Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"stuck Episode" Best Thing To Do Is....

I have only had the (mis)fortune of being "stuck" one time. At that time, it was completely my fault as I was "testing" my band in a way I shouldn't have by eating meat that was too dry. After excruciating pain and panicking when I felt like I couldn't breathe, after several minutes, and a visit to the ladies room - it passed. Phew.

I have noticed many people have had their own experiences with being "stuck" and wondered how they handled it or if anyone has suggestions. Certainly, chewing slowly, small bites, avoiding foods that are likely to cause it are first and foremost; however, (in case it does happen) what did you do and what worked for you?

After reading several blogs and articles, I wondered if my trip to the ladies room was the wrong thing to do. I have read that you should lie down, drink liquids, etc. and avoid vomiting (which may cause a band slippage).

Thanks everyone!

This is a great question. I can't wait for the tips.

I had my first stuck episode recently too. Its was on a end of bread and was unpleasant to say the least! I started panicking! I thought I was to wake my husband up, I was in such a state. I drank some Water and it didnt work. I ran to the bathroom and up it came. Seemingly on its own. I dont really remember trying to get it up myself, I was so freaked.

I am not looking forward to doing that again. I did drink a bit of Water after my episode, as my throat was all scratchy and such from the incident. Then I just went and laid down for a while. I was fine when I woke up the following morning.

I cannot wait to see the other posts here!

I would think the Water might make it worse especially with bread! No?

In my experience nothing make a stuck food unstick.... But going into the bathroom and getting rid of it. and I do mean all of it so , usually standing up and leaning way over out will go it. If not the 2 finger throat tickle does it.. I am 4 years out and have had this happen lots of times, It is not scarey it just needs to be taken care of and then go on with your day. I know you are not suppose to vomit but I do not call bringing up poorly chewed food vomiting.

The one time I got in trouble and needed an unfill I had food that had piled up and I was bringing up food eaten 3 days before. If you are refluxing through your nose and can"t lay down you are in trouble. When in doubt after a stuck incident go on liquids for the rest of the day. A bit of Benadryl childrens liquid helps too.

I've heard that drinking Water is the worst thing you can do.

Mayasgram, what does the benadryl do?

In the past I have found the best thing for me is to try and remain as calm as possible and remove myself from everyone. It seems to help me concentrate on keeping my cool. And I walk...not fast but just getting up and moving around. It has taken as long as 20 mintues for food to pass. I will tell you that you learn VERY quickly when you swallow if its going to get stuck. You learn to listen and pay attention to your body. I would NOT advise anyone to throw up. I have and its terribly unpleasant and not to mention VERY exhausting.

Best advice...Remain calm, breath and get up and walk.

Good luck!

I agree with Theboysmom - I've had three stuck episodes. The first two, it was like - - is this what "stuck" is like? This last one, Monday, I was most definitely stuck. To me, it feels like the worst indigestion you could imagine. Mouth waters, and there's pressure like I need to burp.

I found that if I stop what I'm doing, get up and walk around a bit, the food passes after about 2-3 minutes, which feels like 2-3 hours. I tried drinking Water during one of my maybe-stuck episodes, and it didn't help but didn't hurt.

I would think the Water might make it worse especially with bread! No?

Most likely yes! Shame on me for trying the bread in the first place, but I was freaking out! I have such anxiety anyway and in my panicked state I grabbed whatever was at hand. Not a good idea!

Adding liquid of any form during a stuck episode will make it worse at least in my experience. For me up and walking around and waiting on it to pass is the only thing I can do.

I received a spiral notebook full of info from my insurance co. it said to mix 1 tsp of meat tenderizer with some Water to undo a stuck situation. I have tried it and it does work. no PBing cause it made the "stuck" go away, I don't know why this works but, honest it works!

I only have this a home, need to put a bit in my purse. mostly I eat very slowly when eating out. I do best when I am with others. We talk and that slows me down. I get into trouble if I waited too long and am hungry!

Over the past 3 yrs, I've found the only way out of a stuck episode to to throw up the food. But...I will say that got me into trouble. After throwing up about 3-5 times a week for 3 yrs, my band slipped. Still wreaking havoc on my band. I don't advocate throwing up at all. Haven't thrown up in a couple months now. I just make sure to eat much slower.

Marci

I have had the opposite experience with Water. I need the water to get unstuck...either it helps bring it up or washes it down...depending restriction level

I do not know what the Childrens Benadryl liquid does But my Dr has told me after every stuck episode to take it and I do and it works. Wondering what the thinking is with meat tenderize. If I am stuck if I drink some liqiud and then bring it up it is easier on my throat and I get all of it up.

I chew a couple of papaya enzyme tablets. I think this is probably the same remedy as the meat tenderizer, since the powdered tenderizer is derived rom papain, papaya.

But, my one and only really serious stuck episode happened about 4 weeks post op.

I was cutting corned beef for the family and very un thinkingly, put a piece in my mouth and swallowed!!!! Ugh, huge uncomfortable mistake.

Took about 4 hours and finally had to bring it up.

It taught me a lesson and it was awful. Not recommended......