Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LAP band to bypass....?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. LAP band to bypass....?

• Yes, I would have the band removed and have the bypass done.
    • Maybe, I have thought about removing my band and having a bypass.
    • No, I would not remove my band and have a bypass.
    • I am unsure because I have not given the band a chance to succeed.

In my thread I had said that bypass fails in about 3 years. I got chewed out for it and didn't mean to speak for everyone in that situation. I offended someone on the board by stating I didn't ever see any good and lasting results of bypass and this person took it personally. I just wanted to clarify that I am speaking only from my own experience, but I do agree with you 100% that from what I've seen I would never want bypass surgery. Anyway, it's not for me either, but everyone is entitled to their own options. For a few on here the lap band hasen't worked from some reason and they needed to convert to another type of weight loss surgery. I hope everyone on every journey succeeds in obtaining a healthier lifestyle, but I personally didn't want to suffer the malabsorbtion issues and some of the other problems. I have a friend that had bypass and she looks sickly. She is also gaining weight back and stretching her pouch out. I like the fact that even with the problems that can occur with the band most or all are reversible. Thanks for your input.

Dody, Making a blanket statement like "bypass fails in about 3 years" is generalizing. By generalizing you have included every bypass patient. I didn't chew you out, I called you on it, because you do this way too often. And you said you know nothing about my surgery but myself and another have explained it to you several times, you even stated you were considering it when you were not so sure about the band. " For a few on here the lap band hasn't worked" -if you are implying me, my band worked fine and I lost over 100 pounds, I had a medical issue that rendered the band useless. As a DS'er, I don't even have a pouch to stretch out. And from what I have seen, You can't get a bypass because of your heart bypass, at least that's what you said.

Dody said "There are probably some successes out there, but I haven't seen any yet."

Oh, my God. I can't even believe you said this. Have you gotten out lately?

I look at them and I wonder why they went through all that and then not do right.;) Most of them don't have energy and suffer with so many Vitamin deficiencies, but I still wish all of them the best and I try to talk to them about their decisions but it just doesn't register.

Because they are human, and addiction is a terrible thing to fight alone. About talking to them about their decisions, have you seen http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?p=189660#poststop

It talks about bypassers trying to talk a bandster out of banding. I guess it would go the same way the other way, with bandsters trying to talk bypassers out of their surgery, too.

Kind of like telling someone you are having lunch with " I wouldn't have that roast beef if I were you. You won't like it, it won't sit well, and my brothers wife knew someone who ate it and died".

Kinda silly, huh?

I wish your sister wild success.

Dody, Making a blanket statement like "bypass fails in about 3 years" is generalizing. By generalizing you have included every bypass patient. I didn't chew you out, I called you on it, because you do this way too often. And you said you know nothing about my surgery but myself and another have explained it to you several times, you even stated you were considering it when you were not so sure about the band. " For a few on here the lap band hasn't worked" -if you are implying me, my band worked fine and I lost over 100 pounds, I had a medical issue that rendered the band useless. As a DS'er, I don't even have a pouch to stretch out. And from what I have seen, You can't get a bypass because of your heart bypass, at least that's what you said.

Dody said "There are probably some successes out there, but I haven't seen any yet."

Oh, my God. I can't even believe you said this. Have you gotten out lately?

Dody, I hate to be part of a 'gang-up' on you but you've done it to me too. I actually kind of cringe when I see you've posted because I'm always afraid it's going to be negative. If you don't stop snapping at people, nobody's going to want to play with you and the sandbox is going to get pretty lonely. ;)

If you don't want to offend people but you still are, maybe it's time to preview your posts or figure out how to say what you mean without it sounding like an attack. Just a suggestion, meant in the nicest way possible.

I personally have no experience with either...but I would suspect that if you fail to lose with the band....you will likely fail to lose with a bypass surgery.

You can overeat and underexercise either one if you read up on both boards....I studied both extensively before deciding that neither were right for me.

And from an uninvolved bystanders point of view...I don't think what Dody said was as heinous as some of you are making it.

People generalize.....all the time.

If you get wound up every time it happens....you will have a long and unhappy life.

One thing that is guaranteed to work...is to eat less than you burn and exercise helps that tremendously. How you accomplish that is up to you.

YMMV.

I'm not sure what brings BPM here - but I am not banded either -- and quite frankly - I listen every day and gather info about the band - have various reasons (Medicare, finances for fills, etc) why I am not banded - but I have been embraced by a great group of folks who encourage and cheer me on daily - so that is why I am here - even without a band :)

This is my 1st night to be on this site.My friend who had gastric bypass told me about it because I was looking into weightloss surgery.I have only 67lbs to lose and this post is interesting and it very argumentative.My friend who told me about this site had gastric bypass and has maintained her -200 lbs weightloss.I am speaking from my own personal experiences and I have been to her support groups .Noone there downed the lap-band patients,ds,and vbg who were also in the group.Most people there were 2-8 years out and only 2 RNY people out of about 38 were struggling with their weight.I would have to disagree on your homework and maybe you should just be happy for all weightloss surgery patients.Wish them success.You should support others and all weightloss is mental and is hard work.No matter the surgery.This post is full of opinions and not medical facts.THE FACT IS WEIGHT NEEDS TO BE OFF AND MAINTAINED.Remember that and try to not judge other weightloss patients or wish them failure.Remember we are all in this together no matter what surgery.To lose weight and become healthier !

MoOrLess...

But the difference, from what I gather of you, is that you WANT the band, and are technically 'pre-band'. You're here researching, like most of us did, before banding. He doesn't want the band... so I wonder, why would you want to be part of a support group for 'Bandsters".

Sorry to hijack the thread, but he brought up a 3 month old thread anyways.

lol - old threads/new threads -- hijack away! .....I haven't decided against it 100% but then again I am choosing not to get it at this point in time - so I'm not so different - at least I don't think so....

I'm not sure what brings BPM here - but I am not banded either -- and quite frankly - I listen every day and gather info about the band - have various reasons (Medicare, finances for fills, etc) why I am not banded - but I have been embraced by a great group of folks who encourage and cheer me on daily - so that is why I am here - even without a band :)

Ditto. I came here researching the band...and I was quite close to choosing it as my option but after reading numerous posts of people overeating the band I realized that even with the band you still need to be mentally strong.

I think I was looking for a magic wand that would just do the work for me...and I think all would agree that nothing is capable of that...at least not without a price.

The time I spent researching here......attached me to the site. I like it and many of the people here are very inspirational to me. No matter how we are accomplishing the goal.....we are all after the same thing so we can all relate to each other.

That's why I am here.

MoOrLess...

But the difference, from what I gather of you, is that you WANT the band, and are technically 'pre-band'. You're here researching, like most of us did, before banding. He doesn't want the band... so I wonder, why would you want to be part of a support group for 'Bandsters".

Sorry to hijack the thread, but he brought up a 3 month old thread anyways.

I didn't bring up the thread...someone else must have voted in the poll which brought it to the top of the forum....I thought it was new.

Argon...I may be taking your posts wrong......I do that from time to time....but do you have an issue with me posting here or you in fact just curious?

BPM - sounds like we are both in the same boat - so to speak....researched, researching, and made great friends here who support us on our choice of weight loss :) just like we support those who have the band, had the band or are in the process of getting the band

the way I see it - we are all 'in the process' of losing weight - one way or another :biggrin1:

BPM - sounds like we are both in the same boat - so to speak....researched, researching, and made great friends here who support us on our choice of weight loss :) just like we support those who have the band, had the band or are in the process of getting the band

the way I see it - we are all 'in the process' of losing weight - one way or another :biggrin1:

Ditto...I still may end up banded some day...I haven't completely ruled it out but I am more determined this go around than ever before. Something just clicked in my head and I said I can do this on my own....I am pretty confident I can do it.

If I knew how to 'quote another post I would -- duh - sorry --

I am exactly the SAME - I don't rule it out completely either but at this time we ARE losing way - one day at a time!