Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Prior To Surgery?

Sign in to follow this  

I jumped on the scale to give me motivation. I lost 5 lbs since yesterday! Which is good because I was about to cave. Now I have the motivation to get me through this day. I don't expect to lose 5 lbs everyday but it's a good start.

Pre op diet is aweful, but it's temporary. There is an end in sight.

on day 5 of an all liquid diet, 3 protien shakes a day and cream Soups yogurt and sugar free pudding. not to be crude or anything but has anyone had problems with gas on the protien shakes and what can be done about it?

I have been using Protein Shakes for a few months as part of my 6 month diet. I swear I could blow away the entire town! lol Recently I started using Metamucil 1x a day (liquid form mixed with Water so it helps me get my Water in) to help keep me stay regular, it hasn't been a cure all but it seems to help reduce the gas a little. Sorry if that was TMI but I think that is what we need from each other!

Thanks Gottobeme, thats what i needed to know

So how is everyone doing? Things have been too quiet here lately! Is everyone super focused on their pre-op diets?

I'm afraid to get on the scale in fear I haven't lost anything.

I'm pretty good at avoidance.

Ok, I'm really losing my mind. I post something and once it posts everyone else's stuff shows up. Not sure why.

1. smmrsue! That's awesome! Guess I should get on the scale. I think about you taking some lady down for her skittles all the time now. Makes me laugh :)

2. Gas? OMGoooooooooooooooooodness! Try being a hairstylist with gas. NO BUENO! I test each Protein I buy to make sure it doesn't give me gas. Some do, some don't. No idea why either but I remember slimfast being one of the worst ones out there for that.

3. I need to stay focused. Thank you each for helping me do just that.

Thanks Scorpiolady!

I am so glad the wise women took her skinny self and that blasted skittle bag away from me. The temptation was great. I hope you weighed yourself. Did you? It all got better for me after the scale. I steer away from food just in case. Day #3 isn't too bad so far. It's definitly a day by day battle. I just think of my liver, or look at a fat pic of me, or hop on the scale. It all helps.

How is your diet going?

So far my pre-op diet is going fine. Its really hard fighting temptations. My doc has me doing Protein Shake for Breakfast, a light lunch with low fat/sugar and Protein shake for dinner. I know im suppose to stick to that but at night i get a little hungry so i snake on no fat yogurt with 20g of protein with slices of mango or snack on radishes, bell peppers, tomatoes, or celery. I'm thinking they have no fat and fill me up. Is this considered cheating? Other than that im sticking to my diet and lost a few pounds. 10 more days till my surgery April 4th.

I know they say the pre-op diet is to prepare our livers for the surgery but has anyone thought it might also be the prepare us for the weeks of liquids AFTER the surgery as well.

I'm 7 days and counting now. This week is going to fly by! No dinners out, not social settings, just working and drinking my Protein.

EXCITED!!!

So far my pre-op diet is going fine. Its really hard fighting temptations. My doc has me doing Protein Shake for breakfast, a light lunch with low fat/sugar and Protein shake for dinner. I know im suppose to stick to that but at night i get a little hungry so i snake on no fat yogurt with 20g of Protein with slices of mango or snack on radishes, bell peppers, tomatoes, or celery. I'm thinking they have no fat and fill me up. Is this considered cheating? Other than that im sticking to my diet and lost a few pounds. 10 more days till my surgery April 4th.

As far as whether it's considered cheating, I'd probably call and ask just to make sure it's okay.

I'm 7 days and counting now. This week is going to fly by! No dinners out, not social settings, just working and drinking my Protein.

EXCITED!!!

You are almost there!

So far my pre-op diet is going fine. Its really hard fighting temptations. My doc has me doing Protein Shake for breakfast, a light lunch with low fat/sugar and Protein shake for dinner. I know im suppose to stick to that but at night i get a little hungry so i snake on no fat yogurt with 20g of Protein with slices of mango or snack on radishes, bell peppers, tomatoes, or celery. I'm thinking they have no fat and fill me up. Is this considered cheating? Other than that im sticking to my diet and lost a few pounds. 10 more days till my surgery April 4th.

I would also recommend checking with your doctor. If it helps knowing the clinic I work with has recently added unlimited non-starchy veggies to their pre-op diet. Based on research they feel it does not make a significant difference...I would still check with your doc though.

Had my pre-surgery class tonight and I will be going on a 2 week "meal replacement" diet prior to surgery. I have a couple of options either Protein Shakes or medifast. With both I will have 5 high Protein shakes, bars etc. and a "lean and green" dinner. Its funny because one of the limitations is under 100 grams of carbs which I don't think will be too bad. I survived Atkin's back in the day so hopefully all will be good.

My birthday is this week and I have a bunch of parties etc. this weekend and then I start on the 2 week plan on Monday.

Had my pre-surgery class tonight and I will be going on a 2 week "meal replacement" diet prior to surgery. I have a couple of options either Protein Shakes or medifast. With both I will have 5 high Protein shakes, bars etc. and a "lean and green" dinner. Its funny because one of the limitations is under 100 grams of carbs which I don't think will be too bad. I survived Atkin's back in the day so hopefully all will be good.

My birthday is this week and I have a bunch of parties etc. this weekend and then I start on the 2 week plan on Monday.

It's interesting to read how our pre-op diets vary. Have you decided if you are doing the Protein Shakes or the Medifast? Sounds like the timing of your pre-op diet is great, coming right after your birthday!

It's interesting to read how our pre-op diets vary. Have you decided if you are doing the Protein Shakes or the Medifast? Sounds like the timing of your pre-op diet is great, coming right after your birthday!

I have a friend who is a Medifast "Health Coach" that I will see tomorrow. I will discuss it with him but for now I am leaning toward the Protein shakes but I will need to see my options and costs.

It's great that we can express our mutual struggles and triumphs with this pre-op diet here. I must say....it is kicking my BUTT!!! I'm one week in and haven't really cheated. I say "really" because I'm not using Protein Shakes soley from the list the nutrionist gave me, but I made sure they closely compare to the listed shakes in terms of calories, carbs, and fat content. I'm feeling really jealous of those pre-op patient who get to have one "sensible" meal or any real food at all. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

The scale HAS been a great motivator. I will also remember to look at all my pre-op pictures to motivate me as suggested here.

I also need to add some Fiber to this liquid diet. I will use Metimucil and add it to my Water. I have been tracking my meals on my fitness pal.com and notice that on top of my Calcium w/ Vitamin D supplements, I am already taking in double the daily recommended Calcium dose with the 6 recommended shakes. I know this is contributing to my Constipation. I guess that's why i haven't noticed much gas. I may have to get a Vitamin D supplement seperate from my calcium to make sure I absorb the necessary calcium and don't worsen my known vit D deficiency. There I go being all technical. I just want to go to the bathroom): Oops TMI.