Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is continuing on liquid protein for a few meals still okay during early pregnancy

Hello All I was banded 8/27/2012. I have lost a total of 33 lbs, and now find myself 6 weeks pregnant. I have wanted to get pregnant just did not expect it this soon, I've already lost 4 during pregnancy, I am making sure I am eating, but want to do it right. Now I know I'm pregnant it seems like food goes down easier. I haven't had a chance to contact my nutritionist but thought I would ask those here with experience. I was given a 6 month supply of Protein Shakes from my doctor. They are high calorie high Protein no sugar protein shakes. They are okay on my stomach as long as they are cold. If I drank these twice a day with one healthy meal and a snack would that be okay? What was your experience? did anyone continue to loose during pregnancy?

Congratulations.... That would be a question for your OBGYN. He should best guide you on your nutritional choices. Remember the baby will take everything it needs from you....if there is nothing leftover your health is compromised.

Check with both the OBGYN and nutritionist. I would think you might need more solid foods. Don't go crazy eating, but make sure the baby is healthy. You will def. gain from the baby, so don't expect large continues weight loss.

Yeah I agree with honk. I was told once on solids to sty on solids. They tend to stay with u longer and then you're drinking extra calories. Plus I'm not sure if you're getting everything u need nutritionally in the Protein Shakes. Def check with both your ob/gym and nutritionist. Good luck and congrats!!!

@honk, sorry you must have missed the part where I wrote my surgeon prescribed me a 6 month supply of Protein Shakes. I'm obviously going to talk to my ob and surgeon, I was just trying to get advised from those who have become pregnant after being banded.

I did a Protein Shake for breakfast threw my entire first trimester. I couldnt handle solids in the morning it made me extremely nauseated. They are full of Calcium, Protein and Vitamins which is all things you need. Im not sure I would do two a day though just because I dont think your going to be able to get all your whole grains, fruits, and veggies in that you and the baby both need in just one Solid meal and snack.< /p>

A Protein shake is ok every once in awhile but I would not rely on them for a nutritional suppliment during your pregnancy. Im not sure if your surgeon ever told you but the best type of Protein to eat is solid protein. The body absorbs and digests liquid Protein differently then it does a solid protein, so you will not get 100% of the benefits as you should.

Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!!! I wish you a happy and healthy one!