Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting Over After 4 Years

Hi,

I haven't been on this site for a while. I was banded in 2/2008, starting at 220, 5'3". My lowest weight was 180 and then I started having problems. specifically, acid reflx, very frequent vomiting and not being able to drink requiring emergency unfills two times and this happened a long time after a fill. The doctor unfilled my band completely, then several months later partially filled (because I was so hungry) and then he recommended gastric sleeve. I ended up at 210 where I have been siting for a couple of years.

Well to make a long story short, I made preparations for the sleeve but I was not comfortable with the surgery so I did not go through with it at the last minute. During the pre-op diet, I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and I lost weight. I thought "I can lose 30-40 pounds on my own, I know it" and I would be satisfied with that.

So here I am starting my new journey toward healthy eating and exercise habits that will be permanent and result in a moderate long term weight loss of (I'm hoping) about 30 pounds. I would rather do this than have the gastric sleeve.

The other thing I noticed is that the preop liquid diet completely "reset" my band or something. My stomach must have been swollen or something because I have not vomitted at all since I canceled the surgery. Of course, I am chopping and cuttime my food up in very tiny pieces which is probably why I failed the first time and that might be the reason.

My questions are: (1) has anyone "started over" with the band; and (2) do you think I should leave things alone or get a fill. I notice I can eat a fairly large meal. After that I am still "hungry" but if I just wait, it usually goes away and then I am not hungry for quite a while. (3) what is a normal "portion" size wtih the band. Mine are pretty large but like I said I am not hungry between meals. Thoughts?

PS: My preop barium showed no problems with the band and no reflux either.

I'm still pretty new to the bank I was banded 9/6/12 but I think if your starting over that you should use the band and get a fill. You have it inside you why not use it but this time use it right. I think your on the right track & I wish you best of luck :) you can do this

I'm still pretty new to the bank I was banded 9/6/12 but I think if your starting over that you should use the band and get a fill. You have it inside you why not use it but this time use it right. I think your on the right track & I wish you best of luck :) you can do this

band*

Hey Linda,

I am trying to get back on track too. Was banded in 2010 and have struggled recently with chocolate/sweet food addiction. My band is quite tight, but i have perfected the art of regurgitating and rechewing, gross i know. I have come back online to get som support and hints on how to move forward and lose the 8 kg i have gained plus about 20kg more.

Annette

Annette, I am obviously no expert, but I have noticed that food goes down if I chop it up really fine first and then put it in my mouth (and chew some more). I think before I got into the habit of chewing alot without pre-cutting it. Also, to avoid slider foods is a decision we all have to make if we want to be healthy. Good luck to you !

hey Linda,

I have succeeded in cutting out the chocolate, so i am slightly confident i will beat the other slider rubbish. I will make an effort to come online a few times a week to get my fill of encouragement. Good luck to you also

Annette

I guess you can say I'm starting over now too. Had my band 3 yrs ago and had a slip about 6 mths ago. Before the slip, I was 9 lbs from my goal of 135. In the past 6 mths, since my slip (and unfills/fills/tweaking) I've gained 16 lbs. Now I have 25 lbs till goal. And I don't like that at all! After 6 pm, it's like I don't even have a band. I can eat the side of a barn. My first couple meals of the day, I'm still pretty tight and can still only eat a small amt. I'm a nigtime grazer, so I know thats why I've gained 16 lbs back.

I just got back from my first appt with my new trainer. I'm starting over again also. I did the first 80lbs with a trainer, so I thought I'd give that a try again. He at least motivates me. I started latch-hooking a rug at night, so it give me something to do besides eat. I've lost 2 lbs this past week.

So, yes, I guess I'm starting over again too.

Good luck!

Marci

I think we are all food addicts and this will be something we need to control forever. I have been banded 4 years with no fills. I refuse to get filled and only eat 2 bites of things and then somehow feel "fulfilled". That is not me and had I known about this "fill" thing I would have never gotten the band but insisted on the gastric surgery. I have been very steady on my weight but gained approx. 8 pounds last year so I finally said enough is enough and went back to basics and lost it with eating less. I am not physically hungry but emotionally hungry and that does you in eventually. You need to always be aware that it will always be there and we need to use something else to satisfy our mental hunger. You can do it by starting over again, and do it now before you gain all the weight back that you struggled to get off to begin with. Good luck and we are all in the same boat, trust me, it is a day to day thing like an alcoholic. Take one day at a time!

thank you banders for your support, you are right sparkplug about the emotional hunger, it is taking a lot of self talk but am confident today!