Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Months Post Op And Not Losing!

This is so damn frustrating! I am 6 months out and I thought for sure I'd be at least half way to my goal. I started at 286 and now 258. I hardly eat carbs,( breads, rice, etc) I absolutely don't drink any carbonated drinks. No cokes or beers. I don't excersize and don't drink as much Water as I should but I thought giving up carbs would be enough : / I hate it when people ask me if I've lost anymore weight bc it's almost as theyre just confirming it bc they can tell I haven't lost much weight. I recently lost insurance and now I can't get fills which Is ok bc I think I actually have a decent restriction. I also have hypothyroidism and I take meds for that. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any advice? Please help ! My goal is 170 lbs and have a lot to go : /

Keep a food diary if you aren't already. After a week or so take a look at it and see where you can/should modify things.

Did the docs tell you your medicine or thyroid condition may affect your weight loss?

Keep a food diary if you aren't already. After a week or so take a look at it and see where you can/should modify things.

Did the docs tell you your medicine or thyroid condition may affect your weight loss?

They said "slightly" have you heard of any situations where they didn't lose bc of thyroid problems?

Thanks in advance!

If I don't keep a food journal and count calories I do much worse even when I think I'm not. I would recommend trying MyFitness Pal and log your foods. Be sure to weigh and measure portions before logging bc when we guess we tend to be way off. That is merely my suggestions. I would also talk to dr about another fill.

I agree with everyone who said keep a food diary! This really makes you realize how many calories you are putting in your body and can make a huge difference!

Yup I agree with the others, keep a food diary. I use Lose It, it syncs between my PC and my android phone.

Smaller portions aren't enough if they're loaded with calories and/or fat. Most people are truly shocked when they start logging what they eat. It will really help you see problem areas.

Exercise will help a lot too - even if it's something as simple as walking around, it will change up whatever your body has gotten used to and be better for you in the long run. That does sound frustrating, I second everyone else about the food log - and if you're like me and prefer hand written there's some really great ones on Amazon.com that I've ordered a few of and I'm loving ;)

I'll pile on. food log definitely. Then, see a nutritionist. This is very important. At 3.5 months I had only lost 12 lbs(all the first 2 weeks). I sat down with my nutritionist($40) and she noted that there was about 250 calories a day I was consuming that had no nutritional benefit. I compromised and went back to 2 lattes a week, no beer and a couple of other indulgences. 250 X 30=7500 fewer calories per month. That's 2 extra lbs lost. I ramped up my exercise routine and have now lost 25 lbs in the last 3 months.

You admit you don't exercise? In my opinion, that's a must. But you can't out-train a lousy diet. See a nutritionist. It's worth every penny if losing weight is at all important to you?

btw-at 6 months I was only down 32 lbs so it's not too late.

tmf

Hi-

I want to say to you that I hate to exercise too but if you start walking each day and get into a regular exercise program -you will loose "inches" in your body. I started my exercise program in January and I really hated it :angry: until I found the exercise program that I find now "a little enjoyable" :rolleyes: because I know this is the only way with my band that I be able reach my goal weight. You can read my profile that will give you a little more insight about my journey. Also, you might want to measure out your Protein on a scale. I found that I was eating way too much from a food scale. I purchased mine from K-mart and it was under $20.00. Don't loose it-some people take off the weight slower-keep on trying different things to get those pounds off. Best of luck to you,

Annette :)

the body will get sued to whgat you are doing- you must move around and switch the foods and cal intake, or you will not lose, Because of weight loss my dr just reduced my thyroid meds, I am hypo- and losing weigth is always an issue, but time for body change,,, cause I am in the plateou!

If I don't keep a food journal and count calories I do much worse even when I think I'm not. I would recommend trying MyFitness Pal and log your foods. Be sure to weigh and measure portions before logging bc when we guess we tend to be way off. That is merely my suggestions. I would also talk to dr about another fill.

I agree 100%

the body will get sued to whgat you are doing- you must move around and switch the foods and cal intake' date=' or you will not lose, Because of weight loss my dr just reduced my thyroid meds, I am hypo- and losing weigth is always an issue, but time for body change,,, cause I am in the plateou![/quote']

I'm glad I found someone who also has hypo thyroid ism and has lap and. Have you lost much weight since you had your surgery ?

You definately need to exercise, that goes along with this. I don't like it either but make myself and feel so good afterwards. You will see a hug difference!

I have hypothyroidism and have done well so far. I haven't lost weight in the past couple weeks, and it all comes down to me and some bad eating I've been doing. I have to be honest with myself about what and how much I'm putting in my body and pull in the reins. I also walk on a nature trail most days of the week, total distance 3 miles. I find I can listen to my favorite radio station and walk and I enjoy what I'm doing. I'm looking into finding a strength training class, I wil probably do aqua class a few times a week.

As for the thyroid problem and weight loss, I have read if you are properly medicated, then your body is getting the proper hormones and your body should be operating like someone without a thyroid problem. If your numbers are out of wack, it can be hard to lose. I don't know though, there seems to be so many differing opinions about if the thyroid is really the problem in weight loss. I would say it is, but I'm no medical doctor.