Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love my band, my GI doc thinks it just aggravated a preexisting condition. I don't love how I feel right now.

I have actually been hanging around this site for awhile, reading up on things as a non-subscribed user, but after stumbling across your post I felt like it was time for me to join and post a comment :)

You mentioned your vagus nerve (funny how this ONE thing controls practically everything!) - my husband has what is called (or had, depending on how you look at it) "Vaso-Vagel Syncope." His only episode occurred when he was at work and gagged on a chug of carbonated beverage - this caused him to feint (from a sitting position). After numerous tests (everyone originally thought he may have had a seizure) we finally got an answer. As it turns out, this is the most common form of syncope - but goes largely unreported (people who feint at the sight of blood, needles etc have the same issue - which my husband does as well). Everyone has different triggers and all you can do really is avoid your triggers.

So yes, I can completely understand how something like what you are describing can cause your problems. I know you didn't mention any feinting - but that's just one of the possible outcomes for that sort of pressure on your vagus nerve (pressure can be stress, like the sight of blood, or physical, like your band or my husband swallowing). I'm really sorry that this given you issues with your band - but I suppose it's good that you are getting this answers and figuring this out now rather than years down the road if your situation became critical.

I think what some people don't understand that while this problem is not *caused* by the band - it's definitely made worse by it. And I think that, and a lack of understanding on what your problem actually is, is where the tension is coming from. It sounds like you were experiencing mild symptoms for years but didn't know it (the constant constipation). I would even go so far as to suspect that if your doctors knew, they wouldn't have suggested the band in the first place.

Well, anyways - I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope you are able to get some relief! Maybe now that they are able to tie everything together you will have a better way to manage your bowel movements too! Take care!

Thank you for your kind words. People don't understand body mechanics very well and some of them work in the medical field, lol. I was Dx with IBSd many years ago. Until 18 months ago, I would still have alternating bouts of Constipation and diarrhea on a 7 to 10 day rotation. I've used Probiotics, Fiber supplements to manage this. Now I have IBSc, and yesterday my gastroenterologist Dx me with gastroparesis and the gastric emptying test is to determine the severity.

The palpitations I get while eating solid foods are disturbing. The abdominal distention, pain, reflux, regurgitation and vomiting are truly affecting my life in a very negative way. I'm retired...my husband and I wanted to go to AZ this winter, get out of the cold, but we can't, because of this condition and the unknowns. I've been following a band food plan all along, yesterday the doctor told me I need to eat a soft, low residue, low Fiber diet. I need to eat 6 times a day, half my normal amount at each meal. I'm on another new drug :-/ with a huge copay, that may or may not work.

The questioning of my decisions about my healthcare (timing, why I didn't see my band doctor, etc) were really disheartening and unsupportive. There isn't enough room in one post to list every conversation, office visit, diagnostic test, etc. I'm pretty experienced and knowledgeable (according to my care providers) and tend to seek help earlier, rather than later. I have friends who are doctors, PAs, nurses as resources, as well. I chose to see my gastroenterologist because he wasn't affiliated with my band doctor and I needed a trusted 2nd opinion about whether to remove my band. My GI doc is adamant that I have no surgery unless absolutely necessary, since additional abdominal surgery will exacerbate my motility disorder.

When I posted this, I did receive many supportive comments and I appreciate that. It's really hard to see people take the position that somehow, someway, anyone who has a complication with their band must be non-compliant. That is just so judgemental. People who are suffering, need compassion.

Thank you again for your kind post. I hope your husband's condition is manageable...best of luck to you both!

Thank you again for your kind post. I hope your husband's condition is manageable...best of luck to you both!

You're welcome! And thank you! He's doing great and is perfectly fine now - he hasn't had another episode of the gagging/feinting thankfully, and is learning to stop looking when he gets a shot or they do a blood draw!! Silly man.

I also learned recently that a lot of people who have a fear of needles aren't afraid of needles per se, but that they know they are going to feint. My hubby of course isn't scared of needles (like I am haha), but feints during routine blood draws when he watches. He almost passed out recently when I had an Iron infusion and he was watching the nurse put in my IV - she had been having trouble getting it in, and when she finally got it, there was a gush of blood that made my delicate flower of a husband have to sit down lol

You're welcome! And thank you! He's doing great and is perfectly fine now - he hasn't had another episode of the gagging/feinting thankfully, and is learning to stop looking when he gets a shot or they do a blood draw!! Silly man.

I also learned recently that a lot of people who have a fear of needles aren't afraid of needles per se, but that they know they are going to feint. My hubby of course isn't scared of needles (like I am haha), but feints during routine blood draws when he watches. He almost passed out recently when I had an Iron infusion and he was watching the nurse put in my IV - she had been having trouble getting it in, and when she finally got it, there was a gush of blood that made my delicate flower of a husband have to sit down lol

Is he a redhead by chance? I've heard they are more sensitive to trauma...

Is he a redhead by chance? I've heard they are more sensitive to trauma...

Nope! He's very dark hair, olive skin tone. Muscular build too. Just one of those weird things about his body! Guess it just happens to some people. :)

I don't think anyone would call your post band bashing. You simply shared your experience' date=' that is very different than the people who get on here and howl "oh the band is horrible and should be taken off the market!".

I think your story is very informative and good information to know. It makes sense, too. At least to me anyway. I have very large hernias. I've had problems with them reoccurring since a botched child birth destroying my abdominal walls in 2002. I've had 3 surgeries and just had an emergency surgery for one that became strangulated in August.

I notice a very direct connection between my band tightness and my bowels. When I'm clogged up or the hernias are sore and I can feel stuff slowing down through the weak spots, I find eating difficult. Like you, once everything moves through, I can eat normally and problem free again.

I think it's just another reminder that sometimes things way beyond our control do happen. I suppose it's simply a risk we all take when deciding not only to have Lap Band but any WLS.

Best wishes to you and I hope the rest of your journey finds you healthy[/quote']

What kind of symptoms you had related with the hernia???

MsMaui thank you for posting your story. I think its important for people to know what kind of experiences are out there. Some complications are because of the band, some are exacerbated by the band, and some have nothing to do with the band.

It's not clear from your initial post where you were coming from with respect to the above three purposes for posting about complications. it may have been helpful if you included that.

I noticed the same thing in your other thread about "Thinking Of Revising to VSG good info". The point of the post was vague and it is natural to think the worst when the poster doesn't clarify. It came across as misleading and possibly deliberate.

As far as your problems, that's just awful and I'm sorry you've dealt with it this long. And I'm sorry you're losing your band but it doesn't sound like it is compatible long term with your existing conditions. I hope VSG or whatever you choose is a better solution and this stops being a negativ issue in your life. There's too much great stuff to experience without being hindered by pain or even Internet arguments. Best wishes.

What kind of symptoms you had related with the hernia???

Well currently, they're very visible and stick out of my abdomen. Initially though you couldn't see them but I had a burning, almost pulled muscle feeling where the tear in the muscle (hernia) occurred. But now they've grown (as they almost always do) so it's VERY noticeable.

Some days I have no symptoms, others I can tell food is getting hung up in the intestines around the hernia. I will get a lot of cramping and localized pain until the food passes. I find laying on my stomach actually helps push the abdominal contents back in and ease the pain.

This past August I had one become strangulated and had to have emergency surgery. When that happened I knew it because it was a blinding, searing and unrelenting pain.

My surgeon is watching me closely. He's getting very anxious to fix them but because I'm having it done the same time as a Tummy Tuck, he agreed to wait a little bit longer as long as there's no signs of another strangulation.

I noticed the same thing in your other thread about "Thinking Of Revising to VSG good info". The point of the post was vague and it is natural to think the worst when the poster doesn't clarify. It came across as misleading and possibly deliberate.

On the post with info re VSG, it was just that, information. It would be relevant to someone having complications of banding and since it is the only other purely restrictive WLS, the info might be a resource for those people. It was posted on the complications forum, so I thought it was appropriate. I'm not sure how peer reviewed information on quality of life following weight loss surgery could be interpreted as misleading, if you assume someone would be reading that forum and exploring their options. I also like to assume that the person reading what I post will take the info as such and use it in whatever way benefits them, or ask questions if they're confused.

As I've said, I'm not giving up on my band unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I was Dx with gastroparesis this week, having more tests to determine the severity and if band removal will help or hurt the situation,

I appreciate your feedback and hope my explanation helps you to understand that I'm here for the same reasons as most. I need support, I have experience to share and I'm here to support the lapband community regardless of my current health issues.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and for the good wishes :)