Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gardening Questions and Pictures

:omg: 3loves :omg:

My dream is to have a REAL veggie garden.

Funny how you said that - thats how you were raised. I think we ALL grew up tending a garden.

NOW we grow up with Walmart having everything :bananadoggywow: .

The family picture... thats priceless.

Kare, IIIIII noticed your blue door. Sure did!

If you wouldnt have all the flower color in your yard, I dont think it would be as positive looking. I loved it.

I also love you and Lisa's stone walkways.

*sigh* Ill never have anything that looks that good.

Myra, Ive just added that site to my favorites. good-God! I didnt know they had things like that available on the net.

wow that veggie garden looks like the ones in AL where my dad lives - most of the relatives I have there live off their gardens!

when I was there a few years ago it amazed me because to get something like to grow here in FL would take too much work and my dad/grandad thought that was their ONLY job lol

wish I could have done the stones myself; that was my husband's doing - I had a hundred other things we could have done with $6,000. I should have put that was for the front and a 13 x 20 patio in the back :doh:

<that's for another thread on not understanding men>

Have you checked into the stones on HGTV that you do yourself? If I had seen those first we might have done this job ourselves.

You pour the concrete into a mold, (like quick-crete) let it set and then color it - it's supposed to be a lvl 2 job on scale of 1-5.

Anyone done this or have knowledge of it? Anything above lvl 3 I usually don't even think about attempting.

WOW that butterfly garden is gorgeous.

Oh Kare, I noticed you have almost the same walkway we do, did you do it yourself?

Oh, there's nothing better than fresh veggies from the garden. We LOVE half runner green Beans...YUMMY!!

Kare ~ I love your door....it fits perfectly. I don't think it's out of place or too showy. It does make a statement, but not a "crazy" one. :bananadoggywow:

Lisa ~ Have you tried www.jerrybaker.com? He has some homemade tonics that will work wonders for various weeds. Check it out. Also, when you do treat, put a large piece of cardboard next to your plants to prevent any over spray.....maybe that will help.

More pics.....I love pics!! Where is Leatha's pics.....I thought she had more? I love this stuff. It's a nice distraction from the every stresses. :biggrin1:

Have you checked into the stones on HGTV that you do yourself? If I had seen those first we might have done this job ourselves.

You pour the concrete into a mold, (like quick-crete) let it set and then color it - it's supposed to be a lvl 2 job on scale of 1-5.

Oh Kare, I noticed you have almost the same walkway we do, did you do it yourself?

Similar... but it looks like yours are are the same size... ? There are 3 different sizes in my "interlocking pavers." I do a LOT myself... my sons & I poured the concrete and laid stone on the back patio, but believe me it doesn't look professional like the front. They had to take out all the existing concrete and dug down to put 18" of sand base. The outside edge in concreted in, but the rest is interlocked on top of the sand. This isn't one job I would attempt myself.

The back doesn't drain right, even tho we tried to pour it so Water would flow downhill. It's harder than it looks. Lot's of things you can do over, but "set in concrete" has a whole new meaning to me.

I vote with your hubby on this one.

After reading that post about HGTV again, let me explain about it.

I found it, but :doh: I was spelling the word wrong - http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_hiwt/resource/0,2496,HGTV_21356_52119,00.html

It was SOOO beautiful and simple to do if you can mix, pour and paint. The hard part was cleaning out the grass where you want the stones/walkway.

You buy these kits, HD had them at that time and HGTV the kits contain a mold that is 2' x 4' and some other stuff.

Here is an example:

untitled.jpg

You clean out the area you want to do, leaving a couple of inches on each side for the width, level it off, drop some play sand (silica ?) into it, put this mold down on the ground, mix the qwick-crete into a plastic can/container, pour it into the mold and let it set.

You leave it for the time it says, say 24 hrs, come back, pick the mold up and you have your walkway or you can start over and make it longer. Then you get the paint they tell you you can use on it and paint each piece.

Last year, they had different designs like Kare's and mine - herringbone? and ones that looked like river stones <sigh> thats what I wanted instead of a paver walkway lol

Here is a diff pic of our walkway - it's 2 different colored squares and 1 rectangle inner and outerlining them.

paver.jpg

Oh I envy those of you who have yards! FL is crazy with home and land pricing - I have heard alot of other areas are too. When I see pictures of land and acreage I just drool - at least I can dream :speechles

Quikrete's Walk Makers molds are a selection of reusable plastic forms designed to create poured-in walkways, garden paths, patios and pads.

The molds are available in four patterns; Country Stone, Running Bond Brick, European Block and Basket Weave Brick.

Just place the mold, fill it with Quikrete, pack and level it to the top of the form and then remove the form.

It's a quick and easy way to create useful patio spaces or smooth pathways in your yard.

http://www.quikrete.com/diy/WalkMakerandStepMakerMolds.html

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60278

Oh that path looks easy enough. But woman yours isn't just a path, is it? My pavers are an entire driveway, front stoop and path.

If someone's just doing a path, then those pavers look great. In my backyard I have a combination path of Arizona shale, marble, used concrete, etc that was pretty easy to make. The used concrete was the hardest to get level because it's thick, heavy and the bottom isn't flat. Its big advantage is that it was FREE. :grouphug:

I'll take a pic this weekend.

ooo I want my driveway done in pavers or stained to look like it is - since stains are much less work and less $$

wow I bet Arizona shale is beautiful - can't wait to see a pic of yours - my friend moved to Phoenix 2 years ago and they have sent tons of pictures.

The pathways they did on HGTV were all different kinds - I guess you're only limited by how much space and effort you want to put into that kind of project.

My husband is NOT the handy type, so no way we would have ever attempted it here. We tried a stone patio 8 years ago and did such a horrible job, we gave up and said never again :grouphug:

For someone who is handy and loves projects - your imagination can go a long way into what you can do with that walkway one - I bet if someone knew how - they could take the one cobble stone? looking mold and put them in the right place and it would look like my s shaped one.

Im just glad to have tackled the front rock pit and started with adding some plants - learning new things every week about how to do things.

Having to be patient while things grow from small plants to larger ones is almost as bad as waiting on my band! lol

post-205997-13813133428118_thumb.gif

post-205630-13813133428434_thumb.png

post-204398-13813133429404_thumb.jpg

post-204398-13813133429566_thumb.jpgI thought I would share my yard in Beautiful Washington, These were taken last June. I spend a lot of time in it. today I will plant my dahlias. And get more planted pots going. This week has been beautiful here so a lot has gotten done.

post-206067-13813133196475_thumb.jpg

post-206067-13813133196878_thumb.jpg

post-206067-13813133197262_thumb.jpg

post-206067-1381313319765_thumb.jpg

DeAnn ~ that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! And your grass is sooooooo green!!!!

You must tell what you are using for that gorgeous color.

Oh Deann, I still have my mouth open!! :omg: What a beautiful and breathtaking yard!! This looks better than some golf courses!! I love the variety of flowers and shrubs/trees. Do you get many hummingbirds? I noticed your feeder by the window. We have 2 bird feeders out front and in the AM we have a pair of doves (they mate for life, did u know?) and then in the PM we have a pair of cardinals. Then we get everything in between....sparrows, blue jays, red-headed woodpeckers. I love the country!! You have inspired me to get a hummingbird feeder. :biggrin1: Now all you need a big sign that says: Kasey Kahne Lane. It's a NASCAR thing if I lost anyone on that one. :P

Ow COM ON DeAnn! Fess up--you PHOTOTSHOPED that green in, didn't you??? That's the most beautiful lawn I've ever seen!!

Do you have golfers knocking on your door begging to take a putt?

thank you ! I love it. The only problem in on the other side of the fence is a Dog Kennel. And it is noisy. It makes it really hard to enjoy it all the time. I keep hoping the land sells and houses get built . I can deal with people better than dogs barking 24/7! ( sorry been working out side today can you tell I've had enough of dogs barking!) any way! I do get humming birds. I have added three more feeders and I have to fill them at least once a week. I would like to find room to plant more stuff but I don't want it to be overcrowded. We move here about 3.5 yrs ago and it was all wooded. So we have done a lot. I'm out planting my dahlias today. We are reseeding our front yard tonight. It took a beating with the weather this winter. Were hoping to have it in shape by June.

As for Kassey Kane Lane..... Uh you should see our garages.. My DH has a complete Nascar garage ! Most of the stuff is Big E and Little E as he is a big fan of both. Our other garage is done with his classic cars, we have several Chevy's that we show. I am sure getting excited about next week. That is one reason I'm trying to get as much done as I can now. I don't know how I will feel afterwords to do yard work.

You wont be that far behind me will you! how exciting!.