Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest pain

Ok I have to Ask if anyone has experienced this. I have been banded almost 5 years and have never had this happen. Yesterday I ate a few, maybe 1/8 cup of shelled sunflower seeds. Since then I have had mid sternum dull chest pain that only hurts when I drink or eat. It is very strong then. Goes away within a minute. I am not too tight and can still get liquids and soft foods down easy. Scared to try more solid foods. I am a nurse and I know this isn't a heart attack so please don't advise me to go to ER. Just wondering if anyone has had this. I'm going to call doc Monday if it is still going on. I have had left shoulder pain if I eat too much but this is totally different. Doesn't feel like acid reflux either. Doesn't burn like reflux. More like some has punched me in chest when I swallow.

Also burping or hiccup produces same pain.

You sound stuck to me.

But I am having no pb episodes. I have on other hand been under tremendous stress this week. Earlier in week I had several episodes of pb. I'm wondering now if its not just a pulled chest wall muscle. My neck muscles in front Also hurt. It's weird. Like I said I'm a nurse and it has me stumped.

I did go ahead and take a Zantac and 3 tums earlier and it does seem better. Ate about 5 small pieces of steak and a 1/4 baked potatoes with salad at supper and had minimal pain. No pb. Went down well.

Seeds can sometimes get kind of clogged in the band. Could be what happened to you, and now it's passed through.

It really does sound like you are stuck.

I've been taking Zantac 150 daily for past 3 days and it is much better. Called my surgeon office yesterday but they never called me back. If I was stuck how could I eat And drink now without and problems? Also wasn't having problems then either. Just the pain.

I would definitely seek out your band doctor. I understand you are an experienced Nurse but who knows what could be going on in there.

I eat sunflower seeds in my at home salads all the time and have never had any problems. Call the doctor.

Ok I have to Ask if anyone has experienced this. I have been banded almost 5 years and have never had this happen. Yesterday I ate a few, maybe 1/8 cup of shelled sunflower seeds. Since then I have had mid sternum dull chest pain that only hurts when I drink or eat. It is very strong then. Goes away within a minute. I am not too tight and can still get liquids and soft foods down easy. Scared to try more solid foods. I am a nurse and I know this isn't a heart attack so please don't advise me to go to ER. Just wondering if anyone has had this. I'm going to call doc Monday if it is still going on. I have had left shoulder pain if I eat too much but this is totally different. Doesn't feel like acid reflux either. Doesn't burn like reflux. More like some has punched me in chest when I swallow.

ive been banded just over 12 months now. I had 1 cc put in about five weeks ago which brought me up to 4.5mls.. since then i sufferred with the soreness when i either drank or ate. when the coffee hit the pouch i could feel it. The same with everything i ate. Then i was having pain right through in that site from font to back. Eventually it spread down to my groin area and over my buttocks at the back. Of a night i was suffering with intense pain which is very much like a heat attack, but i knew it wasnt. That was relieved by taking quick eze, after about a half hour. also i was PBing. I found generally that i had more mucus. having more mucus in my throat and it was like having a head cold where i had to clear my sinuses all the time. Sometimes i had to vomit up the mucus to relieve the intense pain. I had to ring and see the dr. AFter discussion we decide to take a cc out... see how i manage and then come back in three weeks. Ive been greatly improved. i cant tell you how miserable i was for that period of time. Now i can eat with no discomfort. Not eating anymore than before but im managing to eat a bit faster than before. When i was struggling it would take me an hour to eat a cup full. Im hoping to have fills put in a 1/4 cc at a time from now on. i was in the red zone for sure. I think sometimes it pays to read up on the different zones and what to expect from them. Its very good information.