Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

I am drinking the Atkin's Protein Shakes for Breakfast (1/2 a shake at a time) and trying to have a Soup or "full-solid" for lunch each day...usually about 1/2 to 1 cup at a time. For dinner last night I had some mashed potatoes and that felt really good. When should I quit with the shakes and Soups? If I am OK with mushies now, isn't that better for me? Any advice?

After reading the replies I realized that I made a typo...I meant "full-liquid"...like solid-colored liquid, soups, liquidy potatoes, etc...which is exactly what my doc said I should be doing. I guess it must have sounded pretty crazy to say solids...what can I say? If my biggest mistake 5 days after surgery is a typo then I must be in good shape.

I asked Dr. Spivak about my instructions several times because I noticed that they were very different than what I was reading on here, but he assured me that this is the plan he wants me on...other Spivak patients can chime in and back me up...

Dr. Spivak said to only do "liquids" for 2 or 3 days at the most and then move on to "soft" foods. For Dr. Spivak, a soft/mushy diet is recommended for 4 weeks and then a transition to a regulated diet of 3 solid meals a day. For soft foods, he recommended mashed potatoes, cooked soft vegetables, baked fish, etc... I don't think I am ready for meat yet, but the cooked mushy foods feel fine and I have not had any trouble.

I was mainly concerned that I am still drinking liquid meals for breakfast and was wondering if I should try to get off the liquids completely. This is because I am not a big breakfast eater and I am usually not hungry in the mornings...so it is easier to drink a shake. At any rate, I talked to them yesterday and they suggested that I try to eat a small scrambled egg this morning and chew it very well...which I did about 2 1/2 hours ago and I feel a lot better this morning than I have previous mornings.

Anyhow, thanks for the concern and the advice...It was just a typo and I promise I am nowhere near ready to try any real solids yet...just trying to figure out what degree of mushiness I need.

I know I haven't posted anything lately but everything has been going ok. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem...I was banded on May 10th in Houston, TX by Dr. Spivak and I wasn't able to wear a bra for about 2 1/2 weeks, the muscle my port is sewn to was so sore and it acually hurt to try to wear one. I recently went back to work last week. I know that everyone is different, but you hear everyone saying how they went back to work within days. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

Hello fellow May Bandsters,

Is anyone eating crackers? I have read posts about "whole wheat or whole grain" crackers but I am wondering if Triscuits are okay? Has anyone had success or trouble with a particular brand of cracker?

Thanks

Jessica

Hi all! I was banded May 16 and have had minimal issues (so far) I am however afraid to eat. I am on puree and I am afraid that I will eat to much of start eating and not stop....I know these are head issues, but they are really getting to me. I know I have to eat to loose but I am having a hard time doing it!

I spoke to seminole and we agreed to go ahead and start a new thread for our group for the month of June. Here's the link: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?p=233493#post233493. I will see about making our new thread a sticky to make it easier to find.

Hi all....just wanted you to know that we started another thread for the month of June. It's called May 2006 Band Crew ~ June Chat, the link is above. I will ask for this one to be closed so we won't have any confusion. You may want to copy/paste on the new thread of any posts you've recently made.

Hi

everyone hope your all doing well. I go for my first fill on the 1st July which will be 7wks post op. My scars are healing well but, I cant seem to feel where my port is. I know it is meant to be under the longest scar but when I lay flat I can not feel it, there doesn't seem to be any hardness under the skin which I would of thought I would of felt or at least there would of been a slight difference from the rest. Am I meant to be able to feel it?

Hi

everyone hope your all doing well. I go for my first fill on the 1st July which will be 7wks post op. My scars are healing well but, I cant seem to feel where my port is. I know it is meant to be under the longest scar but when I lay flat I can not feel it, there doesn't seem to be any hardness under the skin which I would of thought I would of felt or at least there would of been a slight difference from the rest. Am I meant to be able to feel it?

It's so weird I don't feel my port anymore either I go for my fill on June 19th 38 days post op not really even 6 weeks..starting to feel hungry at night lately:cry ..Deb how much have you lost?..I am so glad I had this done my world is changing as we speak..

Hi

I have lost a stone (must change my ticker) I am not restricted at all well at least I don't think I am, although I can tolerate the hunger a lot better than I use to and plus say no to naughty things. It is really stressing me out not being able to feel the port as I don't like needles and if they have to start hunting around looking for it I will panic. I will say I am so glad I went through with it.

Hey jane we are doing great Glad to hear things are well with you. We had our first soft meal memorial day. Baked sock eye salmon with baked sweet potato at our daughters. She was amazed at the small amount of food we consumed. Boy was it great.

The swelling has gone down but I am still having pain in my left sholder blade area. Not to bad but just enough to annoy. Anna knees don't hurt any longer. There is one side effect to the lap band that I love NO MORE SNORING:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Keep us informed.

papajoe & mama anna

hi anna and joe--hope your shoulder is better now, joe. i am so glad to hear your are doing good. no more snoring, huh ? maybe i should send my husband for a lap band--HA-HA !!

i have not weighed since being banded, and i will probably not go for a fill

until late july or so. talk to ya'll soon. :biggrin1:

hi anna and joe--hope your shoulder is better now, joe. i am so glad to hear your are doing good. no more snoring, huh ? maybe i should send my husband for a lap band--HA-HA !!

i have not weighed since being banded, and i will probably not go for a fill

until late july or so. talk to ya'll soon. :biggrin1:

hi heresdeb

If I lay on my back and to the side just a bit I can sort of feel my port. Its not directly under the bigger incision scar, its to the left of it. At least thats where mine is. It kind of gives me the creeps to feel it though so I don't do it, LOL Don't stress about not being able to find it - thats there job - they know exactly where it is. :-) Keep up the great work!

Deb in MN

Hi,

End of my third week post op so I weighed today. No weight lost this week. I am still on the losing side and didn't gain so I'm still happy.

I need to implement more excercise but have had pain on my port side in the evenings which makes me uncomfortable in varying degrees. The days I try to power through it and walk anyway I seem to pay for it the next morning. i know I am still healing so I am not giving myself too much grief about it.