Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"shafted" in Texas .... be careful !!!

I want to send a cautionary message to anyone considering the Lap Band surgery with Dr. Bryce at LoneStar LapBand in DFW, TX. I was scheduled to have my life changing surgery on March 27, 2006. Four days before my surgery, I am told that the surgery would cost $6000.00 more than I was told it would, and i don't HAVE an extra $6000.00 under my mattress !!! It dates back to January when Dr. Bryce told me he would combine another surgery I needed so my insurance would pay all hospital fees and I would only be responsible for his $7500.00 fee. He now denies telling me that of course, but where else would I get that dollar amount from if he didn't tell me himself? I never spoke with anyone else at the office about money until this problem came up?? I went to all the appointments they scheduled me for, did everything i was told to do, bought all of their diet shakes, Soups and everything needed for after the surgery ... and not once did anyone sit me down and go over money or costs or insurance ... nothing. I had another consultation with Dr. Bryce, which I paid $215.00 for, and he once again told me the same story, that the insurance would pay all hospital associated costs and I would be responsible for the $7500.00. He now states that the hospital must have changed their policy since he last talked to them??? My biggest problem here is the lack of accountability on Dr. Bryce's part. I was told he was a good, compassionate man and that he would do what he could to help me out since I was given the wrong information yet he refuses to do anything but offer a "sorry" via e-mail through his office personnel. And Lisa, his officer manager who has really been stuck in the middle and is a wonderful person, had to e-mail me with the news because Dr. Bryce wouldn't even call me himself. I truly believe what Dr. Bryce has done is morally and ethically wrong and it doesn't seem to bother him at all ? And he has HAD the surgery himself, you would think he would understand the dissapointment at being "shafted" FOUR days before the scheduled surgery. Ok, well now i'm just venting and my point here is .... be careful. Get everything in writing. Don't wait until you've suffered through the liquid diet and spent hundreds of dollars on pre-op visits ... verify everything in advance.

Anyway, after countless consultations and nutritionist appointments, hundreds of dollars spent, 10 days on a liquid diet and a lost week of vacation, Dr. Bryce told me that I "had gotten the shaft" but there was nothing he would do to help me. I can't even begin to describe the absolute devastation and dissapointment of getting so close to changing your whole life and have it all taken away so easily.

Hi Kimi...I cannot imagine what you are feeling and sorry for what you have gone through. When something like that happens I tell myself it was for the best. For SOME reason God had other plans for you. Even witht he same doc on down the road that was day you were not to have surgery. It is the only way I can feel better in certain situations is to think like that. Keep your chin up and dont give up. I am still trying to get mine financed and go to Mexico and am not giving up till I do!

Oh Kimi, I don't know what to say. I feel so bad for you. Honestly I know how you feel. My original Surgeon kept delaying my date every two weeks. I was at wits end when he told me it should be in about two weeks and when I went to the hospital for another matter found out he was on vacation for a month! I was like how do I have surgury in two weeks and he is on vacation. I automactically went into depression. I felt like you said you did, "I can't even begin to describe the absolute devastation and dissapointment of getting so close to changing your whole life and have it all taken away so easily."

Well after a few days of not even knowing how I could get thru another day, I started calling around for another doc and had my band placed about two weeks later! When i look back at things, i think about how god has always protected me from certain situations and I honestly feel that by not going with my original surgeon I am much better off.

Look around and find someone who will band you and use all the records and test you have done. Don't let everything that you did be in vain.

My daughter is calling me rfrom the potty, she's finished, so I gotta go :)

I will start looking into it ... but i will need to save up some more money. I had only saved $7500 since that was what i was initially told and that is all i have at this point and at most places here in DFW area, the total cost is $15,000 .... BUT i'm not giving up. I was so ready for the surgery so now I just cannot stop thinking about ways to go about it. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it !! :)

Kimi-- I'm sure the dissappointment must be crushing since it is such a long road to get to the point you were at. I think the post above is a good one though, take your records, tests etc and try to find somewhwere that will let you use them. That way you aren't starting from square one. You're still in the same place you were, just slightly delayed! I know there are all kinds of financing options, and I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but lots of people here have self paid and done loans etc. Hang in there and let that other Doc just go out of your mind. I know how angry you must be at him, but it's not going to get you anywhere -- try to focus all that energy on finding a new road to bandland. We're all here to support you. Good luck!

Kimi, this is small consolation to hear when you're feeling so disappointed I'm sure. But, on the bright side, you have gone through all the pre-op stuff and you have proven yourself strong enough to endure it all. Pick yourself up and find a new doc who will do the original, medically necessary surgery and make arrangements for the band as well. Unfortunately you have experienced a "bump" in the road but it's not a total dead end. Your patience and strength will serve you well here as well as in your entire band journey. Consider this a learning experience. Everything in life is. In the mean time, keep coming here for support......we'll listen.

I wish you strength, courage and determination.

Kim,

have you tried a place in Dallas called Nova Body Solutions? They are advertising the surgery for $12500. Also on the obesityhelp.com web site there is a place in San Antonio advertising for 10700. Just a couple of suggestions... Also, I am using Dr Joya in Puerta VAllarta, Mexico he his charge is 8000.

susan

Susan,

No i haven't but i'll look into both of those ! I also heard that Belgium is really cheap and that includes the airfare ... and you get a vacation along with it !! i'll look both of those ! thanks so much !!

Kim

I am sorry to know you had a problem. I just wanted to say that my experience with Dr. Bryce's office has been totally different.

When I first attended a seminar in January, I was given paperwork saying his non-refundable program fee was $250. By the time of my first appointment with Dr. Bryce, the program fee had increased to $400 but they honored the commitment of $250 without question.

I haven't had any problems with them at all and Julie, their insurance clerk, has been great to work with and kept me well informed of all the steps in the process.

Have you thought about Mexico. Total price for everything is 8500.00 with Dr. Sanchez and they even set up financing if you want it. They were fabulous and I had a wonderful experience. That includes, preop, guest house one night before surgery, one night in hospital, and then one more night in guest house and all of your eats.

Just thought you might want to check them out. He's done over 6600 lap bands and free fills for life. PM me if you need more info.