Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get enough protein?

I was just banded a week and a half ago and I'm still on full liquids but I'm thinking ahead to when I start solids, and I'm wondering how do you get in the recommended 60-70 grams of Protein a day with the small bandster servings? What kind of meals do you eat?

I eat mostly meat. I am able to eat any meat. I have never had a stuck episode. I also only have 1 cc in my band though and I'm 8 months since surgery.

My dr told me when I started on solids that I was to eat 3 oz of protien at each meal. He despises the shakes because he feels they do not fill you up like food does and the band isn't meant to be a liquid diet once you are on solids. Of course this is just his opinion but one I adhered to with great success.

That's what I'm doing now Terry, but I'm curious about the next phase. The shakes make it easy to get enough Protein, but I've been reading the threads tonight about how you should avoid the Protein Shakes once you're on solids and it got me to wondering how you veterans get in enough protein.

Steph - I am the same as Terry. I eat meat at every meal and 3oz packs quite a bit of Protein. I don't have a fill either so I can tolerate any meat too. So far I haven't had an issue getting my protein in.

This is the fun part, my Dr. pretty much told me to get used to starting the day with Protein shakes since the band is normally tighter in the mornings. All of his staff are banded, and they all drink them in the morning. With this said, I am in the mushie phase and I got 102 grams of Protein yesterday from eggs, cottage cheese, skim milk and chile verde (pork).

And no, I am not a veteran :lol: but it isn't going to be that hard on solids

I eat Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese, meats and since I love cheese and refuse to give it up, I keep Laughing Cow around. I really like the Mini Babybel Light. You can also get unflavored Protein Powder (I use Unjury) and mix that into things like Jello, puddngs, broth Hot Drinks, etc.

I found a Protein Drink at Walmart that I mix with my Water. It has 42 grams of Protein. Comes in Grape, Watermelon and fruit flavors. It is 180 calories. I mix it in 32 oz of water so Im getting water and protein in one. I also eat cottage cheese and meat and or fish.

Egg whites a lot of Protein & low cal, tuna with chopped egg whites. Hamburger patty, steam shrimp, steak, lots of chicken. If I'm on the run and need something quick I will grab a Cliff Protein Bar at 20 grs. Between meals if I need a snack, greek key lime yogurt, ff cottage cheese .

I really don't have a problem with getting protein in, but it does take planning.

I eat half cup meals 3 times a day packed with Proteins. Chilii with meats and Beans, fish including tuna, chicken eggs etc. I get between 60 and 70 grams a day. I do a lot of planning and researching recipes. You can do it. It is a process and the more you learn the better you will get.

I found a Protein drink at Walmart that I mix with my Water. It has 42 grams of protein. Comes in Grape' date=' Watermelon and fruit flavors. It is 180 calories. I mix it in 32 oz of water so Im getting water and protein in one. I also eat cottage cheese and meat and or fish.[/quote']

Are these the shots. If so I was told by nutritionist that it is not good protein and your body does not absorb as much as you think. I have seen others post same info.

I eat Greek Yogurt' date=' cottage cheese, meats and since I love cheese and refuse to give it up, I keep Laughing Cow around. I really like the Mini Babybel Light. You can also get unflavored Protein powder (I use Unjury) and mix that into things like Jello, puddngs, broth hot drinks, etc.[/quote']

How is Unjury? I've heard mixed reviews. Does it change the consistency of certain foods?

I agree that most your Protein should come in your food but drinking Water with protein can only help. It is called New Whey Liquid Protein. The nutritionalist said it should have Protein Isolate in the ingredients, which this does. Its 13.99 for a box of 6. Watermelon is the best.