Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very confused about lapband and reason for it

I am 6 weeks post op feeling no restriction. Why did I get this surgery when everyone on this forum talks about losing all this weight without fills. Most of you are saying its not the band. Then why would you or I have gotten it to just be on a diet. I can diet without band. I am regretting my decision

The band is just a tool, not a magic fix. The work will always be yours to do, so in that regard, it's not the band.

However, the band IS a great tool. With adequate Fluid in it, it allows you to go for much longer periods of time without hunger on less food. The trick is to learn to live with and work with your band and to have realistic expectations. Here's a great link I think may help you: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Also keep in mind that you are only 6 weeks post op and it does take most people multiple fills before they have enough Fluid in the band to notice a difference.

In answer to your question- why get the band? Well for me, it's allowed me to lose 170 pounds in less than a year. Yes, I had to do a lot of work and it wasn't always easy, but it has been more than worth it. I definitely could've never done this alone.

Best wishes.

Don't take this the wrong way Seeme. But I don't understand how you could have got this far into your journey without some basic knowledge of how this all works?

Now, I know that sometimes we weren't told that we wouldn't start losing immediately. But, I know I was told over and over that I could need up to 6-8 fills for the band to start working? And maybe I was told I'd be in bandster hell and that I may only lose 4 lbs a month, but I apparently chose to ignore those words of wisdom and I was going to be one of the lucky ones who drops 80 lbs the first 4 months.

And, the number of folks who have had no fills on this site is miniscule compared to those of us who have had many more. 7 for me btw.

Hang in there, this can work but you're going to need a lot more patience. Keep reading on the forum.

tmf

Six weeks is so so early to be understanding how the fills actually control your satiety. Once you get your fills and somewhat gradual you will know how our "tool" works. I'm two years out this month, 113 pounds off, and didn't really feel restriction until filled at about 3.5cc and more. Then it became apparent how my band works. Be patient you will succeed and not regret it.

Well not many lose all this weight without fills. Why are you regretting it now? Apparently your decision was not thought through very much. We all got the band because we failed at dieting. We dont diet with the band. Six weeks is not going to make you lose hundreds of pounds. Its a process. Is today pity party day or is everyone pmsing. It takes work its not a miracle drug. Its not magic. However it does do what its supposed to do if you let it.

I am 6 weeks post op feeling no restriction. Why did I get this surgery when everyone on this forum talks about losing all this weight without fills. Most of you are saying its not the band. Then why would you or I have gotten it to just be on a diet. I can diet without band. I am regretting my decision

Boy do you ever sound like me......after my surgery I was told I needed to count calories, measure/weigh all my food, keep a journal, etc, etc....I WAS PI***D!

ANOTHER DIET??? I did not need surgery for this....I could do this at WW, Jenny Craig, etc, etc....

However, I did eventually learn what it is all about.....for me anyway, everyone has a different experience.....

Having the band surgery is nothing more than having this device installed....that's all, it is not really activated yet....first stage is post op healing, eating the right foods so as not to damage the tender post surgery area, etc. In my case it took 30 days.

THEN the adjustments started - Fills! This is a step by step process, adjusting the band, to get to that point where the band really starts to do what it is supposed to do....

It took me 6 months from surgery to get to that point....

That 6 month period from surgery, was also for me a time to learn the lessons that I would need later in order to survive with a tight band....

I called it "Bandster Bootcamp" or "Basic Training"....it is also called "Bandster Hell" because everything you do during this time is mostly will power, self discipline....white knuckling all the way....very frustrating....

But once I hit that groove, where the band takes over...it has been all a piece of cake....I began loosing weight without trying....my appetite disappeared, lost interest in food. Only ate when I felt like I needed to.....beats dieting hands down.

Critics say it is the easy way out...I say SO WHAT...I LIKE EASY, and I LIKE BEING SKINNY!!!

That was 2 years ago, and the feeling has not gone.....having this surgery was the best thing I could ever have done...only regret is that I did not do it a lot sooner.....

But there was a big learning curve in the beginning.....now it is normal day to day life....never have to diet again!

Hi seeme, I can understand how you are feeling. It's still early days and like the others have said once you start getting fills you'll get restriction and your band will start working like its supposed to. Some people are lucky and need no fills, just the placement of the band gives them the feign of restriction. The majority of us do need the fills to get to the greenzone. It took me four months to hit the sweet spot and in that time I taught myself about healthy Portion Control with the assistance if my nutritionist and started to become active exercise wise.

The band is a magic tool once it's fine tuned and it will take away your hunger apart from the normal meal time hunger and it will make you eat less and stay full longer and the weight will come off. For me personally it has taken away a lot of the cravings and obsession I used to have prior to the band.

The only regret I have, and it has been hard at times, is not doing it earlier. Now my band is where it needs to be with the right amount of fills loosing weight and more importantly keeping it off so far is the easiest thing I've ever done.

So please don't be discouraged take this time to learn about healthy food choices, if you're not exercising start finding something you will be able to enjoy and keep in regular contact with your aftercare team. They will help get you through this tough phase.

I had some restriction even before my first fill and I lost weight... a lot of weight. I had 4 fills in total to reach my "sweet spot".

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

Another reason some people need "no fills" is that their doc when the surgery is done instead of just leaving the primer Fluid only in (usually less than 1-2CC) they go ahead and fill the band up halfway or more. Therefore it is like having your first 3-5 fills from day one. Personally I think this is silly and dangerous as there is LOTS of swelling going on after surgery and you need all the room you can get. I personally know someone that couldnt even handle the primer fluid and had to go back in after being released to have the barely 1cc of fluid that was leftover in the band sucked out before they could even keep spit down.

how many times have you gone on a diet and been hungry all the time? You get your fills and never again will you be hungry between meals that the value of the band yet here you are yet again wanting to loss weight...if it happened right off the table no one would be fat and the whole world would have a band. I know this part is very hard but your about due for your first fill and find out how soon u can get another one if you need it my doctor said 2 wks also find out the size of your band mine is 10 cc and has 6.5 cc in it now but the first of the year I am think a touch more would help. Like most of us you will come to love you band more then you Mother....well maybe not that much but a lot....hang in there a new life is so close for you..

Dont give up hop! I had the same exact issue you are having. I felt restricted first thing because of the swelling but after that went away I could still way almost just as much as I did before. I started testing all of my limits and plateaued right off the bat. I got my first fill 6 weeks post op and had 3cc added to my 10cc band... I started feeling some restriction and stopped being able to cheat as much but I could still get way more down than a cup of food per meal.

Now after my 2nd fill two weeks ago (2cc so 5cc) total, am I really feeling restricted. The change happened so drastically I thought I would have to have an unfill. My surgeon told me to stick it out since j hadn't lost any weight in 6 weeks. Well now that I am being forced to eat slow, small bites and only about 1/2- 1 cup of food in a 30-45 minute period of time I am finally feeling like the band is helping me. I feel like I will now be able to use it in aid to my weight loss rather than just letting it sit there.

You just have to get through the hurdle hut it will be so worth it when you do!z

The lap band is a journey, not a destination. It is with us for the rest of lives. It does not have a separate will, it is up to us to provide the motivation and work to help it help us!

Well put !

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

B-52 wow did you say it all! It's a tool installed that hasn't been activated yet! Now I understand. I did research this for 2 years! I wanted to do this first to support daughter who is getting it in jan. I honestly did not understand that it could take 6 months. at least now I can guide her better when in her first months. But I don't want to be obsessed with weighing and measuring . That's what I did in the past. That's not what I thought I had to do.