Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Members Being Banded In March 06

What is the pain like right after surgery.?
I have a high pain tolerance, but I can tell you what it was like for me.

The day of surgery - it hurt to move any which way. My best description was that it felt like something was pulling, but also like I'd been kicked hard in my abdomen. Not unbearable, but enough to make sitting down a good idea. Once I was sitting, I hardly felt any pain. The Lortab elixir really helps. Anything heavy on the abs, like sitting up/down, bending, etc. was very sore, but bearable. I'd say my highest pain was a 4 on a 1 - 10 scale, and that was definitely sitting up from the recliner.

Day after surgery - more sore than the surgery day. Same kind of things hurt, just a little more -- but again, not unbearbale. I was able to shower & dress, walk around, etc. The majority of my pain is coming from 2 of the incisions. Pain still around a 4.

2 days after surgery (today) - feel MUCH better. I was able to get in bed this morning - it was so nice to get out of the recliner. Slept like a baby for a few hours. Pain really is minimal today. I showered, got dressed, and DH drove me to GNC to get some Protein powder, then we went to Target so I could get some more broth, more Vitamins, etc. and I made sure to do some extra walking. The more I walked, the better I felt. After coming home from the walking, I could sit down and get up with very little soreness. The worst pain today came when I was struck with a little episode of hiccups... man that hurt.

Anyone else going through that second guessing stage?

I had a dream last night I was banded. I dreamt I was surprised I could lay on my left side with my cat. My cat Sam DEMANDS that I cuddle him with his head on my pillow and I have to be in a spooning position with my arm under him, which requires I lay on my left side. (If I don't do this, he taps on my head with his paw all night until I do)

I also dreamt I drank something at normal speed and THEN remembered I was banded and began to panic, waiting for the PB pain to commence.

Leenerbups I am really in the second guessing this morning. Been sitting here crying all morning. I am so afraid of failing again. I have a great support system of family and friends. I'm just so afraid of disappointing them and myself if I fail. I have so many times.

I really want to have this surgery, but I'm really scarred too.

Just 8 days and a wake up to go.

I am second guessing too. Wondering if this will just be another failure ( an expensive one!). I have to believe that I will beat this. 4 more sleeps

I was having some anxiety about surgery the other day. I wouldn't classify it as second guessing, because I never really thought of not going thru with it.

I was just freaking a bit, about how my adjustment to a new way of eating will be and if people will notice something is up with me (I didn't tell any of my friends or co-workers that I see most often).

I went to get my pre-op testing at the hospital that I will get my surgery. They have a huge bariatric program there. That day..I ran into so many people who have had the surgery and were so happy AND SKINNY!! It was just so good to see and very reasuring for me. Since then I no longer really worry about failing again and am determined to be just as sucessful as they are ( I'm just very competative)

Of course I still have some anxiety about the surgery itself---Oh and thank you for letting me know how post-op pain would be!!!

:clap2:

Only 3 days away! I'm getting excited! Except for starting the whole Clear liquids thing. I think that I'll start tomorrow so that I won't have it so bad doing all the pre-op stuff the night before...I have to drink magnesium citrate. 'Nuf said. Anywhoo. Good luck to everyone else this month!

I do have a question for someone if they might know. I'm a law student and I'm going to have 11 days of recovery time before I start school again after spring break. Will I be ok to do this??? No one at school knows I'm having this done so I really don't want to have to ask someone to carry my books. I usually carry a bag that weighs about 50lbs with a laptop and books.

Thanks for any help in advance!

:) Kristin

298/261/140

Leenerbups...

I spent a few days last week in a severe panic attack. I could hardly breathe, my chest hurt, my mind raced. Haven't done that in AGES! I think it's perfectly normal. Now, I'm settled again and okay. Just stages we go through. But...I truly think it's normal and we'll be fine!

Congrats to everyone. I, too, will be banded on March 13th by Dr. Fielding in NYC. I have 120 lbs. to lose. I've had my gallbladder out which is similar but I am still somewhat nervous about the surgery. Luckily, I met someone through LBT that had the same doctor and surgery. I know this is the right thing for me because I desperately need something to help me keep the weight off. No more yo-yos for me!!!

Hello all ... I am new, this is my first post ... i'm from dallas area and i am scheduled for my band on march 27 with Dr. Bryce .... i am so excited i can barely contain myself !! i am not having any second thoughts about the actual surgery just nervous about being on a liquid diet for 2 weeks before and 3 after ! and i have a 6 month old at home so i'm a little worried about post-op pain and being able to care for him at home. But other than that ... i'm ready to go !!! Good luck to everyone !!!

Hey all! So glad to know I'm not alone in this and with these feelings. I am worried about the liquids but they say you probably won't be hungry. I hope that is the case.

7 more sleeps!!

Countdown 7 until totally different way of life! :-o

LegallyKristin,

I also have to carry many books, materials and laptop in my job at school. I bought a small rolling suitcase. It is wonderful, and I'm sure will help after my surgery in April. 50 pounds isn't good for anyone overweight to have to carry. Especially after surgery, though!

Good luck!!!

Three more days. :clap2: I can't believe it is already here. Im not really scared, I am excited though. I know i will be ok. I have a great support group that has taught me so much already. Think positive, soon we will never see this weight again. WE CAN DO THIS!!! :eek: :eek:

i'm scheduled for the end of the month.

start the pre-op diet next week.

how is everyone staying healthy?

avoiding colds, flu, etc.

I'm getting banded tomorrow. I live in Athens Greece & I'm getting the band here.<o =""></o>

I didn't have to do a liquids-only diet; my doctor gave me a fat free diet for 2 weeks (but I cheated - I only started it 9 days pre-op :eek: )<o =""></o>

The past week has been difficult. My anxiety levels are very high. Part of it is the actual surgery (I've never had an type of surgery before) but the biggest part is fear for what comes next. I don't know if I can cope with the lifestyle change, post-op requirements, I don't know what to do to not sabotage myself in this last (and expensive) effort... and possible complications absolutely terrify me (maybe I should stop reading the complications forum).

I’m supposed to go back to work next Monday & I hope it’s enough time!