Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight-Loss Myths Refuted in New Review

Very interesting article that I thought I'd share.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the most firmly held beliefs about weight loss are unproven or downright untrue, according to an analysis comparing concepts promoted in the popular media with data from the scientific literature.

The findings were published online January 31 in a special article in the New England Journal of Medicine.

"False and scientifically unsupported beliefs about obesity are pervasive in both scientific literature and the popular press," write Krista Casazza, PhD, RD, from the Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, and colleagues.

The authors discuss a total of 7 myths, along with refuting evidence. Here are some examples:

• Small changes in food intake and/or exercise will produce large, long term weight changes — This idea was based on the old idea that 3500 kcal equals 1 pound of weight. But it does not take into account the fact that energy requirements change as body mass changes over time. So, as weight is lost, it takes increasingly more exercise and reduced intake to perpetuate the loss.

• Realistic weight-loss goals will keep people motivated — This idea seems reasonable, but it is not supported by evidence. In fact, several studies have shown that people with very ambitious goals lose more weight (eg, TV's The Biggest Loser).

• Slow, gradual weight loss is best for long-term success — Actually, a meta-analysis of randomized, controlled weight-loss trials found that rapid weight loss via very-low-calorie diets resulted in significantly more weight loss (16% vs 10% of body weight) at 6 months, and differences in weight loss persisted up to 18 months (Int J Behav Med. 2010;17:161-167).

• A bout of sexual activity burns 100 to 300 kcal per person — With intense sexual activity, a 154-pound man burns approximately 3.5 kcal per minute. However, given that the average amount of time spent during one stimulation and orgasm session is about 6 minutes, this man might expend about 21 kcal total. But, he would burn about 7 kcal just lying on the couch, so that amount has to be subtracted, which gives a grand total of 14 kcals of energy expended.

The article also explores 6 "presumptions," or widely accepted beliefs that are neither proven nor disproven. Among them:

• Eating Breakfast prevents obesity — Actually, 2 studies showed no effect of eating vs skipping breakfast.

• Adding fruits and vegetables to the diet results in weight loss — Adding more calories of any type without making any other changes is likely to cause weight gain. Eating fruits and vegetables is healthful, however.

• Weight cycling, aka "yoyo dieting," increases mortality — The data are from observational studies and likely confounded by health status.

Finally, the authors offer 9 facts about obesity and weight loss that are supported by data, among them:

• Moderate environmental changes can promote as much weight loss as even the best weight-loss drugs.
  • Diets do produce weight loss, but attempting to diet and telling someone to diet are not necessarily the same thing.
  • Physical activity does help in promoting weight loss and has health benefits even in the absence of weight loss.
  • For overweight children, involving the family and home environment in weight-loss efforts is ideal.
  • Providing actual meals or Meal Replacements works better for weight loss than does general advice about food choices.
  • Both weight-loss drugs and bariatric surgery can help achieve long-term weight loss in some individuals.

According to Dr. Casazza and colleagues, "The myths and presumptions about obesity that we have discussed are just a sampling of the numerous unsupported beliefs held by many people, including academics, regulators, and journalists, as well as the general public. Yet there are facts about obesity of which we may be reasonably certain — facts that are useful today."

And they conclude, "While we work to generate additional useful knowledge, we may in some cases justifiably move forward with hypothesized, but not proven, strategies. However, as a scientific community, we must always be open and honest with the public about the state of our knowledge and should rigorously evaluate unproved strategies."

Original article: http://www.medscape....warticle/778600

Interesting read....TY for sharing!

Am I understanding this correctly, the more you lose the more you have to exercise and eat even less than I already am to keep the weight off?

Am I understanding this correctly, the more you lose the more you have to exercise and eat even less than I already am to keep the weight off?

I think it's more the idea that as your weight goes down, your calorie needs also go down, so you have to burn more calories to continue losing. For instance, my base metabolic rate when I was 400 pounds was 2512 calories. But now, at 226 pounds, my base metabolic rate is now 1755 calories. So, I could have lost weight consuming 1800 calories a day when I was 400 pounds. But now, I couldn't.

But keep in mind almost all of us are already taking in very low calorie diets so you're not going to have decrease your calories as you go down. Again, to use myself as an example, I consume about 1200 calories a day. Even if I weighed 130 pounds, I'd have a BMR of 1338 and my daily calories would still be less than that.

I hope that helps explains it!

Thank you Missy, as always, insightful and intelligent answers. I didn't think of the before to after, just now and onward, so had a totally different perspective on it :).

I think it's more the idea that as your weight goes down, your calorie needs also go down, so you have to burn more calories to continue losing. For instance, my base metabolic rate when I was 400 pounds was 2512 calories. But now, at 226 pounds, my base metabolic rate is now 1755 calories. So, I could have lost weight consuming 1800 calories a day when I was 400 pounds. But now, I couldn't.

But keep in mind almost all of us are already taking in very low calorie diets so you're not going to have decrease your calories as you go down. Again, to use myself as an example, I consume about 1200 calories a day. Even if I weighed 130 pounds, I'd have a BMR of 1338 and my daily calories would still be less than that.

I hope that helps explains it!

That was a very interesting article Missy, thanks. I was curious about something - how did you get your basal metabolism rate? The reason I'm asking is that I took a test that measures your REE -Resting Energy Expenditure, (I think). . It measured the amount of calories I need every day to maintain my current weight, but at total rest, (first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, no Water, and you can't even read or listen to music during the test). When I took it, I weighed 217 lbs, and my REE was 1290, (that would be for no activity, just lying in bed and breathing). Then they multiply that number by 1.2, which would account for getting up, walking around, (typical activity without anything formal). For that, the number went up to 1548, which to me still seemed low. I then asked if my REE would go down as I lose more weight, but they didn't think very much. They also said the one way to raise your REE was to build muscle.

That was a very interesting article Missy' date=' thanks. I was curious about something - how did you get your basal metabolism rate? The reason I'm asking is that I took a test that measures your REE -Resting Energy Expenditure, (I think). . It measured the amount of calories I need every day to maintain my current weight, but at total rest, (first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, no Water, and you can't even read or listen to music during the test). When I took it, I weighed 217 lbs, and my REE was 1290, (that would be for no activity, just lying in bed and breathing). Then they multiply that number by 1.2, which would account for getting up, walking around, (typical activity without anything formal). For that, the number went up to 1548, which to me still seemed low. I then asked if my REE would go down as I lose more weight, but they didn't think very much. They also said the one way to raise your REE was to build muscle.[/quote']

There are BMR calculators all over the internet. The one I use takes your age, weight, age, and height to determine it. I'm currently on my phone but when I get home and to my saved links, I'll post it here for you to have a look at :)

Ok here's the BMR calculator I use. I like it because it actually decreases with age and recognizes the differences between men and women.

http://www.bmi-calcu...bmr-calculator/

Thanks - I appreciate the info.

Mine came up at 1750... Does that seem way too high? I'm 5'7.5 inches.

The way I read the link, I should subtract about 500 calories from that, right? I'm asking because I've been plateaued for about a month. ???ž

Mine came up at 1750... Does that seem way too high? I'm 5'7.5 inches.

The way I read the link, I should subtract about 500 calories from that, right? I'm asking because I've been plateaued for about a month. 😞

Well that depends on how much you weigh and whether you're male or female. That is just the number of calories your body needs to exist. For weight loss, especially with the band, it's going to be different. I would definitely talk to your nutritionist to establish a healthy calorie range for yourself.