Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I've Forgotten How To Be A Bandster!!!!

Please remind me of rules tips and tricks! I'm back on the bandwagon in the morning (well now but I'm about to go to bed for night)

I wish I could help, I am having issues myself. Tomorrow is a new day, maybe start it off with just that, begin fresh. look at all of your pre and post op material and refresh yourself with it. I have been sick for about 3 wks and have not paid much attention to what I have been eating and I have not been walking. Somehow or another, I have to make myself feel better and turn things around.

I hope you can do the same. Let me know how it goes with you and welcome back being to a Bandster.

Understanding smart food choices.

Portion size is a major factor in your success with the LAP-BAND® System. However, the types of foods you eat can affect your weight loss as well. A healthy diet will have items from each of the following food groups. Quantities and suggested foods are listed in each group. Always talk to your doctor or dietician about your particular dietary needs.

Good Choices

Fruit and vegetables:

• 1 to 2 servings of fresh fruit daily
  • 2 to 3 servings of fresh vegetables daily

Whole grains:

• 1 small portion of cornflakes for Breakfast, or
  • 1 to 2 slices of toasted whole wheat or rye bread each day.
    • If you find you have trouble with bread blocking your stomach opening, substitute other whole grains such as refined, cooked or ready-to-eat Cereal, oatmeal, cream of wheat, or grits.

Protein:

• 2 to 4 oz of meat, fish or poultry, or one egg for additional Protein
    • Remove all visible fat from the meat. Remove skin from poultry/fish. And cook with little/no fat — grill, steam, microwave, or boil.

Dairy:

• 2 cups of low-fat milk or yogurt, or 1 oz low-fat cheese (max.)
    • Since milk and yogurt are calories in liquid form, you might think they should be avoided. However, the Calcium and Protein they have makes them an important part of a healthy daily diet.

Fats:

Drinks:

• Unlimited zero- or low-calorie liquids per day, including:

Not-so-good choices

Proceed with caution:

Some foods may cause problems as they may block or have difficulty passing your stomach opening. Introduce these types of foods to your diet slowly, one at a time, to see if they are tolerated. Remember: always be careful and chew these foods well before swallowing.

• Dry meat
  • Peanut Butter
  • Shrimp
  • Untoasted or doughy bread
  • Pasta or rice
  • Fibrous vegetables (e.g., corn, celery and asparagus)
  • Dried fruit
  • Coconut
  • Popcorn
  • Citrus fruits
  • Nuts

Steer clear:

Some foods contain too many calories and too little nutritional value to be of any use to you with the LAP-BAND® System. Avoid foods high in sugar or fat, including:

• Syrups, jams, honey
  • Candy, pies, cakes, biscuits
  • chips, dips
  • High-calorie soft drinks

Some doctors suggest patients avoid carbonated drinks, as they may contribute to enlargement of the stomach pouch. Alcohol should also be consumed in moderation (one glass of wine or less per day).

Thanks for the great tips. It helps to see it in writing.:)

Bandwagon. Get it. It's a book by Jeanne McMillan and the link is at the bottom of this page.

tmf

Lovethenewme has given you the food plan, but you need to also look at the emotions behind it. Why you do what you do, why you over eat? Start a log or journal, every night before you go to bed write down about your day, what you ate how you felt, why you ate what you ate. This really helps pin point your eating and can be eye opening. Good luck on your new journey.

I think it was wonderful that Lovethenewme put all that information up for you. Thats was so kind and a lot of work.

But I had to smile telling a overweight person how to diet with food is like telling a fish how to swim. We all know what to eat and not eat we have dieted are selfs in my case fatter.. We all have really good reasons why we have started to gain weight back illness, stress , special occassions , eating , I'm depressed, I'm happy and on and on. Truth is we fail because we want to eat to much and that is what got us to Lapband.

So I suggest that you sit down and think about why you got Lapband ,how it felt when it was going good ,and how you stopped doing what was working, and why. You can not change what you do not acknowledge. Then put it behind you thats where a lot of my weight goes anyway and use what you know works . *8 glasses of Water, no fluids 30 before or after, 1/2 to one cup of food Protein first chew chew chew and stop when you feel full not when it's gone, Then go for a walk you will feel in control and thats where you want to be. Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for but I promise you it will work 100% for you if you follow it .

These r great! Thank you please keep them coming

Please remind me of rules tips and tricks! I'm back on the bandwagon in the morning (well now but I'm about to go to bed for night)

there are some rules (as that one poster posted which are fabulous)

there are however, no tricks

having band surgery is not a (cure all and quick fix)

you must change your mental attitude

lately i have read posters who say that they are getting the band and then

a couple (months or even weeks) say the band is failing or not working

and they should have got the sleeve....

remember the band is merely plastic and goes around your stomach

like a necklace......it will help us eat less....esp after fills......but its

up to us to help the band by eating Protein rich foods and makings

smart choices......so get rid of the (what are the tricks tude)....there

are none.

you are gonna eat to lose weight (just smaller amounts) and better choices

and jeannies book (bandbible) is the bomb...

My guidelines for nutrition are:

60+ gr Protein per day

Avoid processed carbs

64 oz Water daily

Eat Protein first, veggies second, carbs only if there is room, usually not room.

3 meals per day, 15 gr protein, 20-30 gr low glycemic carbs

1 snack, 15 gr protein, usually a bit of tuna salad or a couple of RF string cheese or ff Greek yogurt.

Avoid liquid calories

I have problems with greens, so try to eat colorful crunchy veggies, like peppers, carrots, cabbage, onion, asparagus, etc.

Meal size per my nutritionist is 1/2 to 1 cup...

No drinking for 30 min after eating

With an empty band I've lost 15 lb in 3 months.