Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eek! I Just Got Banded And I'm Hungry/cheating! Help!

I got banded on 9/11 and even in the hospital I muttered words that the RNs haven't heard from a WLS patient "I'm hungry"... It's almost as if my band is not there! My appetite is strong and I don't know how I will be able to conquer this "liquid diet" stage.. I'm able to have pudding, cream of wheat (or any hot cereals for that matter), Protein shakes, and any decaffeinated liquids. I'm able to drink as much liquids as I want without getting a feeling of "oh no"

The terrible thing is..I'm embarrassed to admit this but I'm already cheating.... I've already moved onto solids (well sometimes). There have been a few occasions where I would eat small pieces of chicken. I know.. terrible! I just ask that if you are reading this that you can please be kind and don't judge me too much (I'll accept tough love)! I do try hard!

I know will-power - I need to have it but I felt like the pieces of chicken (small tiny pieces of stewed chicken) that I eat is fairly harmless. I will chew and chew and chew before swallowing, and It does nothing to me from what I can feel.. I haven't felt like I had to puke or the "dumping" feeling. I just feel satisfied..then guilty.

Guilty because I haven't lost weight since my surgery, and can't help to think it's because I'm eating solids. I go for walks daily and I'm consuming a significantly low amount of calories. Am I the only one who rushed to solids? I meet with my nutritionist and surgeon on tuesday (two week appointment) and I can't wait! I feel like I should come clean to them but I know they will be so disappointed... since clearly I'm disappointed in myself.

I just don't get why I have an appetite and why i'm able to stomach solids.. I read people's posts who feel like they can't eat anything and a small part feels jealous... only because I swear I could eat a plate of food (but i won't try).

Can anyone recommend some Protein Shakes to me? I'm using "About Time" (Birthday Cake and Vanilla) and i'm getting really sick of it...

I feel your pain, I got home from surgery at 7:30 pm and was like what's for dinner. You'll learn on here every surgeon is different in their requirements some people who had surgery the day after me (9/10) are on solids!! I went round and round with my nutritionist because I was hungry all the time and nothing was satisfying. How many times a day are you drinking your Protein Shakes? I've found because they are thicker I drink them 2-3 times a day. I'm not allowed oatmeal but I am allowed thicker Soups, such as Tomato, broccoli cheese (blend any lumps), etc. I've even branched out to spaghetti-O's. Also are you getting your Water in? That will help with you being full. I like you am terrified of having something back up on me so I haven't been real adventurous on trying out foods outside my current diet. Don't beat yourself up about having a few items here and there, they aren't bad items (right?) no point in brow beating yourself. Hang in there.

Unfortunately I can totally relate to your hunger. i was banded on the 13th - I had a 10ml band and they put on 2ml at the time of the operation but I have no restriction whatsoever and so Im totally relying in my will power. There is another girl I know who was banded one day after me and she has already lost over a stone since bring banded because she can only eat ice lollies !

The only thing that I try to remember to stop me cheating ( I have had 2 squares of chocolateS) that the liquid stage is to help the stomach heal ! With my consultant if I do anything to hinder that and he has to operate again Id have to pay for it again and the bottom line is I can't afford to.

TRY TO REMBER THAT ALTHOUGH YOUR EXTERNAL STITCHES MAY BE NEARLY HEALED YOUR INTERNAL HAVE NOT AND EATING SOLIDS CAN HAVE A DISASTROUS EFFECT ON YOUR RECOVERY XXXXXX

Good Luck Hun x

No judgement here I was hungry too :). I started eating a very little of healthy choice chicken noodle Soup. When I went to the doc I told him so he can help me. They are there to help not judge. Good luck! *HUGS*

I was hungry too. I am sure that had I tried I could have eaten anything I wanted to. However I didn't. Why not ? Well I wasn't stupid enough to go through all that prep, go under anaesthetic, have surgery just to mess it up because i was incapable of following a diet for a couple of weeks. Was it hard? Hell yes but the alternative which is risking stuffing up your surgery, contributing to a future slip and other problems were just not worth it.

If you are hungry eat/drink more of the items that you are supposed to be eating. If you really "can't" stick to that then call your Dr and discuss it with him and see if he has any ideas for you.

Don't worry, no one here is out to judge or berate anyone else! We all know what it is like to be hungry and have a healthy appetite! As Angel70 said, the concern with solids at this stage is causing internal damage as your stomach is healing. The progression to solids is slow in order to ensure proper healing. I do think you should try, try, try to muster all the strength you can to stick to the stage your surgeon recommends whether it be liquids, pureed, or solids. It would be better to eat until you feel full on say liquids or pureeds (if that's what stage you are on) then to eat from a more progressed stage like solids. Is this making sense? I assume you are still supposed to be on the liquids stage?

My favorite Protein shakes are made from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder. (www.unjury.com) I personally love the vanilla and the chocolate splendor. I mix one scoop with ice and skim milk and mix it in the blender. It is so delicious and keeps me feeling full. Once I progressed to the pureed stage, I began adding a banana to the vanilla and now it is even better! The key, in my opinion, for the liquids stage is finding a Protein shake that you really enjoy the taste of. Sip it slowly, and it should keep you full for a while.

Remember, when you have the band put in, there is normally no saline in it yet, so any restriction you may feel is from the stomach being swollen. Every person is different. Every body is different, so for some, there may not be any change in the prior appetite level. Just keep in mind that if you stick to the liquids phase, the first few days are very hard as your body adjusts to the drop in calories and to the change in what you are eating, however, after the first few days, the body usually adjusts and most find that their appetite starts to diminish. It takes a lot of commitment, and believe me, none of us here are going to say it is easy, but you can do it!!!

Best of luck and please, don't beat yourself up. Just start over and try again! It will get easier! :)

I feel your pain, I got home from surgery at 7:30 pm and was like what's for dinner. You'll learn on here every surgeon is different in their requirements some people who had surgery the day after me (9/10) are on solids!! I went round and round with my nutritionist because I was hungry all the time and nothing was satisfying. How many times a day are you drinking your Protein shakes? I've found because they are thicker I drink them 2-3 times a day. I'm not allowed oatmeal but I am allowed thicker Soups, such as Tomato, broccoli cheese (blend any lumps), etc. I've even branched out to spaghetti-O's. Also are you getting your Water in? That will help with you being full. I like you am terrified of having something back up on me so I haven't been real adventurous on trying out foods outside my current diet. Don't beat yourself up about having a few items here and there, they aren't bad items (right?) no point in brow beating yourself. Hang in there.

Thank you for your comments! I can't stand my Protein Shakes but I try to have one or two a day! I'm currently looking for a new one to try! I"m drinking water/tea/crystal light/decaf coffee allllll day! It does help but my stomach will still rumble. And you are right i'm not eating bad items I just felt bad moving to solids when I'm supposed to be in the "liquid" stage. Thanks again! Much appreciated!

Unfortunately I can totally relate to your hunger. i was banded on the 13th - I had a 10ml band and they put on 2ml at the time of the operation but I have no restriction whatsoever and so Im totally relying in my will power. There is another girl I know who was banded one day after me and she has already lost over a stone since bring banded because she can only eat ice lollies !

The only thing that I try to remember to stop me cheating ( I have had 2 squares of chocolateS) that the liquid stage is to help the stomach heal ! With my consultant if I do anything to hinder that and he has to operate again Id have to pay for it again and the bottom line is I can't afford to.

TRY TO REMBER THAT ALTHOUGH YOUR EXTERNAL STITCHES MAY BE NEARLY HEALED YOUR INTERNAL HAVE NOT AND EATING SOLIDS CAN HAVE A DISASTROUS EFFECT ON YOUR RECOVERY XXXXXX

Good Luck Hun x

Thanks for you comments! Your last paragraph was an eye opener! I really need to keep that in mind because I can't afford to do that either..I think i'm slightly paranoid however lol but scared straight! Any Protein shakes you would recommend?

Had sx on 9/10 i too have cheated : (

Don't worry, no one here is out to judge or berate anyone else! We all know what it is like to be hungry and have a healthy appetite! As Angel70 said, the concern with solids at this stage is causing internal damage as your stomach is healing. The progression to solids is slow in order to ensure proper healing. I do think you should try, try, try to muster all the strength you can to stick to the stage your surgeon recommends whether it be liquids, pureed, or solids. It would be better to eat until you feel full on say liquids or pureeds (if that's what stage you are on) then to eat from a more progressed stage like solids. Is this making sense? I assume you are still supposed to be on the liquids stage?

My favorite Protein shakes are made from unjury Protein Powder. (www.unjury.com) I personally love the vanilla and the chocolate splendor. I mix one scoop with ice and skim milk and mix it in the blender. It is so delicious and keeps me feeling full. Once I progressed to the pureed stage, I began adding a banana to the vanilla and now it is even better! The key, in my opinion, for the liquids stage is finding a Protein shake that you really enjoy the taste of. Sip it slowly, and it should keep you full for a while.

Remember, when you have the band put in, there is normally no saline in it yet, so any restriction you may feel is from the stomach being swollen. Every person is different. Every body is different, so for some, there may not be any change in the prior appetite level. Just keep in mind that if you stick to the liquids phase, the first few days are very hard as your body adjusts to the drop in calories and to the change in what you are eating, however, after the first few days, the body usually adjusts and most find that their appetite starts to diminish. It takes a lot of commitment, and believe me, none of us here are going to say it is easy, but you can do it!!!

Best of luck and please, don't beat yourself up. Just start over and try again! It will get easier! :)

Thank you for your comments - they were very helpful and comforting to read! I will try the Unjury and see how that works out for me. This is really tough and i'm thankful for finding this website.. It's really helping me get through this difficult journey. I'm learning a lot here, that I didn't really learn from my surgeons or support groups. I just hope I haven't caused any damage and now I feel like I have to come clean to my WLS team about my recent habits.

Had sx on 9/10 i too have cheated : (

Today is a new day...

Hi Hun sorry for the delay in responding !! - I'm not a big lover of Protein Drinks either - Im from the UK. - so not sure if you have the same products - one if the things I do is to mix a bottle of Slim Fast with a spoon of a whey Proten powder ! - This doubles the consistence and i have one half for Breakfast and the other half for lunch. - That's 165 calories and 18g Protein each - Then I drink a bottle of protein Water which has 40g protein - That way I get 76g protein in by lunch time - Other than that I drink Soups and suck sugar free ice lollies x