Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Did You Do With Your Clothes?

I'm wondering what others did with their clothes once the couldn't werthem anymore? I am moving out of the size I have been for a loooong time and have no idea what to do with them. Right now I have piles of clothes, all over my house, with no place to go. Storage tubs aren't even an option becuse i already have 8 in my basement with winter clothes in them (and most of that stuff I'll need to get rid of as well).

Honestly, I have invested a small fortune in my clothes and just can't bring myself to take them to a thrift store or some other place like that (in my experience, the people who need to be sopping there rarely benefit fom good deals and the people who can afford to go out and buy the stuff at regular price, "strike gold" and ****** I all up!). I hope this isn't coming off in a negative or selfish way...I have given trash bags full of clothes to people in the past because I knew they needed them, but this time around, I didn't know anyone like that.

I am so excited that my clothes are too big, but I guess in a way I'm more attached to them than I thought. Any suggestions you have would be grately appreciated.

sometimes people have Plus Size yardsales in my area. its a place that people can go to get good clothes in their size. of course, you would only be getting a fraction of the money you paid... but at least it would be something. or you could try consigning or selling them on craigslist/ebay?

I bagged up my clothes and put them on the curb.. Then I posted a FREE ad on CL .. They were gone within minutes.

There are about 15 ladies at work that are at various stages of the lap band process.. We are setting up a clothing exchange.

I was thinking going to thrift store, though I've never been before. I honestly don't feel like shelling out a small fortune on transition clothes. I say donate them to the store and be done with it. Someone who finds them will be very happy.

I posted on this forum and found a wonderful girl that I sent 50 lbs of high end clothes to. She was thrilled and I felt great giving her the gift of nice clothes to wear as she herself shrunk!

On the forum page, towards the bottom, there is a Clothing Exchange category.

My doctors office has a clothing exchange.

My doctor's office lists info on a clothes swap.

Personally, our town has a thrift store that's sole purpose is to employee mentally and physically challenged adults. That is where my donations do the most good. Check it out of Facebook if you're close to middle Tennessee: Our Thrift Store. I know the founder and this truly is his calling and it is an amazing thing!

I was a shopaholic at Coldwater Creek. Even had tags still on a bunch of suits I had never worn. I let my Grandmother, Aunt and cousin have a first go at them all and then made sure there was someone in my Grandparent's church who could utilize them.

I'm only in the beginning stages with my band but I plan on doing consignment with my clothing and using that money to buy other clothing from the consignment shop so I don't have to spend a fortune getting transition clothing.

I would give them to my sister to take to her church. I have lost 170 lbs so I have gone thru a BUNCH of sizes. From 30/32 to now an 8/10. I bought most of my clothes at the Salvation Army but every time I got a wardrobe, I'd shrink and have to start all over again. I just had an abdominoplasty and in August will have the breast lift with implants, so I'm hesitant to start buying new clothes again. It's a lot of work but so much fun!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Unless your clothes are couture and you can sell them for a lot of money consignment give them to goodwill/salvation army. I found that 20% of my clothes really needed to go to the dump anyway.

Thank you for all of the ideas...it has helped me a ton! I think I'll look into donating my clothes to place where people can really benefit. Big girls deserve to feel good about what they're wearing, even if they can't afford to buy it for themselves...right?!