Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are There Really That Many Failed Bandsters Out There?

I am scheduled to be banded on 11/7/12. I ran across this Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/199537600106847/#!/groups/FailedBands/

The stories on there really scared me. I really have not heard many negative things about the band... IF you follow the rules.

The group basically said the band was a waste and really does not good in the long run... that banders should have the sleeve or bypass instead.

Thoughts?

I have talked with my doc about this and I think there are a lot of people (but not most people) who fail with the band. But the reason is usually that they didn't follow the docs instructions. Sure, some will have complications beyond their control of course...........

You have to remember, if someone is happy with their choice ( on anything! Not just type of WLS), they tell one person and they don't rant and rave. If someone is unhappy, they will tell TEN people. It's is true in everything-from good restaurant choices to favorite food. People who are unhappy with their choice are looking for others to support their rants.

There are people who fail with the band by no fault of their own, but there are also many who fail because they chose not to follow their doctors orders and get good follow up care. Like everything else on the web, buyer beware!

Just look around this site to find the people who have succeeded and are happy with their band. Just saying....

I am scheduled to be banded on 11/7/12. I ran across this Facebook Group https://www.facebook...ps/FailedBands/

The stories on there really scared me. I really have not heard many negative things about the band... IF you follow the rules.

The group basically said the band was a waste and really does not good in the long run... that banders should have the sleeve or bypass instead.

Thoughts?

WOW! I made a VERY SIMILAR statement on this thread, titled:

" It's time I told my story now"

or something to that effect. I SOooo agree with YOU and it IS SO VERY SCAREY, if you believe what ya read, or read what you believe or something like that one will start thinking as you and I obviously do. Total confusion, frustration, or AT LEAST SOME, SOME mixed emotions. N I had at least one griping (or so it seemed) because I aired these feelings, to see if others may feel the same emotions. So NOW I KNOW that my feelings are NOT SO UNUSUAL.t least we are able to weight he pros and cons, when given that option, and thats whats important. Not jumping in with both feet till we are good and plenty ready! LOL! Sandy

You made some good points. sorry this is redundant. Doh! ,

as H SIMPSON would say!

A lot of the, bad talking band sites also have to do with a Dr. who came up with mini bypass surgery. Got a few people to share their horrible experience with the band. While, there is no guarentee with any surgery to be successful and sometimes it just may not have worked, and many have their own faults to blame for not making life changes. But there are so many more successful banders out there and this place is an awesome place to see that. I choose the band after being on this site for awhile and researched and talked with people about the good and bad. Always know what you are getting into and then make that decision. SO far everything has been great actually. I am 8days post op. I am struggling with the liquid diet.. ugh 1 more week of it lol.. but that is something we have to do.. with anything.

I chose the band because it is the safest imo. I did not want to have my intestines re-routed... I have known quite a few people, friends/customers who had the bypass and Just seeing them made me feel I rather stay fat than to live like that. In and out of the hospitals, bleeding ulcers, to many complications.. and they lose weight so rapidly they don't really look that great.. unhealthy. My friend got the bypass, and her sister got the lapband.. what a difference. She lost more weight than her sister, fast .. but at a slower rate.. and she looked Great! healthy.. and she loves the band. I like the fact it is reversible if I need it to be. Anyway hun.. I hope you look into it.. feel comfortable with your decision, and remember surgery is surgery.. you will always have some doubts and fears.. Good Luck!! :)

You have to remember, if someone is happy with their choice ( on anything! Not just type of WLS), they tell one person and they don't rant and rave. If someone is unhappy, they will tell TEN people. It's is true in everything-from good restaurant choices to favorite food. People who are unhappy with their choice are looking for others to support their rants.

There are people who fail with the band by no fault of their own, but there are also many who fail because they chose not to follow their doctors orders and get good follow up care. Like everything else on the web, buyer beware!

Just look around this site to find the people who have succeeded and are happy with their band. Just saying....

you make some valid points. good post! Sandy

A lot of the, bad talking band sites also have to do with a Dr. who came up with mini bypass surgery. Got a few people to share their horrible experience with the band. While, there is no guarentee with any surgery to be successful and sometimes it just may not have worked, and many have their own faults to blame for not making life changes. But there are so many more successful banders out there and this place is an awesome place to see that. I choose the band after being on this site for awhile and researched and talked with people about the good and bad. Always know what you are getting into and then make that decision. SO far everything has been great actually. I am 8days post op. I am struggling with the liquid diet.. ugh 1 more week of it lol.. but that is something we have to do.. with anything.

I chose the band because it is the safest imo. I did not want to have my intestines re-routed... I have known quite a few people, friends/customers who had the bypass and Just seeing them made me feel I rather stay fat than to live like that. In and out of the hospitals, bleeding ulcers, to many complications.. and they lose weight so rapidly they don't really look that great.. unhealthy. My friend got the bypass, and her sister got the lapband.. what a difference. She lost more weight than her sister, fast .. but at a slower rate.. and she looked Great! healthy.. and she loves the band. I like the fact it is reversible if I need it to be. Anyway hun.. I hope you look into it.. feel comfortable with your decision, and remember surgery is surgery.. you will always have some doubts and fears.. Good Luck!! :)

I havent actually dont the band diet, but some similar strict diets. I think it'll get much easier the last half. Good luck, hang tough, and I admire yer bravery and determination! Sandy

Thanks for all your replies.... I picked the lap band because it was the least invasive and I did not wany guts rerouted.... Just a little nervous...

Thanks for all your replies.... I picked the lap band because it was the least invasive and I did not wany guts rerouted.... ...

me too... and I am almost 2 years out and have been very successful.,... but I have played by the rules, counted every calorie that went in my mouth and never missed a monthly Dr appointment.

I am on the administrative side of the medical professionan and I did lots of research on the internet as well talking with people in the know and I was told over and over...medically there are less problems with the long term results of the band.

As for its effectivness... thats really up to the individual. I have a gal in my office who was banded 2 weeks after me. She lost 70 lbs the first year and put back 30 becasue she stopped going to the Dr, ignored that she needed fills and basically quit her dieting.

And it is dieting in my opinion. Until you get to the point of maintainence... then the band can really shine!

Best of luck in your decision.

I am scheduled to be banded on 11/7/12. I ran across this Facebook Group https://www.facebook...ps/FailedBands/

Thoughts?

i know that group and the maj of the people in it.

the majority lost the vast amount of their weight w/the band (before

something happened). that is a fact.

who knows why their band (failed??)

the bands fault or theirs or a combo of both...

that is between them and their dr's.

each person is different and each case is different.

yes the band works

yes the band fails

yes the person can be the cause

yes the person is not the cause

it could be the surgeon or the band or whatever.

things happen. this is why the dr goes over all of this

pros and cons and stresses we must do the follow up and advise them if something doesnt feel right or if some thing is wrong. letting something fester doesnt help. i signed paperwork stating i was told this fact.

i feel for anyone who has had problems with any WLS. i also feel everyone should make up their own mind. come to the decision that is right for them. and go for it.

ps-i no longer venture on that forum because i was on there before my

band and was scared out of my mind with the horror stories.

It is also like blaming a diet for you not losing weight. Most ANY diet works, if you stick to it. No different than the band it is a tool that comes with lifestyle changes, commitment, and dedication from the bandee involving how we eat and incorporating exercise into our regime.

I also feel like you are setting yourself up for concern and/or failure by going to a site that is only going to share negative stories. One like this (LBT) shares successes and failures so you can see both sides of people's experiences. There are times the band truly fails with someone; however, often times, people mistreat their body and the band causing that failure.

Good luck to you. It is normal to be nervous pre-op. If you are still having doubts talk to your medical team and share your concerns.

Curiousity got the best of me so I went to the link... and the group is closed to general public. I have no desire to join this group as I don't need to read the horror stories.

I do wonder how much of the failure is attributed to the person and not the procedure. Also wonder how many total lap band surgeries are performed worldwide and the ratio of success to failure.

I have researched this procedure for months and I trust my primary care physician as well as the surgeon I am in process with. Could something go wrong? Sure, that's the risk factor of nearly everything we do. Right now, I am on a runaway train if I do nothing at all. Between my rapidly progressing diabetes and other obesity related health issues, choosing the band is the least of all evils for me. I'm not crazy about having a plastic device inside me to restrict my stomach. but it beats the alternatives.

I am almost three years out and have been maintaining at 179 I would love to be 160 but Im not sweating it. It was the best decision I ever made. My best friend and I had it done the same day, she didnt follow the rules causing her band to slip and had it removed instead of wanting it fixed. She said she couldnt live eating so little food, but that was her decision. I love being thinner better then 287. It was a sacrifice but it was worth it. ;)