Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Stuck Or Too Tight??

Ok guys heres my situation: Abt two months ago I got a tightening which finally gave me enough restriction to really start losing weight. before that I had only lost 20lbs since being banded in january. Anyways I feel like in the past few weeks I may have gotten even tighter if thats possible... I can no longer eat much in the mornings, and when I do, it ruins my whole day because anything I eat the whole day keeps coming up, and I slime a lot. I am scared to loosen up because I don't want to go back to losing really slowly, yet I don't know if I can continue like this. Is there anything I can do to help myself without loosening? am I just too tight? the wierd thing is that at night sometimes I can really eat a lot (not fast, but if I take my time I can consume large portions...)

If anyone can sort all of this out and make sense of it, I would be really grateful!

Sounds like you are too tight. You can often get increased restriction a couple of weeks after a fill and that sounds like what has happened for you.

You will have much better long term success with slower weight loss. I know, I know, I want it all gone now, too. But it took me years to put it all on so it's going to take time to get it all off.

I strongly recommend that you go and get a slight unfill before you start to develop any further issues. In the long run, you will be healthier and happier.

In the morning the band is tighter and is probably what is causing you to get stuck. Try Protein shake or eating a little later so the band has time to loosen a bit. lunch should then be easier, but watch dinner time so you keep to the healthier smaller portion sizes and don't overdo it.

If waiting doesn't help and you can't do liquids either, I'd say you need a tad taken out.

What's an example of the foods you are eating? You say you can eat a lot at night, a lot of what?

What are you eating for Breakfast and what makes you slime during the day?

tmf

Many people at restriction can not eat solids at Breakfast. I have the following: Chobani Greek yoburt with fruit 0/2% depedending on the flavor, 2 tsp benefiber, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey isolate Protein powder, splendra to taste mix these together; then add1/3 cup Kashi Go Lean high Protein Cereal, and if you want a couple walnuts (they are a good fat and do have protein). I mix this in the single serving cup to prevent me from adding to much Cereal or nuts. Kind of makes for a mushie/solid. High in protein and I can go 4 hours plus. If you PB on this you are too tight. My band is tighter in the morning than it is at night.

I make sure to weigh my protein and not have seconds. I fill the void with low fat/cal veggies.

If you are indeed to tight getting a very small unfill is the best course of action. People who fall back on Protein shakes or mushies long term GAIN weight. The band is meant to work with solids.

My doctor told me all about this and I forgot a couple days later.. In the mornings the band is tighter. I figured that out after I ate a bite of egg. Try liquids. I drink milk in the mornings. Your band may be to tight or it may not be. Are you taking your time eating? I count mu bites to 20-30 times then swallow and wait about a minute for the next bite. Im the most hungry at night also I feel almost no restriction! Just try taking it slower and ye liquids in the mornings. I also can only take about 4 bites of food and I'm full for about four hours. How many cc are in your band?

Thank you everyone for your input. This morning I tried to stick with only liquids. I had a tiny bit of Snapple and although I didnt pb it kept going up and down and I was burping on it (I get that a lot with Snapple) then I tried orange juice and it went right down... I'm wondering if Snapple is an issue?

Its hard for me to pinpoint what I usually eat in the morning because I try a little bit of anything. Like I might have 1 or 2 crackers, or a bit of dry cereal, some yogurt, or a mini potato puff. The other day I had a bit of fat-free sugar-free ice cream and couldn't keep it down even though its normally a slider food!

also at night if I drink anything before bed I simply cant go to sleep because I feel it and I keep burping on it and it goes up and down a lot.

I am thinking of getting a 1/4 cc out as many of you suggested, but I am still puzzled as to why the band should get tighter with time. I thought it would get looser as you lose weight!

Sometimes, if the band is too tight, the extra pressure of foods expanding the pouch and pushing through the stoma can irritate your stomach right at the band site causing some edema which would cause you to be tighter, but it is odd that it's happening so far out from your fill?

tmf

Even on me in the morning a Protein shake moves slow! I can't eat or drink a shake unitil my band decides to wake up as I call it.

try a hot beverage in the morning will help to open you up if you need to, I only do that in the week after a fill.

I have found IF I try to push something through or have an issue in the morning I have residual irritation for the day. I would suggest maybe giving the band a rest with liquids or stuff like cottage cheese etc in for a couple of days to let it settle down..

ON the Snapple issue even before I was pre banded that stuff regular or diet made me acidic..not sure what is it but it doesn't agree with me. I do not know of any food allergies either that I might have.

Also you said you eat dry Cereal, or a potato puff or some crackers, it could be the dryness that is causing you an issue then the fluids/yogurt on top of it is causing you to dam up.

If you can put away alot in the afternoon then I would think that your restriction is fine, you might just have things you can not eat in the morning, if you can eat them later in the day.

But try the hot tea/coffee warm it up, followed by a Protein Shake or yogurt see how that works..

I also do not take pills or eat anything right before bed because it can sit there. Take some Water before going to bed to help wash anything down..

I will try these suggestions and see what happens in the next day or 2. thanks for caring and sharing!