Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NC Intro Thread...

I moved back to Greensboro NC a year ago from Seattle Washington. I enjoy the sunshine and beautiful piedmont landscape, but i miss my lapband support group and clinic in the Northwest. Are there any LapBand support groups in central Carolina?

I am Mom to 4 grown kids (3 boys and a girl), a retired nurse practitioner, and i moved back here after a divorce to help out my aging parents. All four kids were home for the holidays which was wonderful. One of my Christmas presents was Molly the dog, a Bassett- Dashud mix rescued from shelter.

I have had trouble with my weight since moving back to the south....damn that country ham and biscuits!!! :hungry: I've started moving more - walking, biking, kayaking and enjoy being outdoors on nice days. Hope to correspond and or meet with some of you soon.

Linda M

56 y/o

325 - 315 banded 11/06 - reached 268 before move - now 278....

Welcome Linda M - We are glad to have you back in the NC area. There is a group of Charlotte girls that get together monthly. Our next meeting is Feb 3rd at Red Robin on Harris Blvld. It's right off 85. You will find more info another site that we all chat on everyday... it's band2gether.net please join us over there we would love to know more about you and be there as your support system here.

Again Welcome!!!!

Hi Luciana,

I just wanted to check in on you. I believe your surgery date is near. I am presently in Georgia, but will return home soon in NC.

Yes food will get stuck and it will be somewhat painful as it tries and goes down. You will soon learn to recognize that you are eating probably too large an amount, too fast, or a food item that doesn't go down easily, such as breads. Usually you will just go and spit the item out or vomit. Often I think before we are banded we visualize the vomiting as retching, but I haven't really experienced anything like that. I know when I need to get up and excuse myself to unclog the pipes, as my husband says. You learn quickly when to recognize the things that cause that reaction, so you can avoid making the same mistake.

Most people fear if they will have time to react to the food that is stuck. and the answer for me is yes, I have time to excuse myself, when necessary.

I found that if I remind myself to put the fork down after every bite and chew, I rarely have problems. I also found that if I am conversing with someone while eating, I have to remember to focus on how much and how fast I am eating. I remind myself to not drink before or during the meal, so as not to fill up the stomach. I have been able to take small sips of liquid, but I am talking very small sips of Water, at the beginning or end of a meal. That works for me not necessarily for everyone else.

I never feel like I am choking just like something is stuck. Maybe you relate that to choking. But I don't feel like the food cannot be removed or heimlich essential.

I have had my depressing moments, especially at being such a slow loser. I keep telling myself that the scale is not going up and every pound is better than at the place I was at before. Exercising is a big help, so I am trying to get a routine going.

Hope you will do well. We all made this decision because we want to change, and hopefully this procedure will give us all the jump start we need.

Good Luck!

Vickie in Morrisville, NC

Hey I am Lauri-Ann I was banded on 1/24. I grew up in concord. I went to Northwest Cab. and my mother worked at concord High until she retired a few years ago. I have 4 children 20, 18,4, and 3! I live in stanly county now.

glad you are doing well.

Welcome Lauri-Ann and Vickie and everyone else.

We have a large group that meets monthly in the Charlotte area. We will be meeting this Saturday Feb 3rd I will post another thread about it hopefully you all can join us.

Hi everyone - Another newbie to this site here. . .I was actually banded on 9/24/2005 in Dallas TX, Moved to Raleigh, NC this September and well I still have not found a doctor here and realize I need some help, especially support wise . . .I would love to know if any doctors here has the xray and barium swallow as their fill procedure? I am scared to not use that as the procedure as I am self pay with no insurance and I know I will not be overfilled that way. . .I also would love to meet with people, even small groups. I need to get back on track, been sort of stopped for a while with my weight loss. Hope to hear from y'all . . Fern

HI Fern,

I am not sure I can answer you questions directly but perhaps point you to the best known doctors in your area that are doing lap-bands and perhaps you can contact their offices. My advice is to contact either Dr. Moran or Dr.Enochs in the Raleigh area. There are others on the other board (http://www.band2gether.net/showthread.php?t=1727) who might talk to you more of their services; like Cathy or CarolinaGirl. I wish you well and let us know.

Hello all . . .I am currently working through all insurance stuff. Just waiting on an answer with that so we can schedule a surgery date. I am very excited to start this new chapter in my life. I currently live in Charlotte, NC with my husband of 4 years, Kevin. We don't have any children yet, (one of the reasons I am getting banded is to loose weight to have a healthy pregnacy in the future) I'm so glad to find such a great place to talk to others about the band.

Stacey

Hello - My name is Melissa - I live in Columbus, NC - going to Tijuana Mexico, April 17th for my lap band. Gong to Bajanor Obesity Clinic - I am 36yo, 5'2",262 pounds. I have a lot of health problems and have had numberous surgeries over the years. Lots of metabolism testing and my Rhuemotoid md thought this was one of the best things I could do. So we are using our Equity Loan and biting the bullet!!! Started my liquid diet last night and so far so good. Can anyone advise a good fill md in NC? I had planned on flying back and forth to Mexico - but don't think that is cost effective.

Hey Melissa. I'm in Charlotte, I am not sure where Columbus is, but I use Dr. Vollenger with Southeast Bariatrics. I have my surgery with him Monday morning. I really like him and the rest of his staff. I wish you luck with your surgery. There is a larger group of NCers on the other board, band2gether.net. Please join us there. We also get together once a month for lunch, our next lunch is next Saturday.

I like my doctor, but he is in Cary, NC. I'm not sure how far Columbus is. His name is Dr. Enochs.

Hi it's been awhile since I last posted but Kathy you are right, I am up to 3cc's and I have started losing more weight. I am at a 30 pound lost since my surgery back in May. It is coming off slowly but I seem to average about 2 pounds a month or so. I have just started a Water aerobics class (yes I finally bit the bullet and purchased the most covering bathing suit I could find). I am enjoying the class and relating to my fellow classmates which all have similar weight issues as myself. This is helpful and the exercise doesn't cause the joint pain I usually feel from non water exercises. It's two days a week and I hope to increase that by four days eventually. So life goes on and I am staying optimistic! Hope the best of days for all of you. Still love the band!

I live in wilmington and am interested in the lap band because it not as invasive as the rny. what kind of weight lose can I expect once having the procedure? I am trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I spring this on my husband (skinny man himself). He thinks that all anyone needs to do is diet and excercise to lose weight. Please advise soon. I go monday to fill out my "pre-consultation" paperwork.

Hello, I am also in Asheville. However, I am originally from Richmond VA and I commute there several times a month. I am scheduled to have my surgery on April 19th in Richmond. I chose not to have it a Mission Hospital because of their silly requirements.

Hey there! I have experience with a husband like yours. I would say that the most important thing for you to do is truly believe that obesity is a disease and you must treat it. If you had cancer would you even think twice about treating it? I had lap-band August 2006. I've lost 56 lbs. I felt better within two weeks of the surgery(which was out-patient) I'm 5'5 and had surgery at 270 lbs. Statistically without surgery most people have little chance of losing 100+ lbs. Believe in yourself, and your husband will come around! Good luck- Elizabeth