Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I am pre-op and as I am self-pay it will be early next year before I can have the surgery done:think . My family members are planning to help me financially :clap2:. Thank heavens for a loving family! I am only 5 foot tall and have a rather large frame to go along with that. I weighed in at 327 pounds for my first appointment but have lost 3 pounds since. I am really looking forward to this journey and having the support of others in the same boat as myself. If I am not wrong I think my doctor my BMI was 63.1 . Look forward to checking out other responses to the posts on here.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/3;10704;104;0;0/c/-3/t/-192/k/6bc6/weight.png

Good luck to you nanniemidder. The journey is amazing and long but so worthwhile.

I too self-paid (not covered by any insurance in Canada and only a few provisional plans).

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

weight.png

[/ur

Good luck Nanniemidder

I am also pre op . Thankfully I have insurance covering the majority. I Started my journey in July and waiting to be scheduled.Hopefully late December early January

Ok uh... spent all last week in San Francisco area. Flew out on a Saturday, flew back home Saturday. Starting the first meal there I was TIGHT. Everything, and I do mean everything, that I tried to eat hurt. A LOT. Sometimes I'd be able to eat about 45 minutes after my first few bites, but for the most part the pain killed my appetite. Out of need to eat something I ended up pretty much living on Hummus from the local Whole Foods. The morning we left I had a very minor PB on a CROUTON off of DH's Breakfast casserole.

Scared to eat again before the plane left b/c I didn't want to end up PBing midflight. On the plane I ate a TINY bite of one pretzel over about 5 minutes because I was starving, but didn't feel safe eating. Even passed on the two fresh baked in flight Cookies. :)

Landed and drove an hour straight to the parents' - they were dog sitting for us. Mom had some buffalo chicken dip right out of the oven, so I took a bite, felt just fine. Starving at this point. Took about 3 more bites, still fine. They wanted to go out to eat so I ordered a cup of potato Soup. Did just fine. Nibbled on their wonton-like appetizer, did just fine. Few hours later had a small slice of Peanut Butter pie - did jsut fine. Did just fine all day yesterday.

I've taken probably 20 roundtrip flights since my banding in March. Three I've been so freaking tight the entire time I can't really tolerate anything other than Water or things that are the same consistency. The other times I've either been wide open, or it has come and gone... a day fine, then tight a few days, etc.

There's no rhyme or reason.

Uneblievably tight the first time was a week in Florida, literally didn't have a single meal without lots and lots of pain. The second time was a week in Illinois, I actually got stuck on Soup. This time was a week in California... so it's coast to coast. No pattern there.

I'm going to start getting serious about logging my travel problems in relationship to TOM. I get really freaking tight before TOM, and pretty wide open during... this last trip was a week after... so maybe there's some kind of weird connection there.

:confused: I was just banded last Friday, November 17th. I had lost 50lbs before the surgery in the four weeks before surgery. I was so excited about that weight loss, my surgeon said it was a record!

Recovery has been great...haven't had any hunger pains:clap2: and I am adapting to the Liquid Protein diet very well. So far I have not missed food, by the way, did I mention I have alot:faint: to loose. I started at 481 and I am now 431. I haven't weight since the surgery, so I am anxious, but I am going to wait until Friday, my week anniversary.

I never had any pain from my wounds, just the port was sore. I slept in my bed the first night and have ever since. My sister flew in from Colorado and cleaned my whole house and painted my kitchen. I am so grateful to her. She has given me a great new start in my life and my house.:clap2: So if you want to chat please give me a shout...I can use the support. Thanks for listening...

Carole from Texas ;):P

:confused: I was just banded last Friday, November 17th. I had lost 50lbs before the surgery in the four weeks before surgery. I was so excited about that weight loss, my surgeon said it was a record!

Recovery has been great...haven't had any hunger pains:clap2: and I am adapting to the liquid Protein diet very well. So far I have not missed food, by the way, did I mention I have alot:faint: to loose. I started at 481 and I am now 431. I haven't weight since the surgery, so I am anxious, but I am going to wait until Friday, my week anniversary.

I never had any pain from my wounds, just the port was sore. I slept in my bed the first night and have ever since. My sister flew in from Colorado and cleaned my whole house and painted my kitchen. I am so grateful to her. She has given me a great new start in my life and my house.:clap2: So if you want to chat please give me a shout...I can use the support. Thanks for listening...

Carole from Texas ;):P

WOW Wheetsin you are a traveling fool. Traveling is one of my goals once I have lost a substantial amount weight.

thompson632 great job!!! I am so excited for you and your next weigh in. Keep it up!!!! That was really sweet of your sister.

I'm so glad there is a thread specifically for me, a big girl!! It is wonderful to have others in the same boat as me. I was banded just shy of 2 weeks ago and I have about 200 more pounds to lose. It seems like such an impossible task but you all are an inspiration to me! :biggrin1: I look forward to taking this journey with everyone here!

Denise

Teresita - most of it is for work. I'm a virtual employee, kind of - so I work here in Missouri, but my team is based in Illinois. Let me say how incredibly awesome it is not to have a boss in the building, let alone in the same state. LOL There are two others in the same situation as me, in Florida. I love the arrangement, but the downside is that it requires a substantial amount of travel... seems like every month or two I have to go to either IL or FL, and for a while this year it was every other week. I don't go all the time, but frequently enough that the hotel staff in both places know me by name. And occasionally somewhere else for a conference, or training, or what have you. The few trips that are left over are ones for me & hubby. ;)

I wasn't quite super size but i was BMI 48 veryging on 49 when i had my band fitted in May 2005. I am now BMI 45 verging on 46 and i can say i am totally dissheartened by this whole process.

its been a jurnery full of set backs and complications and i have now reach a stage were i just want it out.

Hey Muggle I hope you had a nice thanksgiving. I saw in another thread where you therapist is willing to back you up in a revision. I hope that works out well for you.

:phanvan Hi Muggle and I am so with you....disheartened. I knew I needed more restriction and it took six weeks to get an appointment. I was so depressed throughout the six weeks and ate. Put some weight back on. Got a huge fill (I am now at 9cc out of a 11cc band) and I am doing okay...not great. As my surgeon is about to go into the port he says "you know the lap-band doesn't work for some people". Great. I didn't need to hear that. Why don't we discourage me. :cry Bypass is not an option for me b/c of other life circumstances. So my heart is with you!!!! Motivation?? Ha!!

Hang in there!!! :help: :help: :help: :help:

Ruthie