Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I The Exception To The Rule???

I was banded on January 30th. After 5 days I started eating some mushy food for sbout 3 days and then started eating solids. I know it is against the rules, but thats me. I am now 36 days post op and have lost 21 pounds. I had my first fill today (4cc in an 11 cc band) and was told to have only liquids for today and then mushies for the next 2 days. As I said earlier, I break the rules and tonight I made a lean cuisine swedish meatball entre and ate it all. I was tired after the gym and did not feel like cooking. I feel as though I can probably eat more, but I am using pure will power not to. On the most part all that I eat is home made and pretty healthy stuff. I have never barfed or had heart burn, though twice I have gotten stuck. That was not pleasant.

I guess I was hoping that I would feel more full after a meal. My next doctors appt is scheduled for 5 weeks away. Am I on track with 21 lbs in 36 days? Is it normal not to feel full?

PS, my doc said to stop drinking Protein Shakes. She said I will get enough Protein by eating the foods I already eat without the added calories of the drink. I am beginning to feel as though my path is very differnt than most here. Anyone else feeling this way?

You probably still don't have too much restriction, which is why you're feeling hungry. Your next fill might be better. I'd be careful with eating right after the next one, though....it will become easier to get stuck the more fills you have. I've also been told solid Protein is better than liquid....however sometimes I need the liquid because I'm too tight to eat solids. As for your weight, you've lost 20 lbs in a month, so I'd say you're above the track! This will probably slow down though as you go along.

It all sounds pretty normal to me. I would agree that you need to take it slower when you have your next fill. You may need a couple more before you hit the green zone, but better safe than sorry on the next ones. I reached my green zone on fill number 2, so I'm glad I stuck to the liquids only rule for the day of that fill . I take it very slow and easy after any fill now .... lessons will be learned along the way.

Well, hope you haven't caused a slip. I followed EVERY rule exactly and I had one from vomiting after almost 6 months out. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones and do everything wrong and not have problems but why push the limit? My friend pushed it for 2 years and they had to take his band out totally and how he's regained probably 80% of the 200 plus pounds he lost. Is it really worth it?

This may come across as sounding harsh because you don't have the benefit of seeing my expressions or hearing my tone of voice. Such is the nature of the internet. Please be aware that I am not trying to be harsh.

Doctors don't make rules just for the sake of it. They are trained, experienced professionals, and while it may seem that every dr/surgeon has different rules, they are providing you with the best advice they know.

So follow your dr's rules. They are his/her best guidelines for you and your circumstances.

I read your post as "getting away with breaking the rules". This won't last. The band is a total lifestyle change and that is what your dr is trying to guide you through.

Good luck.

I don't find it harsh at all. I am not trying to get away with anything either. I am taking this very seriously though you may feel I am not. Its just that after reading the posts here, it seems as though the doctors rules are very broad. I have been taking bits and pieces that feel right to me. I know from previous injuries and surgerys that for the most part doctors can be very conservative due to malpractice lawsuits. As I said in my post, I have gotten stuck twice and that was an eye opener. I guess time and my body will tell me what is right.

Well, hope you haven't caused a slip. I followed EVERY rule exactly and I had one from vomiting after almost 6 months out. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones and do everything wrong and not have problems but why push the limit? My friend pushed it for 2 years and they had to take his band out totally and how he's regained probably 80% of the 200 plus pounds he lost. Is it really worth it?

his brings up a good point. How do you know if your band slipped? My first fill today was done without an xray and by a doctors assistant. I was told that on my next visit in 5 weeks I would be seeing the surgeon.

brings up a good point. How do you know if your band slipped? My first fill today was done without an xray and by a doctors assistant. I was told that on my next visit in 5 weeks I would be seeing the surgeon.

For me, I was sick and had a hard time keeping down solid foods. I was very nauseated and even when I took Phenergan to stop the nausea/vomiting, I would vomit. My Dr said that he didn't think that I had a "slip" but we got an upper GI before my regularly scheduled visit and there was, indeed, a slip. Now they totally unfilled me (I only had Fluid put in during surgery and have not had a fill since). It is very sad that I am following all the rules to the letter and then some people are eating everything they want, gulping down food, etc and have no problems for years (if at all). One girl said she had no symptoms at all when her band slipped and they only found it because he dr does all fills under fluoroscopy in his office. Other people say they have a lot of reflux especially at night and/or pain in their epigastric area, late night coughing, nausea and vomiting (some can't even keep down water). So there are a broad range of symptoms, I hope you haven't had that happen. It really sucks to have to worry that you may lose your tube and I never had one stuck incidence or any reflux or pb'ing EVER. Best of luck to you. Just really think about what could happen cause if you do have complications, you will be blaming yourself later even if you did everything right!

Im glad that you have adjusted so well. I know that it feels better to go ahead and eat rather than taking the baby steps the surgeon has requested, but I think the plan is two fold.....yes he wants to make sure your stomach can hald the food (the last thing you want to do is have a vomit spell) but two I think by starting out with the liquids, then purees, then mushies....You are allowing your body to adjust to less food.Allowing your body to get used to consuming and digesting less. Plus a know 21 pounds are awesome!! And that is something to be proud of......but I wonder what it would have been if you had stuck to the plan.

I dont think the path you have taken is that much different from what is in general the 'rules' of lapbandland you just deviated on the time line. Here in the Uk the advice from my surgeon after a fill is just be careful, and there isnt really the emphasis on Protein Shakes either. Fresh healthy food is what is promoted and that is what i have stuck to. You will probably feel more restriction with more fills. I had to do 4 weeks post - op liquids then 4 weeks mushies, so to me some of the timelines for post - op appear faster because of the difference in docotrs guidelines.

The advice from Doctors is normally cautionary but equally what they know works and has least risk of creating complications, in general it is safer to follow the doctors guidelines than not, but at least your openess about the path u chose was honest.. As long as you dont promote the 'i didnt follow the rules and i am ok' sort of philosophy then good luck to you ..

All i would suggest is that you have some of the 'softer' lean cuisine meals in the freezer to choose from post fill days ...

I know in Australia, generally speaking, the one rule we have is 'don't drink your calories'. We don't do Protein shakes. I don't do Protein Shakes.

You should be able to get enough Protein with the solids you eat. When I was losing, there were days where I was tight, but I didn't supplement my protein with shakes. I didn't put in any more than my band allowed me to in solids. If I was hungry, I ate more solid foods and did not drink my food.

I know in Australia, generally speaking, the one rule we have is 'don't drink your calories'. We don't do Protein shakes. I don't do Protein Shakes.< /p>

You should be able to get enough Protein with the solids you eat. When I was losing, there were days where I was tight, but I didn't supplement my protein with shakes. I didn't put in any more than my band allowed me to in solids. If I was hungry, I ate more solid foods and did not drink my food.

My Dr wants me to try to primarily eat my calories too. I don't eat but about 3/4 to 1 cup of food 2 or 3 times a day and being vegetarian, it really is hard to get in the 50plus grams of protein my nutritionist recommends for me plus the Fiber that I need for my IBS without eating too many carbs (still on a diebetic med and occasionally have to take a post-prandial med (after meals). A lot of people are "tight" in the mornings and can't eat so that is an acceptable time (via my Dr) to drink your meal, but otherwise he doesn't recommend it because it can make one more hungry. I'm never hungry and have to remind myself to eat my second meal a lot of the time. I'm older (51) and disabled now (I have a neurodegenerative disorder) and am so happy with the lap-band besides the slip (caused by being ill and vomiting). I was 300 lbs and now I'm below 220lbs in less than 6 months. Very happy indeed. Hoping that I continue to stay that way:)

PS : Even totally deflated and on liquids only for over a week, I'm not hungry...

I thank all for the wisdom, encouragement and good will. I am determined to succeed this time. I have been on a roller coaster most of my adult life with my weight and I am just tired of it. Last April, I had both of my knees replaced and the surgeon said that with each pound of excess weight I lost, I would gain extra years of usage out of them. That was one hell of a painful ordeal and one I do not want to repeat.

I am happy to hear the comments about the Protein Shakes because my pre-op classes nutritionist swore by them. Personally I dislike them. Seems like empty calories and I cannot stand the artificial sweeteners in them.

I was 320 pounds and pre-diabetic before my knee replacement surgery and it was then that I decided to do something about my weight. I sought out a nutritionist and with their guidance and my own willpower I lost 40 pounds. I was stuck at 380 pounds fora few months and was getting frustrated, dis-illusioned and depressed. My big body mind was not letting me forget my old lousy eating habits and my weight was starting to creep upwards That is when I made the decision to be banded. I finally releazide that will power was not enough. I needed another tool and now I have it. I just recently hit 250 pounds, I am in the gym at least 3 times a week and I am liking the new me.

With my new tool, sheer will power, dedication and discipline, I plan on being a lap band success story. The support on this forum is awesome and it really helps me get through the rough Patches. The seeds that I plant in my mind from here will definately help me reap success.

Thanks all

Stu

I am glad to hear that you are losing weight and exercising. Part of the lapband journey is figuring out what works for each of us. There are rules/guidelines to generally follow, but there is flexibility to those rules. Everyone has a different reaction to being banded and each person has to figure out what works for their body and their metabolism. This is what separates the lapband from a strict diet plan. The main benefit of the lapband for me, is it allows me to stick to a diet for an extended period of time (I would have given up 30 pounds ago, if I was on a traditional diet plan). Good luck on your journey and happy exercising!