Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2013 Bandsters Unite

January 31st surgery right here!!!! Starting to get super nervous.

Hi Becks...I'm 1 day ahead of you. Keep reading the different threads here on LBT...you'll find comfort in those who are already banded.

Congratulations! :rolleyes:

I am so frustrated and mad, I need some help and support from someone going thru this process too.

I started my journey 8 months ago. In order to get approval from my insurance I had to go thru 6 months of supervised nutrition. I was ok with that. At the end of the 6 months, they scheduled my surgey. Then my psyc eval came back and I was denied because the guy said I was too depressed and nervous. I then got approval because I have been treating with another doctor for my depression (and who isn't a little depressed when you are so far over weight). Anyway, I got approval for another surgery date for January 11th. When I got home from work last night the hospital had left a message that said my surgeon wanted to take the 11th off and that they were rescheduling my suregery date AGAIN for the 17th. This was on a Friday evening too so I couldn't call them back and talk to anyone.

The hospital is wanting my copay up front before I have my surgery because it is elective surgery. I don't know whether to cry or scream. I don't think they are taking me into consideration here. Not only is this physically exhausting but mentally. I have started my pre-op diet twice now and through the holidays to boot.

I am almost to the point of just saying the heck with it all. I have thought about consulting another hospital and doctor or at least asking for a different surgeon. I have had to go for 2 EKGs and blood work already because of the time period of the surgery dates.

I would really like someone else's oppinion and thoughts on this. PLEASE HELP!! :(

A delay is not a denial. Hold on and hang on. The devil seems to be real busy right now, BUT you can't let him win.

There is some reason you aren't suppose to have surgery on the 11th...and not just because your surgeon "wanted to take off!"

I know it's frustrating, but don't give up now! Just think...you're blessed beyond measure because some people don't even know about the lapband and are still suffering, struggling with their weight issues.

Those times you've started the pre-op...did you loose any pounds? I'm sure you did. You're just getting a jump on dropping the weight and learning to say, "NO!" It's a liftstyle journery we're embarking on...embrace it and use it to your good!

I'll be praying for you to stay encouraged! Blessings! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would really like someone else's oppinion and thoughts on this. PLEASE HELP!! :(

Haven't had the problem of my surgery rescheduled but I kept telling the financial person at the clinic that I couldn't have the surgery before Christmas. I was traveling by car 8 hours each way to be at my brother's in Arizona. Even though he was told this 3 times, he still kept calling wanting to schedule the surgery. I finally told him I wouldn't do it since I didn't think it would be safe to be in a car right after surgery and if I needed to do it, I would personally call the insurance company and explain the situation and get the approval for a later surgery. Guess what! The insurance company had absolutely no problem with the delay since it will only be about 3 weeks later. Hang in there. Now is not the time ti give up. We will all support you through this. Just vent to us.

My date is 1/28 and the only prep diet I have is liquids only 3 days prior. What does. Everyone else have to do and why do we have to do this, does anyone know?? Also has anyone found a Protein Shake they like, I've tried so many and they all make me gag and or puke... The only thing I can manage is sugar free carnation instant Breakfast :( any suggestions?

It's so frustrating believe me I know. I began my process two years ago only to be denied by insurance because as they said "I gained weight on purpose". I'm 26 and went as far to contact my pediatrician to provide documents of weight struggles since I was 8 and the medical noted I need for weight watchers numerous times because I was so young going to weight watchers. Yet I purposely gained weight..... I gave up. Being a person who does struggle from depression and a panic disorder I tell u this with my every being..... Do not give up this fight is worth it... I did my insurance required 6 month diet figuring the time will pass anyway so why not? Low and behold this time I was approved.. Surgery is the 28th and I can't believe it... My advice is to continue w supervised diet and seek another doctor for the psych eval. Being nervous is normal and if u are depressed the. U do need to address that, but I have depression am on depression meds as well as anxiety meds and I'm good to go. You are worth it this is worth it...

Keep going, seems as though the issue is w insurance. And why would u pay for copay if surgery isn't guaranteed that's a no go.... Stay strong

Also, the hospital I will be having my surgery in told me that the ECG , blood test and upper gi X-ray have to been done 10 days prior to surgery so maybe that's why uve had to do it twice.... Stay strong

I have to be on a two week diet that consists of, 2 Protein shakes, 1 cup of cottage cheese, 3 cups of raw vegtables, and a can of progresso light Soup.

I have made it thru 1 week twice when they have called and stopped me and said I have to wait, they have changed my surgery date for the third time now.

I use EASvantage shakes (premixed); dark fudge chocolate is my favorite so far, if I had to choose. They taste like the carnation instant Breakfast to me.

My date is 1/28 and the only prep diet I have is liquids only 3 days prior. What does. Everyone else have to do and why do we have to do this, does anyone know?? Also has anyone found a Protein Shake they like, I've tried so many and they all make me gag and or puke... The only thing I can manage is sugar free carnation instant Breakfast :( any suggestions?

Hi Betsy...I'm on a mostly liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery. I'm allowed slimfast and glucerna shakes and have tried all the slimfast and they are pretty good. so is the chocolate glucerna. I'm starting to gag on the low sodium broth with veggies...switched to broccoli to see if that helps. the green Beans and cauliflower are making my stomach turn after a week. I wish I only had to do the diet for three days instead of two weeks.

Yay! Just got called from the hospital, I have to be at the hospital at Monday 6:30 surgery is 8:00.

I am so excited and can't wait.

Hi Moses...good luck to you. you asked who my surgeon was since we are both doing this at NYU and I wrote back Dr. Ren-Fielding. Who is doing your surgery?

Hi Moses...good luck to you. you asked who my surgeon was since we are both doing this at NYU and I wrote back Dr. Ren-Fielding. Who is doing your surgery?

Hi

How are you, my surgeon is Dr. George Fielding, this team is the best team

Hi

How are you, my surgeon is Dr. George Fielding, this team is the best team

yeah..it was a tossup for me..her or him. I went with her because I know someone else who used her and was happy with her. Please keep me posted on the experience and how you are doing once you can come back online. Also...are you staying overnight or going home the same day? I've been told to stay overnight but I haven't cleared it with the office or Nilsa yet.

The Optifast shakes are pretty good

yeah..it was a tossup for me..her or him. I went with her because I know someone else who used her and was happy with her. Please keep me posted on the experience and how you are doing once you can come back online. Also...are you staying overnight or going home the same day? I've been told to stay overnight but I haven't cleared it with the office or Nilsa yet.

I was told I go home once I can swallow liquid, my sister did by Ren and a couple close friends did by George both are great so it is nothing to worry, when is your surgery

I was told I go home once I can swallow liquid, my sister did by Ren and a couple close friends did by George both are great so it is nothing to worry, when is your surgery

a week after you...on the 14th.