Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Prior To Surgery?

Sign in to follow this  

I thought it might be interesting to learn about the different types of diets being required before surgery.

My program requirements paperwork indicates I will need to be on a 1400 calorie diet at least two weeks prior to my surgery. That sounds like a lot of calories to me, but I will get the full details this Wednesday.

Today, I went to costco and bought some more Premier shakes. We do not live near a costco, so I had planned to stock up for those post-surgery days when I will need to get 60 grams of Protein daily from a liquid diet. I was surprised to discover Costco now has both chocolate and vanilla available. The vanilla box was imprinted with "new and improved," so maybe that's why vanilla was unavailable the last time I shopped at Costco.

I have not been told my diet yet by my surgeon but 2 friends used the same group a couple years ago so they sorta gave me heads up. All the fat free Jello and popscyle i want to eat. broth drained from chicken noodle and veggie Soup. they also named some other items that i did not take well heed of. They said they was only on it 1 week but i think i am going to do 2 weeks to be sure to have that liver down small so they can do my surgery without postponing in anyway. WIll fill in more when i get more info..

My surgeon requires a 2 week liquid 1000 kcal diet which consists mostly of Protein Shakes (6 to be exact). I'm jealous that so many get to have limited meals with their pre-op diet, but I have all intentions of following what my surgeon suggests for liver reduction. I'll be looking forward to the broth, Jello, and sugar free popsicles to break up the monotony since those items are also allowed. It's funny what you look forward to when you are on a limited diet.

My doctor wants a two week 800 cal liquid diet. Oh boy. I can do this!

I'm to do a 2 wk diet of 2 Protein Shakes and a no carb dinner. chicken, fish, or veggies. They want me to lose 10 lbs before my surgery date and I'm already down 6 lbs. without really working too hard at it. HOWEVER, that has been my pattern for the last 8 yrs. Lose 5, gain 6, ~ lose 3, gain 5, ~ lose 8, gain 12..... Ya, do the math and it's been a steady gain for years of struggling. So, I'll lose the 10 as required and can't wait to NOT put back on it back on this time!

I'm also stocking up on supplies for after my surgery. Tomatoe Soup from costco, butternut squash & carrot soup, my Protein, will start buying yogurt in the next few weeks and mashed potatoes. I think I'm going to start bagging up things in 4 oz containers or ziplocks so I have it handy. My sister had bypass (lost 125lbs) and suggested re-fried Beans with cheese. I love Mexican food so that could be a real treat for me.

I'm off to go shopping,

julz~

I wish we all lived close enough to go on a shopping expedition together. That would be a blast.

yes it would! I just bought a 5 lbs tub of my Protein

I'm to do a 2 wk diet of 2 Protein Shakes and a no carb dinner. chicken, fish, or veggies. They want me to lose 10 lbs before my surgery date and I'm already down 6 lbs. without really working too hard at it. HOWEVER, that has been my pattern for the last 8 yrs. Lose 5, gain 6, ~ lose 3, gain 5, ~ lose 8, gain 12..... Ya, do the math and it's been a steady gain for years of struggling. So, I'll lose the 10 as required and can't wait to NOT put back on it back on this time!

A few minutes ago, I asked about your weight loss requirement because I hadn't read this yet. 6 pounds lost! Sounds like you are already well on your way, and that's great!

I hope I get to do all Protein shakes. I am most successful when my plan is rigid.

I have to do a 2 week liquid 800 cal diet. I'm getting jealous of people that will be allowed to chew some "real" food before their surgery.

My Dr requires a 2 week liquid diet before surgery. 1000 cal 80 gr Protein daily if i dont lose before my pre-op apptment he will cancel surgery. I started on my diet as soon as he told me that but just not total liquid have been doing protien shakes for 2 of the 3 meals and have lost 8lbs so far starting the liqud diet only on the 19.

I received my pre-op diet today and was completely shocked when the NP said we were to start it today. I had anticipated two weeks before surgery since that's what the handout said.

She first provided us with a very detailed 7-day diet that told us exactly what we are to eat at each meal. However, she went on to say that they want us to limit our calorie intake to 1400 per day and that we could choose from a number of options such as meal substitution (Slim-Fast), established programs (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, TOPS), diet books (Atkins, South Beach), or counting calories. I am to pick the option that is best for me. Easy decision for me---counting calories.

The handout we received today states, "Two of the places excess fat can occur are in the liver and in the abdominal cavity. Having fat there makes surgery more difficult." I kept that in mind as I pushed my cart past the Reese's Peanut Butter eggs while shopping at Wal-mart this evening. (I had originally planned to buy one as a final treat before the two-week diet started.)

Before dismissing our group, she warned us to not gain weight and to emphasize her point, she told us our surgeon had already postponed three surgeries this week due to weight gain. That fact will hopefully help me stay on the straight and narrow path for the next few weeks.

I'm also stocking up on supplies for after my surgery.

I think I'm going to start bagging up things in 4 oz containers or ziplocks so I have it handy.

What a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion!

I received the instruction email today from my surgeon and time of surgery. 6pm! April 2. Wow! 6pm! surgeon will be exhausted by then! I will be staying overnight for sure, I assume. He wants me on a high Protein ZERO starch for the next 3 wks with lots of fruits and veggies. He's just asking for no weight gain between now and then. Fortunately, I have lost some. One week before surgery drop red meat, lettuce and leafy veggies. One day before surgery go on a full liquid diet. I can do this....getting excited ladies. Getting that email makes it seem really real......

Looks like today was the day for news. I had already received my pre-op diet info but I got the call for the scheduling of my pre op labs and tests. 22 days and counting!

I made cinamon sugar pancakes with a glaze Syrup this morning for Breakfast. I didn't eat one bite. I'm so proud. It was tough watching my husband, son, and daughter eat them though. It got easier toward the end. I just sat there with my Optifast chocolate Protein Shake and drank it. It tastes like too sweet chocolate milk. I know I'm going to get sick of it. It could be worse. It could taste like chalk, or heaven knows what else. I'll deal.

GLove- I'm so glad you are getting excited. I saw a post where you were having major doubts.

Yes, I've had doubts this past week but the replies to my posts were just what I needed to read PLUS having a very supportive husband who is keeping me on track. He was very much against this at first but now he believes it's the best thing for my health...and we all know that.... This has been THE hardest decision I've ever made.