Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leave denied by work

Follow up drs appts for in which the condition you applied for fmla are covered. I actually fill out this paperwork all the time in my doctors office. No different that having knee replacement and following up with an appt when ur back to work. It says on paperwork will patient require future visits and how often. If the papers are filled out correct shld be no problem.

If she already had FMLA in place to cover the initial surgery then she could've possibly got some of the follow up appointments covered. But, she didn't, and fills aren't considered "serious health conditions" so they wouldn't have to cover them.

I might also add that FMLA time isn't paid. It grants you up to 12 weeks of unpaid time per year. So, even if you do get it covered, by law they do not have to pay you for the time off. They only have to guarantee your job still be there when you return. (and actually, they don't have to guarantee your exact job even, only one of equal status and pay)

Because of this, I personally would rather take the day off as a paid personal day without dealing with all FMLA stuff.

I totally agree with ya Mis however they are not allowing her to do so. I was simply throwing the suggestion of fmla out there. She also stated drs appt wasn't sure if that was for a fill or follow up. Yvonne best of luck with your situation and I hope you have a good visit whenever you can get there !!

I'm confused. Why did you put appointment off for two months when there was a school break late December? Did you have Martin Luther King Jr Day off? I did but the dr office was open. I understand having your own kids maybe December break and the 3 day weekend are harder to go.

It's hard juggling health, work and family. I don't put work before my family or job, but I do try to balance everything. It's so hard. When you go to this appointment, can you take your school calendar with you? I open it up when I book appointments and try to make it on days off from work if possible. If you book the next 3 appointments well in advance, maybe you can get them on school closings.

I would reschedule for a day that fits with what your principal told you in the fall. You were told this wasn't acceptable months ago. Since your work calendar is pretty much set in stone, it should be easy to know which days are ok to miss and which aren't. I wonder if you have organizational issues, or are in a power struggle with your principal?

I'm confused. Why did you put appointment off for two months when there was a school break late December? Did you have Martin Luther King Jr Day off? I did but the dr office was open. I understand having your own kids maybe December break and the 3 day weekend are harder to go.

It's hard juggling health, work and family. I don't put work before my family or job, but I do try to balance everything. It's so hard. When you go to this appointment, can you take your school calendar with you? I open it up when I book appointments and try to make it on days off from work if possible. If you book the next 3 appointments well in advance, maybe you can get them on school closings.

I put it off b/c we had testing at school, report cards, parent conference days, etc. I had an appt for over my break but they cancelled then I went on vacation for Christmas. Then MLK day, they cancelled on me again. My Dr's office is in San Antonio, I work/live 3 hours away. I don't have any family here to watch my kids for me to just up and go to the appts. My husband is overseas working. I have to schedule them only at certain times so I can drop kids off/pick up from school on time. Unless, I want to keep them out of school once a month for appts. and they can go with me. My Dr only has office hours half days (mornings) on Mondays/Fridays (for surgery). Plus my district has half days (1-2 times per month) for PD days which also cuts down on when "I'm allowed to take off".. We have PLC days on Thursdays and grade level meetings on Tuesdays (which she has said we can't take off for) so when does that leave me to take off for Dr appts? very little times.

I would reschedule for a day that fits with what your principal told you in the fall. You were told this wasn't acceptable months ago. Since your work calendar is pretty much set in stone' date=' it should be easy to know which days are ok to miss and which aren't. I wonder if you have organizational issues, or are in a power struggle with your principal?[/quote']

Just a little harsh maybe you could have private messages her with that one

Going by her original post, it's appropriate, her later posts clarified the situation a bit...still not a good idea to go toe to toe with ones boss.

Not a power struggle.. I'm our grade level employee advocate and our campus employee advocate for the district so I do communicate with our principal on a regular basis about issues that come up. But I've never tried going against what she has said or requested. I've always put work in front of my family and health. I don't abuse the system. I've always been a rule follower. This one time, I think that I shouldn't be missing instruction time and testing. I was thinking I am putting my classroom children's needs first.

So according to my principal, I can't miss "special days" but those special days are Tues/Weds (planning days), Thurs for PLCs and then the 1-2 times a month for PD days. We've never had this many PD days scheduled where the kids are out. This is something new for us.

My follow-up appointments are covered under my FMLA, as my doctor said I would need them following surgery which was for a serious health condition (morbid obesity). I would talk to your HR department. Good luck!

I am a teacher as well and understand your struggle. I think it is best to try to schedule appointments on professional development days so your absence doesn't impact your students. But to be honest, if I was in your situation I would reschedule the appointment for another day. I you are out, they have to find someone to cover your classes, right? I would not go against the principal in this case. I am curious though if you are a part of a union....if so, what do they say?

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

They said I could fight it since it was/is a medical issue. They did say they couldn't get the paperwork filed to help me out for Monday but could file it for future appts. I'm leaning towards calling my Dr's office on Monday, telling them whats going on and seeing if I can get some letter from them stating that my appts are medically necessary. (Morbidly obese, high blood pressure, diabetes which is under control since surgery, etc)

I don't want this issue anymore. I already feel guilty when I do take off, but to make me feel guilty for trying to take care of my family or myself, I don't like. I just don't like being made to feel like I'm a criminal especially when I've done nothing wrong other than want to take care of me.

I think you really need to ask yourself if it is really worth it. To me, it wouldn't be. To you it may be. I would think you would be sticking it to them more by taking a day on another day. Try thinking about what is best for you and your family, not what is best for your class. Is fighting with your principal really worth it, especially since she said no days off for professional days in September? Just my humble opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Yvonne. I work in a Level 1 Trama hospital an its the same here with takinv time off. So if 1) its for a fill reschedule no biggie 2) FMLA does cover you for this especially if you have any co-morbidities. Its the FMLA thats called specifically Intermitent FMLA and 3) here in Mass. we also have a small neccessities act which is for fulltime workers to be able to get a day off for dr appts or for a childs school appt an such.

So at the end of the day it just depends on how far you want to take this an remember there is always repercussions to our decisions.

Good luck

If you used FMLA for your surgery then a follow up appointment MAY be covered if they don't want to get picky. But the more obvious question... Is it possible for you to get a dr who isn't 3 hrs away? Then you could go on your lunch hour or before or after work....