Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LAP band to bypass....?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. LAP band to bypass....?

• Yes, I would have the band removed and have the bypass done.
    • Maybe, I have thought about removing my band and having a bypass.
    • No, I would not remove my band and have a bypass.
    • I am unsure because I have not given the band a chance to succeed.

Argon...I may be taking your posts wrong......I do that from time to time....but do you have an issue with me posting here or you in fact just curious?

No, no, I don't. I really was just curious. I've seen you post elsewhere, but never heard you say that you had decided the band wasn't for you. I should have looked at your first posts when you were researching, before I asked. :doh:

And really... would it matter if I had an issue with it? :)

Anyways, congrats on your loss so far!

No, no, I don't. I really was just curious. I've seen you post elsewhere, but never heard you say that you had decided the band wasn't for you. I should have looked at your first posts when you were researching, before I asked. :doh:

And really... would it matter if I had an issue with it? :)

Anyways, congrats on your loss so far!

Cool...no it wouldn't matter :heh: I guess I was a bit defensive. It seems as though some on here will tackle you to the ground and try to force you to believe that their choice of Weight Loss method is the right way and me choosing to forego the band I thought that might be coming. No hard feelings I hope.

Dody, I hate to be part of a 'gang-up' on you but you've done it to me too. I actually kind of cringe when I see you've posted because I'm always afraid it's going to be negative. If you don't stop snapping at people, nobody's going to want to play with you and the sandbox is going to get pretty lonely. :)

If you don't want to offend people but you still are, maybe it's time to preview your posts or figure out how to say what you mean without it sounding like an attack. Just a suggestion, meant in the nicest way possible.

Wow, I am so sorry you or others were offended. I believe I posted this about bypass a very long time ago, and didn't mean it the way it sounded at all. I've been going through a horrible time with a girlfriend who had bypass and is gaining weight back. I should NOT have judged all by her results and I apologize. I'm so sorry you "cringe" at everything I say, because I have tried very hard to be nice to everyone.

Please find me one post where I EVER considered bypass surgery, because I didn't. My cardiologist would never have allowed it for medical reasons, and I never thought about it.

I will try very carefully to word things so that they don't aggravate anyone, and thought I had learned a long time ago to do some. Is there some recent post I've made that is bothering anyone...please let me know. This was a very old post, and you are right, I definitely should not have made it sound like all bypasses failed or all lap-bands work. Again I apologize and will try and be much more careful.

I am now banded and need the support of this forum and will in turn try to be supportive, so please overlook the misrepresentation I made here. I would greatly appreciate it. I should never have made a blanket statement, and again apologize, especially to you Donna who seemed really offended. After re-reading I can't say I blame you, so please fogive. I have not even thought about bypass or posted about it in a long time. Whatever works for anyone is fine with me. I try to be extremely careful with what I post anymore and be supportive of everyone. I don't think there are any recent posts could be construed as negative in any respect. If so kindly point them out to me.

You are swelling on a post from early June when I was unfamiliar with a lot of things. It is now the end of July and time to let things go. You can only apologize so many times.

Thanks and God Bless,

It doesn't matter what the WLS is. Some people will lose the weight, and some won't. Some will do it fast, some will go turtle slow. Some will overcome the battle of head hunger, while others lives will continue to be consumed by the comfort of eating.

Generalizations are just that. They don't include or exclude anyone.

It all takes work. It takes diet, it takes exercise, and it takes some kind of determination or discipline - to want to NOT be fat, more than to want the food.

3 years or 50 years from now, we'll all still suffer from food addiction,

on some level. So I just feel bad for everyone, that this is what we all suffer in life from.

I personally didn't see anything wrong with what Dody said.. I think some people are wearing their feelings on there sleeve. I thought we were all adults? Are we not? Who cares if Dody think all RNY's fail? Its HER opinion!!

If everyone in the world thought the same way it would be an awfully

BORING world... That is why there are choices....

I am here for support, and I am sure that is why everyone is a member of this board. We all have something in common, we are addicted to food. Does that mean we will ALWAYS agree? NOPE not likely, but this high school BS of ganging up on someone in publis is crazy. Ladies we are not 16, lets act like it.. Now if I offended anyone, ask your self why? If You are one of the ones I offended then all I have to say is, get over it, Put on your big girl panties and grow up.

Ok now on to the poll. If any one cares, I personally don't think RNY is for me. I am scared of it because I have seen so many failures. If my band does not work I am hoping there will be other options. Like the pace maker that is in triles now for the stomach. It is placed by the hyopothyamus and sends signals to it which in turns tells your brain you are full.

I am terribly excited about my band (2 days) and I am confident it will work for me!

One more thing, I have enjoyed this board more than I can say. The friendship I have made are priceless along with the support I get from everyone here.. I have said my piece, everyone have a great day!!!!

My sis had GP & lost weight but not all. A friend of mine also had GP..lost a lot in the first year and is now at a standstill. My Doc did both of their surgeries....he told me that GP patients only lose weight in the first year...it is critical to lose in the first year because after that, the weight loss efforts slow down because the stomach has stretched and is larger than it was when they came from surgery. Banding however only allows you to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week, hence weight loss is seen into the 4th year out. GP was not an option for me because nobody is cutting thru my stomach ulesss I have cancer. Scar tissue in GP can also be a problem. I want to lose the weight slowly so that I don't need any tucking...plus they cut a part of your stomach away that does the absorbing. My sis lost a lot of hair--grew back but I can't afford the hairpieces! My doc trained in California with Carnie Wilson's doc who is a founder of the GP surgery. That is all the credentials I need. He also went to Pittsburgh to train with the lap band inventor (he came up from Austrailia to train.)

So you have to be general when you talk about this because you can't be specific because GP does not affect everyone the same way, just like banding has affect all of you differently. (so, can Dody really be ganged up on for making a generalization? It would have been far worse had she been specific-which who really can anyway?) The whole point of these boards is to learn, and to hear things that make us go hmmmm...is good.

I am having lapband done in 3 weeks, and i am now getting afraid. My insurance does NOT pay at all. I have saved and saved to have this done. I now read that it does not work too much of the time and it will cost me a lot more. Very discouraged!

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Sounds like you are getting jitters, and rightfully so, surgery is no laughing matter. Who is telling you lapbanding doesn't work most of the time??? They seem misinformed. Just read these posts........everyone is losing. (with the exception of the really rare)

You may want to talk to your surgeon again. The lap bad does its job, its up to each person to make changes in thier habits to make it work for them. All the lapband does is makes a sort of holding cell for the food until it can go into the big stomach...it won't cut your cravings (i saw this on another post). Make sure you read thru more posts, there are some wonderful success stories out there!!

Wow, I am so sorry you or others were offended. I believe I posted this about bypass a very long time ago, and didn't mean it the way it sounded at all. I've been going through a horrible time with a girlfriend who had bypass and is gaining weight back. I should NOT have judged all by her results and I apologize. I'm so sorry you "cringe" at everything I say, because I have tried very hard to be nice to everyone.

Please find me one post where I EVER considered bypass surgery, because I didn't. My cardiologist would never have allowed it for medical reasons, and I never thought about it.

I will try very carefully to word things so that they don't aggravate anyone, and thought I had learned a long time ago to do some. Is there some recent post I've made that is bothering anyone...please let me know. This was a very old post, and you are right, I definitely should not have made it sound like all bypasses failed or all lap-bands work. Again I apologize and will try and be much more careful.

I am now banded and need the support of this forum and will in turn try to be supportive, so please overlook the misrepresentation I made here. I would greatly appreciate it. I should never have made a blanket statement, and again apologize, especially to you Donna who seemed really offended. After re-reading I can't say I blame you, so please fogive. I have not even thought about bypass or posted about it in a long time. Whatever works for anyone is fine with me. I try to be extremely careful with what I post anymore and be supportive of everyone. I don't think there are any recent posts could be construed as negative in any respect. If so kindly point them out to me.

You are swelling on a post from early June when I was unfamiliar with a lot of things. It is now the end of July and time to let things go. You can only apologize so many times.

Thanks and God Bless,

Dody,

I assume that your entire post was not directed to me as I had nothing to do with the revival of this old thread. I agree, it was a long time ago and should have been allowed to drift away from current lapbandtalk circulation. Unfortunately once you've posted on LBT, no matter how your particular perspective, feelings, and circumstances may have changed, or how much time has passed, that post is still out there just waiting to be revived - or hurled at you.

I'm not offended or angry. I wasn't then and I'm not now. Your recent post, however, is very typical and a perfect example of why I posted at that time; i.e. I did NOT say that I cringe at everything you say. What I said was:

I actually kind of cringe when I see you've posted because I'm always afraid it's going to be negative.

which is not the same thing. At the end of that paragraph I put the appropriate smiley-face emoticon so you'd be able to see I wasn't upset or being snarky. I even ended the post by saying I meant it "in the nicest way possible." I don't know how else to imply my post is meant to be read in a friendly 'tone of voice.'

The rest of my post still applies:

If you don't want to offend people but you still are, maybe it's time to preview your posts or figure out how to say what you mean without it sounding like an attack.

Furthermore, I think there would be fewer opportunities for you to be misunderstood if you would consider what a post is actually saying before paraphrasing it. When you rearrange what other's have said and state the paraphrase as if you are quoting that person, you risk raising their ire.

Dody, congratulations on being banded. Best wishes for success to you. BTW - what are you thinking even TRYING to swallow pills? lol (It's a joke people) Everyone tests the boundaries but I hope you'll wait until your body has completely healed before testing any more of them - you REALLY don't want to PB at this stage.

Now, TO THE POSTER'S WHO ARE UPSET by someone - myself included - defending their position, this IS an open forum. If someone feels as though their words and/or intentions are being misconstrued, whether it is intentional or not, it is that person's right to restate their opinion and express their feelings on the subject. THAT is what makes an open forum open. No one should have to feel as though they are being censured without the right of appeal.

Time to move on.

I am doing as instructed by my dr. and cutting pills and not crushing them. I take an extremely tiny pill, Toprol XL, which should never be crushed. He said if I have no problem taking them he has no problem. I guess everyone should listen to their own dr's. advise. I have also been moved to mushies. I hope that is alright that I'm doing as told. I still get very full with less than a cup of anything. I've had absolutely no problems so will continue along with the dr's. advice. It's what I'm paying him for. I'm sure not giving anymore about RNY to lap-band. The subject is closed for me.

Donna, my entire post was of course not directed at you. I just wanted to set the record straight that as of today, this moment, I don't care what anyone chooses to have whether it is RNY, DS or lap-band. Whatever they choose is their personal choice and I should not even have given an opinion on it. It was a bad day...a bad day for a friend who had RNY...and I guess I voiced more than I should have. With that being said this subject is dropped for me, along with colon cleansings and cheating :)

Take care.

Have a great day.

This may sound corny but I am so proud of myself and how I have done with the band. I made the changes, I do the exercise, I feel as if it is me doing the work and I have a helper.

The amount of satisfaction I feel to have finally beaten my problem is the biggest high I can imagine. I just cannot think that I would feel the same way after a bypass, after I'd done something so drastic to my body. I believe I'd be sad and depressed that I let myself sink to such a terrible low that I had to resort to that.

Please dont anyone be offended by that. My logical rational mind knows that no weight loss surgery is an easy way out and I have nothing but respect for people who do choose the bypass.

Trying to not be offended by that backhanded compliment.

I will agree you deserve to be proud of yourself because it is alot tougher to lose with the band. You said you had nothing but respect for people that had the bypass, but what kind of respect is "I'd be sad and depressed that I let myself sink to such a terrible low that I had to resort to that?" That is total disrespect.

I'm sorry, but that is a horrible thing to say. Did I sink to a much more terrible low than you because I choose a different surgery? I don't think so. I think I did what I had to do to get it done. I have never known you to say such a thing before, and try as I may, I AM offended.

Ouch.

Jachut, who usually shoots straight from the hip (which I appreciate and admire), shot from below the belt this time. Again . . . Ouch.