Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

? conveting from band to sleeve - has anyone at or near goal weight done this?

I revised from the band to the sleeve last year. I wrote about my experience on a thread yesterday:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/163124-help-guys-band-or-sleeve-im-scheduled-for-band-feb1/

I had been at my goal weight for just over 4 years when my band was removed. I have excellent insurance, and it paid for my band removal in April 2012 and for my sleeve surgery in August 2012 because my surgeon's amazing insurance coordinator was able to use her skills and my medical records to prove that the surgeries were medically necessary. So if your band troubles have been well-documented (and surely a band slip and removal were well-documented), it's possible that your insurance will cover your sleeve even if you're no longer obese.

Although I don't love my sleeve like I loved my band, I strongly believe that revision was the right thing for me to do because I knew I needed a surgical tool for lifetime weight management. I regained 30 lbs in the short time I was trying to wing it on my own. That is really scary, because I wasn't pigging out and eating stupid stuff (most of the time, anyway), and I was still exercising and generally a lot more active than I was when I was obese. Obesity is caused by our conscious eating behavior but also by factors that are outside our conscious control, like genetics, neurological and hormonal dysfunction, etc. etc. So however we lose weight (with or without WLS), weight management is a lifetime project.

As for losing too much weight - I haven't seen that happen to a sleeve patient except for a friend who revised to the sleeve when she was at her goal weight, and then lost another 20 lbs she didn't need to lose. But part of her problem was the formation of strictures that made it hard for her to even drink Clear liquids, never mind eat real food. She had the strictures dilated and is doing much better now. Also, although the sleeve has micronutrient malabsorption, it doesn't (as far as we know) involve the macronutrient malabsorption that makes it so some calories consumed "don't count". If you can't eat much at one time, you can keep your calorie intake where it needs to be by adding healthy Snacks to your day. You might need to work with a nutritionist to do that effectively. I lost weight quickly after my sleeve surgery, so that for a while there I wondered if I was going to be able to stop losing weight, but my weight loss slowed because I was able to eat more (a normal consequence of the healing process) and because I was getting lighter so I needed fewer calories. I haven't lost any more weight in 3 weeks so I think I'm where I need to be.

Good luck!

Wow, Jean, I read your post from yesterday and then today's and wow! You've had quite the experience. I have "Bandwagon" and count it as one of my best resources for the band. I've loaned it to a few people who are considering the band based on my weight loss success. I've recommended it to others who have the band and have struggled. Thank you for your honesty. You're right, 5 months out may be too soon to say whether you love the sleeve or not. I love my band too and I haven't quite reconciled that I'm going to lose it. Knowing that I have to wait for a period of time before I can do anything else has motivated me to do what I can to prevent unnecessary weight gain. I've already gained 30 pounds over this last year so I can't let this go. I'm worried BUT proactive.

I just wanted to say how grateful I am for having this board and being able to share the "not always positive" experiences we've had with our lapbands and other WLS. I'm on a few other online forums but they're mostly for folks thinking about the band or new bandsters and it doesn't feel like the appropriate place to talk about my troubles. I'm happy for this place, to be able to read what others have gone (or going) through, to ask my questions and to share my experiences. I would feel pretty isolated without it so I am grateful!

Thank you so much for posting ladies. I have to agree that this site can be a real life line. I'm really hopeful that my insurance will cover the conversion. I've decided to go back and work with the nutritionist and psychologist. Since I have to wait 3 months anyway, I might as well work with them - both for insurance and to see if I really am at the point that I don't need another WLS. I have to admitt that without the Band, it is a lot more work to keep up with food - weighing - measureing, documenting ect. In some ways, I had gotten to the point where I just didn't need to think about food because I could only put so much in at one time. I'm curious what you aren't loving with the sleeve.

Mary

Wow, Jean, I read your post from yesterday and then today's and wow! You've had quite the experience. I have "Bandwagon" and count it as one of my best resources for the band. I've loaned it to a few people who are considering the band based on my weight loss success. I've recommended it to others who have the band and have struggled. Thank you for your honesty. You're right, 5 months out may be too soon to say whether you love the sleeve or not. I love my band too and I haven't quite reconciled that I'm going to lose it. Knowing that I have to wait for a period of time before I can do anything else has motivated me to do what I can to prevent unnecessary weight gain. I've already gained 30 pounds over this last year so I can't let this go. I'm worried BUT proactive.

I completely understand why you're worried, but try not to let it take over your life, because anxiety tends to send us to the refrigerator (or bakery, or McDonalds). On the other hand, if you can use the worry to fuel your healthy eating commitment, it can work to your advantage.

Thanks for telling others about Bandwagon!

Jean

Thank you so much for posting ladies. I have to agree that this site can be a real life line. I'm really hopeful that my insurance will cover the conversion. I've decided to go back and work with the nutritionist and psychologist. Since I have to wait 3 months anyway, I might as well work with them - both for insurance and to see if I really am at the point that I don't need another WLS. I have to admitt that without the Band, it is a lot more work to keep up with food - weighing - measureing, documenting ect. In some ways, I had gotten to the point where I just didn't need to think about food because I could only put so much in at one time. I'm curious what you aren't loving with the sleeve.

Mary

You're wise to put those 3 months of waiting to good use. it can only help you in the long run.

As for why I'm not loving my sleeve, read the post I made on a different thread (see the link I posted above), and then if you still have questions, let me know.

I was banded four years ago and my band and I both quit on each other. I was thinking of converting to sleeve but have to wait for insurance approval. In the mean time, My new Dr. says to work with the band some more and try to get back on track with it. So that's what we're going to do. He gave me a little fill and I am to start back to eating right with smaller portions. I started yesterday and so far so good. I even went to the gym this morning.

Ebonymc, I think that's sound. I would do anything to make my band work for me before I would want to try another surgery. Your surgical options are limited and permanent. If you try everything and it doesn't work, then you'll be better prepared to make your decision.

Well, I'm hoping that giving my band another chance will make a difference. So far in the past few days it has. I'm trying hard with my diet and getting in my exercise. I have lost 5 lbs and starting to get motivated again. I know it's too soon to talk, but I feel that's a good start. Thanks for the encouragement.

That's awesome, it sounds like you're on the right track. It is a process and the band can be fickle but I think it's a great tool! Keep up the good work!