Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded in 2011 and had lost 42 lbs, but now have gained it all back plus some. Has any one else struggled this bad?

I had lost 80 then gained 30 back. Old habits returned, but the bigger reason was that my doc over the last year was able to document that I had a leak. I just had my band removed and replaced.

See your doc, but in the interim consider giving yourself a jump start by going on a liquid diet. I was on liquids two weeks pre- and post-op which resulted in 20# of weight loss. That in itself has really motivated me plus it detoxed by body of the sugar and carbs and made me lose the cravings. I have gone to soft foods this week, but staying away from sugar and most carbs. I do feel better.

Thanks for responding, this is my first time on here. I have only had one fill and that was in January, my dr won't adjust me until I lose weight and learn how the band is suppose to help me. My last appt was in may and I was down 5 lbs, but there again no fill because I was leaving in two days for vacation. So I haven't seen him since. I am trying to lose weight before I see him again.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. It seems counterintuitive that your doctor won't fill you until you lose. That is what will help you not eat so much. Good luck in losing so you can get them; otherwise, I may consider seeing another doctor that is willing to help you. Yes, we need to do the work and the band is only a tool but as it seems you do not have the "luxury" of it being a tool for you.

Best wishes to you.

It seems positively ridiculous your doctor won't fill you until you lose weight. That's like telling a car that's on empty "I won't put gas in you until you drive a couple miles". It also bothers me he says you need learn what the band does- why the heck isn't he teaching you?

I would get into a nutritionist who works with bariatric patients. They can help you establish food guidelines to help you be successful. I would also strongly urge logging all your food between now and then, not only so you can see where your calories are coming from but so you can show the nutritionist and they can help you make healthy changes.

I would also remind your doctor you're the employer, he's the employee, and if he's not willing to do his job you can and will fire him in favor of someone more competent.

Best wishes to you.

I agree with Missy .

It sounds like your Dr doesn't know how the band works!!!

Bandsters have alot of responsibility for their weight loss success or lack thereof, so it's imperative for you to center your thoughts on what is different now versus when you first had your band placed.

What is different in your thinking today? Are you measuring your portions? How healthy are your food choices? Do understand the differences between authentic hunger and "head" hunger?

I agree with others who recommend using a food journal...many times we are surprised at what we are putting in our mouths without being aware of it...and seeing a dietitian who works with bariatric patients is definitely helpful...

The other, to me, equally important part is for you to refocus yourself on weight loss...and empowering yourself to regain control over your eating patterns. No one but you is there to monitor your choices 24/7.

Only you can make those changes...Best wishes...

I see these comments/topics a lot. You don't explain why your doctor thinks you aren't following the rules? Why did he say you need to learn how the band works? You're leaving out some very important data it seems?

I can see why some docs won't fill if a patient is eating slider foods, sugar/high carb foods and drinking band unfriendly beverages?

If you are following the rules he should give you a fill. But if you're misbehaving, maybe not?

tmf

I have to say I fell back into bad habits when I started eating on the run. I take responsibility of regaining the weight. I quit keeping a journal and measuring food. His reasoning for learning to use the band is " the band is to help you with your portions and you control control the food that you eat". I'm a grazer, which is some one that never really eats a meal but graps a hand full of this and that all day. So I need to learn to slow down and sit down to eat. Until I obey the rules and lose the weight I will not be getting a fill. I must say I have got a lot of inspiration from all of you that are doing wonderful. Keep up the great progress.