Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just A Few Random Questions I Put Together...

Hello everyone, :)

I was banded on June 13, and I am currently 5 days post op. I just keep getting these random questions in my head and figured who better to answer them then my fellow lap banders!

1. Is there any specific foods you can't eat because you can't tolerate them? (not because they aren't good for you)

2. Very random, and may sound stupid, but can you do all the rides at amusement parks, I mean before the band my tummy use to feel all funny (in a good way) so just wondering because I love park rides!

3. After reaching your goal weight, have any of you thought to either completely unfill your band, or have it removed voluntarily to avoid future issues? (erosion, slippage etc)

4. Is there something I should be asking that I am not, or something that you never thought about that you couldn't or weren't able to do?

5. Is there anyone who didn't have to get a fill ever? I mostly see people with anywhere from 4-6 fills, and I am self pay and that cost just freaks me out.

6. After getting a fill, how long are you on the liquid diet again?

7. As of now it is very painful and uncomfortable to cough, let alone throw up, so anyone who has vomited is it painful, or just how it use to be before getting banded. I am terrified of throwing up!

8. What exactly is a PB, I know it stands for 'productive burp' but what does that mean?!? :blink:

9. What is slime or sliming? Sounds nasty. I would be so embarrassed if that happened at a restauraunt...I think? :mellow:

10. Is there anyone else who only had around 50-55 lbs to lose? At what rate did you lose your weight? And what was your diet and exercise routine?

I think that is all I can think of right now! Thank you fellow bandsters! :D

Great questions! Wish I had some answers, but I am about the same as you. I have about 50 lbs. to lose and I would appreciated the answers to your questions. I had band the 30th. I am having a fill the 26th. I have only lost 12lbs., but I can eat anything so my band must be empty. I hope, after the fill, that I will have some restrictions and lose more weight. I had the hernia repair, also. This has helped tremendously with the Gerd and nausea. Dox

1. Is there any specific foods you can't eat because you can't tolerate them? (not because they aren't good for you) Yes, Pasta, breads, thick crackers and dense food. I have a hard time with boiled eggs, the stalks of broccoli or any veggies that are under cooked. I haven't tried eating bread since my surgery.

2. Very random, and may sound stupid, but can you do all the rides at amusement parks, I mean before the band my tummy use to feel all funny (in a good way) so just wondering because I love park rides! I plan to!

3. After reaching your goal weight, have any of you thought to either completely unfill your band, or have it removed voluntarily to avoid future issues? (erosion, slippage etc I was thinking about removal before surgery but not now.

4. Is there something I should be asking that I am not, or something that you never thought about that you couldn't or weren't able to do? Ask as much as you want. This forum is awesome and everyone here is more than happy to help and support you! I can't think of anything I can't do other than eat too much which... was my problem all along.

5. Is there anyone who didn't have to get a fill ever? I mostly see people with anywhere from 4-6 fills, and I am self pay and that cost just freaks me out? I'm self pay and I just considered the expense of the fills as part of my surgery. My doc is a little different than most. He only wants to do 2 or 3 fills in my life time so I'm ok with that. I'm losing slow but that's ok as long as I'm losing. I'll get a fill when I've lost more and don't feel any restriction and then I hope to lose the rest and maintain. From the time of surgery until you first fill is what many call "Lap Band Hell." It's a time for healing not losing. Which is exactly what I did. By the time I was able to get a fill, I was more than ready!

6. After getting a fill, how long are you on the liquid diet again? I didn't follow it very well but 2 days.

7. As of now it is very painful and uncomfortable to cough, let alone throw up, so anyone who has vomited is it painful, or just how it use to be before getting banded. I am terrified of throwing up! I haven't been sick yet but understand the concern.

8. What exactly is a PB, I know it stands for 'productive burp' but what does that mean?!? :blink: I think it's when you burp to help the food go down but I'm a newbie too. Anyone?

9. What is slime or sliming? Sounds nasty. I would be so embarrassed if that happened at a restauraunt...I think? :mellow:? I should know but I don't.

10. Is there anyone else who only had around 50-55 lbs to lose? At what rate did you lose your weight? And what was your diet and exercise routine? Yes, me. I'm losing very slow but I have to remind myself that slow is good and at least I'm losing. My diet is pretty normal. I try to eat at least 3 meals a day and not eat too much. I focus on getting lots of Protein. Exercise isn't my strong point unless you think of house painting in 108 degrees as exercise :) Yes, Arizona is HOT!

Hope my answers help. There are so many helpful people on this site! You'll get tons of help and support here.

Thanks scorpiolady! All your answers are much appreciated :) You have lost 12 of the 50 pounds you need to lose and I think thats amazing! Can't wait to start losing. Right now I feel like a swollen pumpkin :rolleyes:

1. Is there any specific foods you can't eat because you can't tolerate them? (not because they aren't good for you) None. I can eat most meats as long as I make the bites small and i chew adequately. bread can be a problem if I wolf it down. But nothing that is totally non-tolerable.

2. Very random, and may sound stupid, but can you do all the rides at amusement parks, I mean before the band my tummy use to feel all funny (in a good way) so just wondering because I love park rides! I hate amusement parks!

3. After reaching your goal weight, have any of you thought to either completely unfill your band, or have it removed voluntarily to avoid future issues? (erosion, slippage etc) Maybe unfill one notch!

4. Is there something I should be asking that I am not, or something that you never thought about that you couldn't or weren't able to do? Are you kidding? Look at your list?

5. Is there anyone who didn't have to get a fill ever? I mostly see people with anywhere from 4-6 fills, and I am self pay and that cost just freaks me out. Yes, not me, but I've seen some who didn't but it's rare. 6 fills for me.

6. After getting a fill, how long are you on the liquid diet again? Just 48 hrs for me.

7. As of now it is very painful and uncomfortable to cough, let alone throw up, so anyone who has vomited is it painful, or just how it use to be before getting banded. I am terrified of throwing up! I've never thrown up and I fear it too.

8. What exactly is a PB, I know it stands for 'productive burp' but what does that mean?!? :blink:A PB is a burp that includes some foods that may have become stuck in your pouch. You want to spit this crap out.

9. What is slime or sliming? Sounds nasty. I would be so embarrassed if that happened at a restauraunt...I think? :mellow:When you eat too fast or get some food stuck your body secretes a lot of mucous that looks like the slime you may have seen in Ghostbusters. It's there to help your food pass through your esophogus and band but with we bandsters the slime can back up into your upper sphincter and bubbles up into your mouth. Spitting this out will help reduce the pain of being stuck. Swallowing it again will only increase the pressure in your pouch and can be very uncomfortable. I slimed at Carrabas last night and had to go into a bathroom stall for 5 minutes to spit up the slime and some bread I had consumed. Yes, it's gross.

10. Is there anyone else who only had around 50-55 lbs to lose? At what rate did you lose your weight? And what was your diet and exercise routine? I have about 75 lbs to lose and I've lost 37 so far. I lose an average of 6-8 lbs a month now that I'm in the green zone. I don't count calories but I'm aware of how much I eat and I keep it around 1200-1400/day. I exercise heavily. Cycling about 60 miles a week and working out in my gym 5 days a week with a very intense 20 minute workout each time.

4. Is there something I should be asking that I am not, or something that you never thought about that you couldn't or weren't able to do? Are you kidding? Look at your list?

Haha, I guess I was pretty thorough, for the stage I am at right now. ^_^