Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2013 Bandsters!

Surgery was 1/30/13 and I'm not hungry. I accidentally went like 6 hours without something in my stomach (first time out of the house since surgery and was busy) so when I got back home and my stomach was rumbling bad! It hurt! I gently gave it what it wanted and it settled down. But through it all...I wasn't hungry. I'm sure that will change but for now I need to pay better attention and not rely on my stomach to tell me when to eat.

I am happy for you that you doing great, I have my first fill on the 19th as I am leaving out of the country this week, and coming back the 15th, I am walking now 2 miles 5 times a week so not pushing it too hard but doing and felling much better then I used too, I am always now full of energy!

that's wonderful. Can't wait until I am able to walk like that. I've made progress as well. I walked two avenue's yesterday from Sixth to Eighth. I know for most people that's no big deal, but for me with my arthritis, that's a huge milestone. I couldn't have done that a month ago.

How are all you January bands gets holdin up?

I was banded jan 23rd. I've lost 14lbs total.

Problems I'm having are 1. pain in my back and stomach still. Maybe from gas still? It's been 2 weeks. 2. A bruised pain on the right side of my belly button. It hurts most of the time and when I push on that area, it's worse, like a bruise. My port is on the other side. So not sure what that is. 3. I'm having a hard time following "the rules". Portion size, bad foods, my post op diet, Protein intake and Water intake. I am trying small bites and then take bigger ones. I get my first full Monday.

Any advice, warnings or similarities? Anyone else having problems?

I am aware how you are feeling. I as well have been waiting for what seems like forever. I started my journey back in June oh 2011 and felt that I would be having mysurgery last November........however after suffering four j

@leeshabeesh - I had surgery 01/22. I had so much pain with gas, they had to take the liquid out until i'm completely healed, hopefully that will be on 02/11. the scariest part was not being able to catch my breath sometimes because of it. anyway I "essentially" don't have the band right now because I have no liquid. I have not followed the soft diet like i'm supposed to, however I have noticed some changes. I cannot drink soda and I haven't come close to eating what would be a normal portion for me (before surgery). I've also made the mistake of taking a big swallow of food! I guess that's something that's gonna take a while for me to get used to! I don't anticipate losing a lot of weight until I get my first fill. I say let's give ourselves a break. We have to let our minds catch up with what our new stomachs will allow. I know none of us have had this surgery to buckle at our first set of obstacles!

Thanks Shawn for your reply. I feel like I'm the only one struggling sometimes. I haven't had soda in a month. My dr. said absolutely no soda because it can make your pouch expand. And I also have no Fluid in my band. They leave it empty after surgery until my first fill which is Monday. But I too am not able up eat nearly half of what I use to. They told me to only eat a half a cup of food at one time and I usually try to stick with that but sometimes it doesn't satisfy me. I haven't taken pain mess in 48 hours and that could be why I'm feeling different pains in my abdomen. I meant to call my dr office today but the pain didn't really bother me till after 5. Go figure :)

Its been nearly a week since my band, creamy liquids and Protein Shakes in my future for one more week. I have had soupy mashed potatoes though along with Immodium on doctors orders since the Protein shakes run right through me and were causing dehydration. Trying to focus on yogurt, cottage cheese And Water now with potatoes for dinner made with skim milk. Down 14lbs and I sure hope its worth it. Reading about all the people who gain or have terrible complications on this site has scared me but I feel like most didnt understand that they still have to eat properly and exercise to make it work.

Thanks Shawn for your reply. I feel like I'm the only one struggling sometimes. I haven't had soda in a month. My dr. said absolutely no soda because it can make your pouch expand. And I also have no Fluid in my band. They leave it empty after surgery until my first fill which is Monday. But I too am not able up eat nearly half of what I use to. They told me to only eat a half a cup of food at one time and I usually try to stick with that but sometimes it doesn't satisfy me. I haven't taken pain mess in 48 hours and that could be why I'm feeling different pains in my abdomen. I meant to call my dr office today but the pain didn't really bother me till after 5. Go figure :)

You are not alone. I'm struggling, too. I have cheated with my portion sizes, etc. I'm sure there are more people out there struggling than actually speak up for support. Sometimes there can be an air of self-righteousness and judgment in these forums, but we're all on the same journey! I hope you figure out the abdominal pain and congrats on getting a fill so soon! I'm jealous!

You are not alone. I'm struggling' date=' too. I have cheated with my portion sizes, etc. I'm sure there are more people out there struggling than actually speak up for support. Sometimes there can be an air of self-righteousness and judgment in these forums, but we're all on the same journey! I hope you figure out the abdominal pain and congrats on getting a fill so soon! I'm jealous![/quote']

I have been struggling myself. I feel so hungry all the time. I get my fiat fill on the 26th. I have not cheated, it isn't because I haven't thought about, it is more of a fear too. Hang in there everyone, we can do this one day at a time and together!

I was banded on the 23rd and will get my first fill on Feb. 15th. I am excited and also nervous about it. The whole idea of getting "stuck" freaks me out big time. It is the fear of the unknown. I feel like I have been doing pretty good. I try to keep to correct portion sizes. I am trying to eat 4-5 times a day. A couple of times I have had to have a Protein Shake at about 8 pm because I am not sure I won't wake up ravenous. Is there anyway you guys who are really struggling could add in an extra Protein shake? I am so thankful for this site and to know that we are all in this together gives me great comfort.

my pain usually sets in later in the day. yesterday was my first night going to bed without pain meds! yeah!!

I'm hungry all the time it feels like but I'm trying to eat very small portions. I'm anxious to have real food!!!

Sorry guys I have been out of touch. I am busy at work since I hae gone back. I am one month post op today. I can start regular food next Friday. However, I have not lost weight since the surgery. My first fill is on the 22nd. Anyone else having the same problem? I haven't been cleared to exercise yet.

Also, has anyone had any wine or alcohol yet? I am craving wine.

Sorry guys I have been out of touch. I am busy at work since I hae gone back. I am one month post op today. I can start regular food next Friday. However, I have not lost weight since the surgery. My first fill is on the 22nd. Anyone else having the same problem? I haven't been cleared to exercise yet.

Hi Steelerfan. I'm in a similar situation. Lost 23 lbs from pre-op diet to eating mushies...which was 10 days after surgery. Since starting all foods...about 10 days ago, a loss of only 1 lb. I've been following a food plan...around 1,000 calories a day so I know it's not because I'm eating too much, or the wrong foods. I've seen other posts where folks say they have stopped losing, or have even gained. I wouldn't worry about it if you are following a sensible diet. Look for those NSVs instead..are your clothes looser? Can you move easier? I had a great NSV at work last week. Before the holidays, I got a lamp for the desk in my office. I couldn't get under the desk to plug it in...till last week when I could finally bend enough to reach the power strip. Those are the kind of little or big things you look at when the scale isn't moving.

I just had 2.7oz of whiskey last night, watered down. It was my first time with alcohol in months, and I was excited to have some! I tracked it and had the allowance for the calories at the end of the day. I will say, though, it really took down my inhibitions and I wanted to SNACK! Luckily, I just ate some raw mushrooms and salsa (I know, it WAS kind of gross) because I didn't have many more calories left. I almost gave in and ate animal crackers and pretzels. I probably won't drink again until there is a special occasion.

Oh, also my surgery was on Jan 18th, I'm 3 weeks out.

Hello all,

I was banded on the 22nd, I just wanted to say hi,,

I started preop liquid diet on jan 8th and since then I am down 20 lbs 12 preamp about 8 surgery but I have not anymore more weight! I'm on Mushies but. Feel like I'm doing something wrong =(