Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this an NSV, or is it just weird?

I don't post many questions here because I am (in my own mind) a band expert, but today I had an experience I can't quite figure out, so maybe y'all can help me with it. Also: an NSV is a non-scale victory - a weight loss benefit unrelated to the numbers on the scale.< /p>

This morning I drove to a liquor store up in KY (this TN county and all the surrounding ones are dry, so KY is the nearest place to buy booze) to buy 100-proof vodka so my husband can make a cordial he calls “stumpblower” out of the pulp he extracted from last year’s blackberries.

At the liquor store I had to ask one of the guys working there for help finding the 100-proof vodka. He was maybe in his late 30’s, pleasant and helpful. After I picked out the vodka (I chose the cheapest because my husband's past efforts at making stuff like cider and fruit cordial have not worked out well enough to justify something like Absolut), we walked up to the counter. I gave him cash and instead of just handing me the change, he pressed into my palm and kind of squeezed my hand. I’m not sure if that was an NSV because he was attracted to/flirting with me (in which case he must prefer older women, because I'm almost 60), or just weird.

Years ago I read somewhere that touching a customer’s hand during a transaction like that is an effective way to make a personal connection to them, thereby building customer loyalty. I don’t know if I believe that. I don't think it's something a Yankee would do (but I haven't lived in the northeast for 14 years), but that’s the first time it’s happened to me here in the south. I very rarely touch customers at the JCPenney store where I work unless I’m doing a bra fit, and then I tell the customer in advance what I’m going to do so she doesn’t jump a mile when I touch her. I love to hug my old lady customers but even then I always ask for permission, like saying, “Is it OK if I give you a hug?”

What would you think if something like that happened to you? Good, bad, indifferent? Thoughts? Opinions?

Totally flirting! :)

Like you, I would be thinking WTH!!!LOL

Just go along with the idea and this is probably true, he was copping a feel on a sexy broad.

I be jealous!

who could want/desire one sexy woman..........

being a southerner, am a touchy feely person....could be a southern type thing....

Did he look deep into your eyes??? Do you think he would have given a man his change back the same way?? He was doin' somethin'! LOL! ssssss.... (burning sound) you hot mama you!

Omg...he totally was flirting with you! I hope you were blushing..I bet you made his day (and maybe his night too!)

Could be flirting, could be creepy. Depends on what he looked like. :lol:

Could be a stalker in training..............

He was nice looking, but not the type that I'm attracted to. But then, I've been married for 25 years, and my memory about that kind of thing is kinda hazy...

Omg...he totally was flirting with you! I hope you were blushing..I bet you made his day (and maybe his night too!)

Oh, please. I don't want to even think about his night.

Did he look deep into your eyes??? Do you think he would have given a man his change back the same way?? He was doin' somethin'! LOL! ssssss.... (burning sound) you hot mama you!

I was too befuddled to look at his face!

Well, all I can tell you Jean is that he had done that to me, I would have been totally wierded out! :o

Seriously, I remember reading a study that found that when a waitress touched the customer (shoulder, hand etc.), they got higher tips on average.

Well, all I can tell you Jean is that he had done that to me, I would have been totally wierded out! :o

Hey, that kinda thing isn't allowed in Kentucky anyway.

Seriously, I remember reading a study that found that when a waitress touched the customer (shoulder, hand etc.), they got higher tips on average.

That must be the study I read about.

By the way, I love the message in your signature.