Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is 5.5 Cc Alot To Have In Your Band A Yr Out

My doc tells me i have quite a bit in my band and she don't really want to give me anymore fills. She will give me fills she just tells me everytime i have quite a bit in my band and she discourages it. i feel like i am close but still not quite there. For example i ate a 6 inch sub loaded with vegies yesterday just had to wait a little in between bites and a small bag of baked lays. sometimes i eat less but i still feel like i am eating way more than most people with the band. and am not losing very well.

My doc tells me i have quite a bit in my band and she don't really want to give me anymore fills. She will give me fills she just tells me everytime i have quite a bit in my band and she discourages it. i feel like i am close but still not quite there. For example i ate a 6 inch sub loaded with vegies yesterday just had to wait a little in between bites and a small bag of baked lays. sometimes i eat less but i still feel like i am eating way more than most people with the band. and am not losing very well.

I've had mine for 5 years and only have 2 ccs... I wish my doc would pump me up. They stress no bread, no bread, no bread. Does your doctor say you can eat bread or discourage it?

I was successful at first but gained all of the weight back. I'm pretty sure I have the old band that will only hold 3 ccs.

I am surprised you can get a sub roll down with that much fill in your band. That would get stuck for me regardless how slow I ate it. I can eat toast slowly but soft breads like a sub, hamburger roll would give me a hard time. 5.5cc is a bit but I don't think that is extreme at all. I have 7 ccs in mine and I am finally in the sweet spot. I got 5cc at my first fill alone. I am however a very large person.

Every Doctor is different when it comes to these things. Are you losing weight? Are you feeling hungry between meals? These are some of the questions I get asked when I go for fill appts. Before my last fill I would get hungry after about 3 hours and now at 7ccs I can go about 4.5 to 5 without getting hungry. My appetite has dropped to pretty much nothing. Head hunger seems to be gone as well.

I have a 5.5cc in my 10cc band. There is no way on heavens earth I could even eat the bread...I could probably eat the innards and no chips. Everyone is individual in what they can get through their band. I'm fairly restricted now but need a small fill.

weight.png

It depends on the size of your band. What size band do you have?

And yes, you are eating too big a portion. We should be eating no more than 1 cup of food per meal total. Just because you can eat more than that doesn't mean you should. Also, there is a difference between being satisfied and feeling stuffed full. The band is supposed to make us feel satisfied, no longer hungry, and stay that way for 4-5 hours. It's not supposed to make us feel stuffed full, like we just finished a seven course meal. Granted some people physically can't eat more but even then the full sensation isn't like we experienced before being banded.

So, you might want to go slow, eat only a cup of food, then ask yourself "am I satisfied? am I no longer hungry?" If the answer is yes, despite the fact you can still physically eat more, then you do have restriction.

my band holds 10 cc. I know about the bread thing. I am a yr out and had good restriction up until about 2 months ago and had counted bread out totally at one time. but now can eat bread with very little issues. I don't know what is going on but i am ready for it to be like it was when i didnt even think of food. i also havent been losing weight the last 2 months i havent gained either (which is good). i had an issue where i had some taken out because i was waking up choking on my own saliva (which was scary) but the thing with that was i lost weight and was able to eat about a1 cup of food(which i had never been that restricted) at a time i thought i had good restriction other than the fact of choking when i layed down. I havent had a fill since then, but really feel i need one.

I was banded on 4/17/12 and I have 5.2ccs in a 10cc band with another fill scheduled for mid August.

my band holds 10 cc. I know about the bread thing. I am a yr out and had good restriction up until about 2 months ago and had counted bread out totally at one time. but now can eat bread with very little issues. I don't know what is going on but i am ready for it to be like it was when i didnt even think of food. i also havent been losing weight the last 2 months i havent gained either (which is good). i had an issue where i had some taken out because i was waking up choking on my own saliva (which was scary) but the thing with that was i lost weight and was able to eat about a1 cup of food(which i had never been that restricted) at a time i thought i had good restriction other than the fact of choking when i layed down. I havent had a fill since then, but really feel i need one.

With that said perhaps you ask the Doctor to check the over all health of the Band. Perhaps you have a leak in the Band, tube or port and the band has deflated some if not all.

Your band is just a little over half full. I know people with 8cc or 9cc in a 10cc band.

You might very well need a small fill because your stomach does shrink as you lose weight and the fatty layer around it slowly disappears.

Jim my band was checked because i was worried about that when i all of a sudden stopped losing and didnt have as good restriction so we started doing small fills until i had to get that very tiny unfil dr said she didnt take very much out at all not even the full last fill before taking out. i just hope i can get back to the way it was or better when i was losing good. the thing is i see alot of people on here saying they only eat 1 cup of food, i have always been able to eat more than that in fact my dr wants you to eat more than that, she said that just isnt enuf. but every dr. is different.

Good to know it was checked. I can eat more then one cup of food as well. In fact last night I had a 4oz boneless chicken breast, 1 cup of salad (lettuce, cucumber and a bit of onion) and 1/2 cup of broccoli. It took me a while to finish it and I wasn't stuff to a point of discomfort. I was satisfied. I don't worry too much about the 1 cup thing as long as I am choosing the right foods and the scale is moving and I am not hungry between meals.

My doctor wants me to weigh Protein and does not give me instructions based on volume. I would agree to that subs are probably not the best choice. I did not get restriction until 10.6 CC. Please note however that even at restriction I can eat bread. I choose not to.

Please note however that even at restriction I can eat bread. I choose not to.

Yup and that said the Band is not supposed to actually prevent you from eating food but rather it is to help you determine when you've had enough.

Jean McMillan wrote a great article about restriction and it has helped me a great deal. I have a link to it in my signature under the ticker. I reference it quite often as a reminder.

i know its also about choices i cant always be perfect. i am working on this but it is harder now then the first several months following surgery my dr said that was the "honeymoon stage". i will keep trying though i am not done losing!!