Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Even after losing weight. Why do i still look and feel fat?

I make sure to put before and after pictures side by side. If that doesn't show the difference! I also put on a jacket that I couldn't even zip a few months ago and now I can fold it around myself. But it does take time to get over it that's for sure!

I've lost about 30lbs and now weigh less than I have in at least 5 years--- but my mind just doesn't see it. A co-worker called me "shrinking woman" today and I told her she's NuTS. I guess it's all part of this journey....

I lost so much that I actually got to the point where I was looking very thin, but I couldn't see it. I only saw the extra padding I still had on my thighs and the backfat I still had around my bra, and the double chin I still thought I had. I didn't notice the ribs showing in my cleavage, or how thin my arms were, or that my hip bones were sticking out. My friends worried about me, and my dr threatened to unfill me, and it took that for me to realise that my perception of myself was pretty skewed.

It takes a long time for our heads to catch up. if ever. Even now, with just an extra 20+lbs up from my stable weight, I struggle not to feel like a whale most days. And yet I still an in a US size 6 - 8 (size 10 Australian). That's my head playing it's nasty tricks on me, and I have to keep reminding myself that what it's telling me isn't true.

Our minds were treacherous to us when we were big and we couldn't really see it, and it's treacherous to us now, so you really have to work on seeing the real picture of yourself, and if you succeed, please let me know how because I'm still trying to figure it out!

I identify with this 100%. I had people telling me how thin I was and I couldn't see it. Yes I had(still have) skinny legs but surely they could see how much fat I still had around my stomach, back etc.

I have regained a couple of kilos and still get called skinny , which I am not and no I'm not in denial but compared to most people my age I suppose I am. But there is 1 advantage to the couple of extra kilos - my face looks better. At my lowest weight I had big bags under my eyes and I was starting to consider fillers etc but now I don't think they are needed(at least not for a couple more years). I would love to lose again but I probably don't need to which could be why i am finding it so hard.

I think the media has so much to answer for.We no longer know what a normal healthy body should look like as we only get images of models that are super slim with no saggy bits and superflat stomachs no matter how old they are.

I was just wondering how many of us after losing weight. Whether at goal or not do you still look in the mirror an see youself as fat. Or feel yourself fat maybe in the face (chubby cheeks) or something.

I havent loss tons of weight but i weigh less now than i have in a decade but i still see myself as fat. Maybe even more now than when i first started. I dont get it. People notice my thinner self even my teenage sons comment on it. But i dont see it.

Sorry for rambling just wondering if there is anyone else out yhere going through the same thing. Or if you did what did you do to correct your view of yourself??

When I started this journey, I completely felt this way. We are so used to it, when it changes, mentally we do not see it.

What I found helps, is to look at past pictures and compare to current pictures. It takes some time getting used to it. I also started taking pictures of myself, for some reason I can "see" it on the photo.