Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Ever Feel Like You Haven't Lost Enough?

Tuesday will be 2 weeks post op for me. From the day I started the pre op diet (2 weeks before surgery), I have lost 21 lbs. So, that's 21 lbs in just under a month. I am proud of that........yet part of me feels like it's not enough. How do you get over that feeling? :wacko:

You don't , you just keep going.

Congrats on doing so well you should be pleased withyourself.

Really any loss is a good loss. Just keep going in the right direction. You can do it!

Congrats on doing so well! I think that we wld all be thrilled if a month after being banded...all our extra weight was gone :)

I am 6 days post op and was frustrated when I got home from the hospital because I weighed more than when I went in! I am sure that iv fluids and gas had something to do with that!

Good luck...you seem to be well on your journey!

Any loss is good... Some months you will lose more than

Others....but as long as you are losing its a good thing. Also depending on how much you want to lose it is really overwhelming to get your head around it. I had over 200 l s to lose so my dr suggested I take it ten pounds at a time.... I did ok with that but I am not a very patient person so often I found myself worrying about how much more I had to lose. Now 21 months out I technically have 13 lbs to my goal. But as I get there I am thinking about losing 10 lbs more than I originally planned

... Go figure!

I agree any loss is a good loss. I am really hard on myself and sometimes have to stop and think about it. I have lost 70 pounds in 4 months and that is an average of 17.5lbs a month. That's not too shabby but I think too much about it sometimes and I get down on myself for it. My wife had to hide the scale on me because I was weighing every morning and I was starting to get obsessive over it. I guess its because I am so heavy and have so much to lose. Instant gratification is what we yearn for but it just isn't realistic....

Its knowing when to stop losing weight that is important. In some way it would be easier to continue to lose weight as u still have a goal to work to, but when u reach goal, i found it harder to not have a goal there to work to.

I had 3 different weight goals and changed them everytime i hit one, but apart from wanting to drop a few lbs more i am done.. i am using the mirror now to gauge if i need to lose more, i dont think my face will take much more weight loss. U have to consider that our bodies have a mind of their own as to where we lose our weight from, so losing too much will also depend on where u are losing it from.

Thank you all for the responses!

Jim....I think that is the issue. I have SO much to lose that right now 21 lbs seems.....insignificant. My husband was cuddling with me last night and told me he can tell I am losing weight. While it was sweet of him, I honestly don't believe those words. I mean, with so much to lose, how can anyone tell a difference with just 21 lbs gone. That's just my mindset right now I guess. :(

Thank you all for the responses!

Jim....I think that is the issue. I have SO much to lose that right now 21 lbs seems.....insignificant. My husband was cuddling with me last night and told me he can tell I am losing weight. While it was sweet of him, I honestly don't believe those words. I mean, with so much to lose, how can anyone tell a difference with just 21 lbs gone. That's just my mindset right now I guess. :(

WOW you took the words right out of my mouth

Even though the scale says i lost 10 pounds, it sure doesn't look like it or feel like it. 10 lbs seems like soooooo little! I'm on only liquids and literally STARVING half the day. this is not easy work!!

We all want to wake up skinny, take that magic pill..... But what fun would that be? We would miss out on all those NSVs that we love so much. Enjoy the ride, it's going to be hard with lots of ups and downs. When you do get to your goal weight you'll look back thinking boy that went fast....

Your husband gave you a wonderful compliment, believe it IT'S TRUE! You are working hard at this and people will notice. 21 lbs is a lot of weight. Be proud of yourself.

Pick up four 5 pound bags of potatoes and tell me that is not a lot of weight to lose. You are doing fantastic, give yourself some credit. This is not an easy journey like a lot of people think. I hear people say that this is an easy way out of losing weight, NADA!! You still have to work at it and you seem to be doing really well. Pat yourself on the back and look forward to the next 20 pounds.

Wow! That is a wonderful amount!!!!!

Tuesday will be 2 weeks post op for me. From the day I started the pre op diet (2 weeks before surgery), I have lost 21 lbs. So, that's 21 lbs in just under a month. I am proud of that........yet part of me feels like it's not enough. How do you get over that feeling? :wacko:

why do you feel its not enough? who said? did the diet fairy come visit you and say that is just not good enough???

crazy woman... 21 pounds is super fantastic. oh my gosh. that is 21 pounds that is GONE. why stop now? you wont and you will keep adding those numbers until they get higher and higher. What you done is make yourself well. do not compare yourself to other losses. you are you and what you have done so far is wonderful. good going :) and you are a success right now.

You don't , you just keep going.

Congrats on doing so well you should be pleased withyourself.

Elcee hit it dead on. We were all heavy, still heavy, still trying to lose weight, etc. It's a battle that we will struggle with for a lifetime - the band doesn't take that away.

However.....the band helps us through our struggle. My way of looking at it is this..... I tried every stupid diet out there when i needed to lose 75lbs! I would try it, not like it, stop it, go back to eating like crap...or I'd try it, it would work for a bit, then i'd hit a plateau and get discouraged...and I ALWAYS gained all the weight back.

With the band.....I have not gained all of it back. Ya, I'm +/- 10 or so lbs now and then, but since my initial weight loss (230 to 175) I've only gained 10 of the 55lbs that I lost back (due to LIFE) ;)

Hang in there and take it each day at a time and look at the BIG picture rather than your current weight loss.

I also have swayed away from the scale so much, because I get discouraged when I look at the NUMBERS too much. Now, I rely on my body and how I feel and look to determine if I am being successful in my weightloss.

Good luck!! :)

we all tend to be hard on ourselves..it's just a fact of life. For me nothing will ever be good enough until I hit my goal. I dropped a 170 pounds in 19 months just to turn around and pack it all back on in 5 years time plus an additional 90 pounds. I went from 393 to 220 and 5 years or so later I was in the 480s.

Am I punishing myself? You bet I am.