Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So yesterday I met with the surgeon for my lap band for the first time. The PA came in first and explained everything to me and was very informative and answered all my questions i had etc...then the surgeon came in and i really have mixed emotions about her first she asked me how much weight i thought i wanted to lose, i said between 80-100 pounds she said the lap band only works on 50 % OF people and that i would only lose about 40-50 pounds with the lap band. I told her i was not intrested in gastric bypass whatsoever so i was choosing the band. she kinda discouraged me with the 40-50 pound thing because i know many people here on this site lost maore than that...she said i would have to be seen about 8 times the first 2 years and would have to take about minimum 2 weeks off work, although she would like 1 month off work. She did not try to really "sell" me on getting the band, and i really didnt feel that comfortable with her, any way i can switch surgeons? get one that can tell me diffrent? im not sure if she said this just so my hopes arent that high but i kinda want 80 - 100 pounds off so not sure what to do or think at this time. why would anyone want to lose just 40-50 pounds and get the band i mean i lost 14 pounds so far without it.....and like i said know many that lost way more than that....i also got all my scripts for testing, ekg, nutrition and psych consult, pap smear, scope, etc.... going to get them soon.

I was banded a few months ago, I plan and WILL lose 100 lbs. you have to be motivated and you have to be willing to follow the rules. If you do that then you will be successful. Sounds like the surgeon isn't going to be totally supportive. Can you switch to another surgeon? One who 'gets it'. As far as time off, I was banded on a Wednesday and back to work on Monday with no issues. Good luck and remember to reach for the stars, you're worth it!

As you said this site has many stories of people losing a lot more then that but there are stories of those who gain everything back - as we have all been told many times - the band is a tool.

As far as time off - I have never heard of anyone needing that much time off? I am just having my surgery next Tuesday back certainly am not expecting that. I think if you are not happy with her and have other options for a doctor you should go talk to them. If you are uncomfortable with the doctor from the start you will be anxious throughout the whole procedure

I had my surgery 4 months ago and am down 53 pounds including the 15 pounds I lost on my pre-op diet. I also haven't gotten a fill yet.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

get a doctor that more supportive..I have lost 60 lbs in 6 mos and very happy if you follow the plan and get enough fills you'll be fine. talk to your doctors about fills if they are to slow with then and u need one then you will be unhappy so folks can go with none other need to fill it half way find out does he put any in at surgery tie how much and how often and how much each time after that.

I'm in PGH area too; what surgeon did you meet with?

thanks for all the support i am currently going to magee hospital...the surgeon is dr hammod? spelling ? but there is diffrent surgeons there at the office i was going to look them up and see who i would want to meet with.

I've gone to Magee too. Dr. Courcoulas is wonderful. She recommended bypass due to my weight but was supportive when I said I want the band instead. Due to insurance denial I'm going to have to go somewhere else where it's cheaper though. Dr. Courcoulas removed my gallbladder 3 weeks ago and it was complex because of my weight and scar tissue. She took good care of me and I wish I could afford Magee's cash price for the band, but I just can't.

I was just looking up her info...it sounds like she is a very very busy woman, but i may have to have an appt with her. so if i want to change my surgeon what do i do? i alrady met with a surgeon, do i have to meet with this new one now if i want to switch? or can it wait until later?

I would schedule an appointment now if you want to switch. It can take three or four weeks to see her.

You can definitely change surgeons and I think you're wise to.

Unfortunately a lot of surgeons try to steer patients away from the Lap Band because it isn't the money maker that Gastric Bypass or the Sleeve is. You need to be comfortable with your surgeon because you're going to have a long relationship with them.

As far as switching, all you have to do is sign the medical release forms to transfer your records to the new surgeon. They can't deny you this, by the way. It is your legal right to do so.

As far as weight loss with the band, how much you lose is entirely up to you. I've lost 196 pounds in 14 months and I'm still losing. That is 75% of my excess body weight. I have no doubt I'll lose the rest, too. Don't let anyone tell you can't lose all the weight you need with the band because you most certainly can.

Best wishes.

I just want to say if your gut instinct says to find another doctor, bail now! This is a life changes surgery, and you really need to be able to trust your surgeon through the journey.