Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LAP band to bypass....?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. LAP band to bypass....?

• Yes, I would have the band removed and have the bypass done.
    • Maybe, I have thought about removing my band and having a bypass.
    • No, I would not remove my band and have a bypass.
    • I am unsure because I have not given the band a chance to succeed.

I was just curious if anyone has considered removing their band and having a bypass done. I know that the surgeries are two totally different things and the band is a tool, but for some it has proven more difficult than they had originally thought.

I would like to see how many people have actually thought about it.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thankyou!

Never, i will do it!

I love my band. My friend have the bypass surgery in July 2005 he lost till now 120 pounds.......but now he's getting injection. 3 kind of injection one that i can remember is for Calcium, but right now he really suffer.

I know that NOT everybody have that problem. But No i will stay with my band.

Banded 11-08-2005 286

03-06-2006 235

The only reason I would remove my band is if something happened to ME. I know there are many sad stories on here about slippage and erosion, but I know the percentage is small. So far so good with me.

IF for some reason I did lose my band, I would have some other form of WLS at the time of removal. I refuse to be 300lbs again.

I was just curious if anyone has considered removing their band and having a bypass done. I know that the surgeries are two totally different things and the band is a tool, but for some it has proven more difficult than they had originally thought.

I would like to see how many people have actually thought about it.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thankyou!

There is a brand new surgery going to be hitting the states within a yr. (if something should go wrong with the band) where they staple the tummy with endoscopy. No scars and no healing time. I wish it was available now, but it isn't. Everyday they are coming up with new weight loss techniques, so don't worry about it. Get your band and be happy before you make major changes to your body.

Yes, I've thought of it. Especially when my weight loss was slow... or when I wasn't losing as much as I thought I should post-pregnancy. But, usually once I asked myself if i was actually using my tool... and realized I needed a new fill... then i knew that until i truly used the band it wasn't time to consider different surgeries.

Going into this surgery, I accepted that I may need a different surgery later on. That the Band might not work for me (due to my dietary habits).... that there could be complications. But now that I'm a Mom, it would be much more difficult to go in for more surgery as I would worry about my kids. With my Band, I was single and unmarried... so other than my cat, no other dependents.

In my questioning phases, I've emailed Dr. Gagnier(?) in NYC who has written about doing a DS with a Band... so I've explored that arena. I've spoken to Dr. Rutledge about a Band to MGB conversion. I think i would probably choose one of those surgeries and not an RNY if I ever needed Bariatric surgery again. (Leaning towards the MGB based on his long-term results and lesser complication rates... but who knows what (if anything) I'd chose if faced with that decision.) I don't think I'd do the endoscopic stomach stapling just because of the long-term results of the VGB and stomach stapling from past years. Didn't seem to work long-term for most.

Having said all that, the Band was the right decision for me at the time. I would not go back and change that at all. All WLS can have complications/issues... but the beauty of the Band is that if it fails you, it can be easily removed (relatively easily) and you're left with your stomach and intestines intact. With other surgeries, that is not the case. Revisions from RNYs and DSs are very complicated surgeries with much higher complication rates. I"m happy with my Band... and my weight loss.

Peace.

I thought of it seems you lose weight alot quicker with it. A girl did have the band swithched to rny and she looks great no complications with her but who knows I'm not to quick for more surgery anytime soon although the band is harder than rny because of the absorption factor I guess its a personal matter but I have thought of it too.

The Lap Band seemed to be a dream come true option for me as I was so frightened at the thought of the gastric bypass. In my case the band has turned out to be very expensive due to fills... unfills... fills... unfills... testing... hospitalizations to find out what is wrong... more fills...more unfills... more testing... and here I sit... no fill and gaining weight at an alarming rate. Yes... if I had it all to do over again... I would do the bypass. THis being said... the band can be a wonderful and effective WLS... it just hasn't worked well for me.

There are lots of doctors who won't do conversions from lap top to gastric bypass, but even more that refuse to do lap banding after bypass has failed, and fail it will. Not immediately, but three years down the road. That is when all the stops are pulled out and we become desperate for something else. A lot of docs say no, and then agrain there are those just concerned with the "money" issue. If you have the money you can get anything done.

My clinic does revision from RNY to add the band. They know that this works for some folks.

I have found my surgeons very compassionate and caring.

Some folks do very well with their RNY, it is all about learning to lead a new lifestyle. I really think successful long term results come from lifestyle changes, and of course many RNY folks will learn the new lifestyle.

I just worry about people who've been banded who don't lose like they should, not because of a band failure, but because they have metabolic issues. I know that lots of people are not as patient as I am and would have converted to something else by now. I know in my heart of hearts that if I'd converted to a malabsortive technique that I still wouldn't be losing any weight.

but even more that refuse to do lap banding after bypass has failed, and fail it will. Not immediately, but three years down the road. That is when all the stops are pulled out and we become desperate for something else.

Dody, what do you mean by this??

I know that you certainly must not mean that all bypass will fail, but that sure is how it sounds, huh?

I guess if I were stereotypical I could make the same remark about the band, seeing that I had to have mine removed, everyone probably will. Right?

"after bypass has failed, and fail it will" This is ridiculous. This isn't even a which surgery is better post, yet you have managed to one handedly curse all bypassers to failure within 3 years. I'm sure for every one person that "fails" with bypass there are probably 10 or more that have had success. Stop Generalizing, OK?

-Offended xbanded Duodenal Switch BYPASSER

come see me in 3 years

I should have stated that from my own personal experience in dealing with people who have had bypass surgery I've seen them all gain 3 years down the road and stretch out the pouch. There are probably some successes out there, but I haven't seen any yet. I certainly didn't mean to offend you. I'm glad you are happy with your DS revision. I know nothing about that surgery at all, but wish you the best. I probably should not have put all bypass patients in the same boat for sure. If you know of people 3 years out that have kept it all off by all means that is is wonderful to know.

I had a friend from high school have RNY. She wanted to lose 70-80 lbs and ended up losing 120+

She actually gained weight to GET the surgery and then lost to a very very unhealthy weight and was hopsitalized then had to recover because her body kept losing.

She has kept a healthy weight in the past 2-3 years, but for awhile there her body just didn't work with her - that's a main reason I decided to the Lap Band since it's adjustable and can be removed.

[Dody]I should have stated that from my own personal experience in dealing with people who have had bypass surgery I've seen them all gain 3 years down the road and stretch out the pouch.]

For me bypass was not an option. When I heard about the band, I did my homework and continued on until I found a doctor. It has been a slow process but now that I look back, I am so happy for every fall I've had with the band, I would do the band again.

Dody--I know at least 6 people who have had the bypass surgery and only 1 has maintained her weight over the last 3+ years. Most of them are dealing with other health issues because of stretching their pouch and not really caring about themselves. I look at them and I wonder why they went through all that and then not do right.;) Most of them don't have energy and suffer with so many Vitamin deficiencies, but I still wish all of them the best and I try to talk to them about their decisions but it just doesn't register. Anyway, they added to my reasons for not considering the bypass surgery. My sister is having the bypass later this summer and I want to see her succeed more than anything but she just can't seam to change her way of thinking. She believes this surgery will be the cure to all and I'm trying to let her know that she must do her part. Anyway, just my opinion.

In my thread I had said that bypass fails in about 3 years. I got chewed out for it and didn't mean to speak for everyone in that situation. I offended someone on the board by stating I didn't ever see any good and lasting results of bypass and this person took it personally. I just wanted to clarify that I am speaking only from my own experience, but I do agree with you 100% that from what I've seen I would never want bypass surgery. Anyway, it's not for me either, but everyone is entitled to their own options. For a few on here the lap band hasen't worked from some reason and they needed to convert to another type of weight loss surgery. I hope everyone on every journey succeeds in obtaining a healthier lifestyle, but I personally didn't want to suffer the malabsorbtion issues and some of the other problems. I have a friend that had bypass and she looks sickly. She is also gaining weight back and stretching her pouch out. I like the fact that even with the problems that can occur with the band most or all are reversible. Thanks for your input.