just after surgery this was my routine for 3 weeks and I was never hungry or dehydrated. Worked for me. Spacing the fluids out helped immensely.

Good luck!

2muchfun: you crack me up! :)

WOW - I thought drinking with meals is a cardinal lap band sin :P I think that doctor was the exception, not the norm. I love that when I DO drink about an hour or so after eating, I'm all filled up again. I can see where that dynamic really makes the band work for us.

Watch this but always do what your doctor tells you to do. Dr O'Brien is probably the most well known of all Bariatric surgeons and was a pioneer in gastric banding.
Rule 5 liquids

Here is the full series for you newbies:

Part 1

part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Obrien exp lapband example

Personally I don't wait a full minute with my softer Proteins but I do with meat and things like broccoli because for me they take a big longer to pass through.

If I need to drink with my meals I sip but follow the one minute rule between bites and sipping ( my instructions I'm allowed to sip with meals).

When im not eating I just drink as normal as Water passes through quickly for me.

Watch this but always do what your doctor tells you to do. Dr O'Brien is probably the most well known of all Bariatric surgeons and was a pioneer in gastric banding.

Rule 5 liquids

WOW - thanks for posting these. VERY informative!

2muchfun, i have gotten my appetite back very quickly too. I had the surgery friday and started getting hunger pangs yesterday, Monday. I hope this is not a sign of what is to come. I am envisioning never o losing my appetite. I did Optifast years ago and never lost my appetite. DDR said that was unusual, and that i just have a very large appetite